Jamaica’s Inter-secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA) has suspended all its school competitions beginning Friday, March 13.

However, ISSA has advised that matches scheduled for today (Thursday, March 12) will go ahead as planned.

Among the competitions that will be suspended at the Headley Cup and Grace Shield cricket finals, girls’ basketball and football as well as high school volleyball.

The Headley Cup and Grace Shield semi-finals are set to take place today.

On Wednesday, ISSA in conjunction with GraceKennedy, the ministries of Health and Education, took the decision to cancel the ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls Championships scheduled for the end of March.

That decision was arrived at after the Ministry of Health announced that a woman arriving from the United Kingdom has tested positive for the Coronavirus that has so far infected more than 121,000 people across the globe. More than 4000 have died from the infection.

The 2020 ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls Championships have been cancelled because of the COVID-19 virus that has been categorized as a pandemic by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

The cancellation comes on the heels of Tuesday’s announcement that a Jamaican woman tested positive for the virus after arriving on the island on March 4.

Stakeholders of the 110-year-old championships - the Inter-secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA), sponsors GraceKennedy, the Ministry of Education and Ministry of Health – met Wednesday to determine the fate of the championships that like many other sporting events, were being threatened by the spread of the virus that has infected more than 121,000 people globally and killing over 4000.

On Tuesday, there was an indication that the championships were under threat of being cancelled when the organisers agreed to cancel the launch of five-day event that was to be held at the National Stadium in Kingston.

“We agreed that the appropriate measure at this time would be to postpone tomorrow’s launch, and proceed with further discussions about what action should be taken in terms of the actual event,” said ISSA President, Keith Wellington, who also revealed that was also in discussion with its associated sponsors.

 Title sponsors also took a position that suggested that a cancellation was the most appropriate measure to take that would be in the best interests of all concerned.

 “The Health Ministry has announced that infection prevention and control is a priority at this time,” said GraceKennedy Group CEO, Don Wehby in a statement Tuesday.

 “We take COVID-19 very seriously and are concerned about the health and wellness of the student-athletes and all involved in the execution of Champs, as well as the implications for the 35,000 persons in attendance at the National Stadium especially during the last two days. This is a decision we will be making in the nation’s best interest.”

 

 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.