New Bayern Munich winger Leroy Sane has made winning the Champions League his "top priority" in Bavaria.

Sane's long-awaited move from Manchester City to Bayern in his native Germany was confirmed on Friday.

The 24-year-old has signed a five-year contract following a transfer for which, Stats Perform News understands, Bayern have paid an initial €49million (£44.5m), potentially rising to €60m (£54.5m).

Sane was a Bayern target last year before injury ruled him out for much of the 2019-20 campaign, but he is delighted to have finalised the deal, quickly revealing some lofty ambitions.

"FC Bayern is a great club with big goals and these goals suit me as well," Sane said. "I'm looking forward to the new challenge and can't wait to train with the team.

"I know Hansi Flick from the under-21 national team, we had a very good relationship there.

"I want to win as many trophies as possible with FC Bayern, and the Champions League is the top priority."

Sane will not be available for Bayern in this season's Champions League, however, with the Bundesliga champions considered among the favourites ahead of August's eight-team finals.

Meanwhile, Bayern sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic thanked City for "trusting and constructive negotiations", and the Premier League club wished Sane well.

Manager Pep Guardiola, formerly of Bayern, said: "We wish Leroy all the best in this new chapter of his career.

"Leroy has been part of one of the most special periods in this club's history and he leaves with the best wishes of everyone here at Manchester City."

City director of football Txiki Begiristain added: "From arriving as a fledgling young talent four years ago, we are proud of the contribution Leroy has made since joining Manchester City.

"He leaves with many friends and fond memories of his time at the Etihad."

Sane scored 39 goals in 135 appearances for City in all competitions, helping Guardiola's side to win the Premier League and EFL Cup in 2017-18 followed by a domestic treble the following season.

He addressed the City fans on his Twitter page, writing: "Thanks so much for the great time and all the support over the past four years.

"It has been a really intense and successful time which I surely won't forget."

Bayern Munich's approach to conducting transfer business will not change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, according to the club's sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic. 

Clubs across the globe face financial uncertainty amid the COVID-19 outbreak and it remains to be seen what sort of impact the health crisis will have on teams' dealings in the market.

Salihamidzic recognises the challenges that await in terms of recruitment but says Bayern have always acted with prudence when it comes to signing players.

In an interview with Bayern magazine '51', he said: "Nobody needs a crystal ball to predict that our society and therefore all clubs will face major tests in the short and medium term. 

"Squad planning is always challenging, regardless of corona. We have to think even more creatively. 

"Before corona, the market had taken absurd moves. However, I can only speak for Bayern and say that we have always managed reasonably in this heated phase. 

"We will continue to handle this in the future. How we see football, which economic principles we follow and how we want to act in the transfer market does not change. And there are always opportunities in crises.

"In success, not losing sight of those who are not doing so well, [we have] always had a culture at FC Bayern. Compassion, solidarity, support - we will also try to live on for the European idea in this difficult time. Corona will challenge us all like nothing before. But we at FC Bayern are up to the task."

Bayern are top of the Bundesliga by seven points with five matches remaining.

Bayern Munich are confident they have scared off the mole whose leaks threatened to scupper crunch contract talks with captain Manuel Neuer.

Star goalkeeper Neuer had revealed his irritation at news of negotiations reaching the German media, even if the details were not always accurate.

The Germany international scoffed at talk of him demanding a five-year deal but appeared to indicate there were accurate aspects of private negotiations reaching the public domain.

In an interview last weekend, Neuer said his long-held sense of "appreciation" at Bayern was being affected by details emerging in the press.

Alarmed by the prospect of skipper Neuer having his trust in the club affected, Bayern have taken steps to quash the prospect of any further leaks.

"We have clarified this internally," said sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic. "And since nothing has become known since then, I assume that the mole has moved on."

Speaking to the Welt am Sonntag newspaper, Salihamidzic underlined Bayern's desire to see 34-year-old Neuer commit to the club beyond his current deal, which expires after the 2020-21 season.

"Manuel knows that we really appreciate him," Salihamidzic said. "I played with Oliver Kahn. I know how good a world-class goalkeeper is for a team.

"Manuel is a world-class goalkeeper. He is highly valued in our club. I hope we can extend the contract with Manuel."

Bayern head coach Hansi Flick has vowed Neuer will remain his first choice next season, despite the impending arrival of Alexander Nubel from Schalke.

Bayern Munich are poised to land two major signings after revealing they are chasing a top player from Europe and a world star.

The reigning Bundesliga champions harbour ambitions to dominate further afield and are prepared to back boss Hansi Flick in the transfer market.

Bayern last won the Champions League in 2013 and remained in the hunt this season before UEFA put its competitions on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic.

From next season, they could be all the more powerful if their recruitment ambitions are realised.

Sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic told the Welt am Sonntag newspaper: "We want to strengthen ourselves with a top talent from Europe and also bring an international star to Munich, who enhances the quality of our team and helps the team to offer our spectators strong and attractive football.

"I and all of us here want to win the Champions League - without becoming economically unreasonable."

RB Leipzig striker Timo Werner and Manchester City winger Leroy Sane are among the players to have been linked with possible moves to Bayern at the end of the 2019-20 season.

Bayern were soaring clear domestically before the Bundesliga was paused in March, and will hope to wrap up a 30th German league title if the season resumes.

The DFL, Germany's league authority, hopes the competition can resume in early May but will need government approval for that to happen.

Hasan Salihamidzic insisted Bayern Munich were in no rush to enter contract talks with their stars, preferring to focus on challenging on several fronts.

Bayern moved into the DFB-Pokal quarter-finals by overcoming Hoffenheim 4-3 on Wednesday.

They are top of the Bundesliga and into the last 16 of the Champions League, and that is the focus for the German giants despite the likes of Manuel Neuer, Thomas Muller, Javi Martinez, David Alaba and Thiago Alcantara coming out of contract next year.

"We will certainly have talks, but in the next few weeks we will concentrate on the competitions," Bayern sporting director Salihamidzic told reporters.

"It's important that we are totally focused on the games in the upcoming weeks. That's where the focus lies."

Asked if he was worried about other clubs potentially looking at the stars coming out of contract, Salihamidzic said: "No. Sure, this can happen with top players, but we have had good experience with concentrating on the competitions first and that's what we will do.

"But like I said before, we will have talks, the players know about it and there are no problems."

Bayern are back in action with a top-of-the-table Bundesliga clash at home to RB Leipzig on Sunday.

Hansi Flick was disappointed Bayern Munich took their foot off the pedal after 30 minutes of a 3-1 win at Mainz, although he was "thrilled" with a dominant initial spell.

Bayern all but sealed victory inside 26 minutes of Saturday's Bundesliga clash, scoring through in-form trio Robert Lewandowski, Thomas Muller and Thiago Alcantara.

But Mainz hit back through Jeremiah St. Juste on the stroke of half-time, and the defending champions, who moved top with victory, failed to rediscover their impressive early rhythm.

Head coach Flick was left a little disappointed by what he saw from his side in the final hour.

"I am happy that we won a sixth game in a row," he said. "I was thrilled with the first 30 minutes. After that, we showed too little, we slowed down.

"At the corner [from which St Juste scored] just before the break, I would have liked the team to be a little different. Then after the break, we slowed it down.

"You have to say that these 60 minutes were not 'Bayern-like'.

"But Mainz have their qualities in attack, which they have shown a few times today. We defended against them well and are going home with three points."

Sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic had little issue with the way Bayern saw the game out, however.

"This Mainz team is very dangerous with fast players up front," he said. "That's why we always had to be careful.

"So, we are satisfied, we won. We played through to the end and did our job."

In the league, Bayern next face title rivals RB Leipzig, who rescued a late point at home to Borussia Monchengladbach on Saturday but still dropped to second.

Bayern Munich head coach Hansi Flick has asked for January signings and the club are working to fulfil his request, but Hasan Salihamidzic confirmed Leroy Sane will not join this month.

Sporting director Salihamidzic addressed the media as Bayern take part in a mid-season training camp in Doha, Qatar.

He revealed Bayern are working with Flick, installed as coach at least until the end of the season following Niko Kovac's sacking in November, on moves for the present transfer window.

Salihamidzic had previously said of January: "I don't think much will happen."

However, at a news conference on Thursday, Salihamidzic told reporters: "Hansi Flick has assessed the current situation and has come to the conclusion that we need to strengthen. Hansi and I are in constant contact.

"We are considering every option, but it is difficult to strengthen our squad during the winter break."

However, Germany international Sane, long linked with a switch from Manchester City, will not be among any new recruits.

Salihamidzic did not deny Bayern would renew their interest at the end of the season but, with Sane still sidelined following a serious knee injury, a January deal was ruled out.

"It is not an issue for the winter [window]," he said.

Bayern have this month already agreed to sign Alexander Nubel, who will leave Schalke on a free transfer at the end of the season, seemingly putting star goalkeeper Manuel Neuer under pressure.

But Salihamidzic has assured there is an understanding with Nubel, 23, that Neuer will remain first choice for the start of the next campaign.

"Alexander Nubel will be a huge asset for FC Bayern," he said. "He is ambitious and a top character.

"Alexander knows that Manuel Neuer is our number one. He is looking forward to working with Manu."

Bayern Munich sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic says the club are "keeping all options open" with regards to January signings.

Reigning champions Bayern are third in Bundesliga at the midway stage, four points adrift of leaders RB Leipzig after an indifferent first half to the campaign.

Hansi Flick has been placed in caretaker charge until the end of the season after replacing Niko Kovac in November and revealed last week he is after a new right-back.

Bayern set off for their training camp in Doha on Saturday, though injured stars Robert Lewandowski, Javi Martinez, Kingsley Coman and Niklas Sule were all missing.

And Salihamidzic intends to evaluate the squad before further discussing possible transfer targets with boss Flick.

"We keep all options open and see how the training camp is going, what the coach may need and then we will react accordingly or not," he told reporters.

Defender Jerome Boateng has been told by Flick he can leave this month should he wish, but the Germany international is part of Bayern's 26-man party in Doha.

Asked for an update on Boateng's future, Salihamidzic said: "He comes to the training camp like any other player and will train there normally."

Bayern won four successive matches heading into the mid-season break and return to action on January 19 with a trip to Hertha Berlin.

Salihamidzic, who is to be promoted to Bayern's executive board in July, insists that a domestic and European treble remains the target over the next five months.

"We have big goals," he said. "Our goal is always the Bundesliga and the Pokal. 

"We also want to fight our opponent in the Champions League and reach the next round. It will be difficult. But we now have enough time to prepare for Chelsea."

Bayern confirmed on Saturday that an agreement has been reached to sign goalkeeper Alexander Nubel once his Schalke contract expires at the end of the season.

Bayern Munich are unlikely to sign Manchester City winger Leroy Sane in January, according to sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic.

The Bundesliga champions were tipped to try to bring Sane to the Allianz Arena in the previous transfer window before a serious knee injury prevented any potential deal.

Bild reported this week that Sane would be keen on moving to Bayern in the January window, even though he is unlikely to be fully fit again until the spring.

Salihamidzic, though, does not think it likely there will be much movement in the market next month.

"It's not good to speak about players from other clubs," he told Sky ahead of Bayern's clash with Wolfsburg on Saturday.

"We will leave all options open for us in the transfer market, but I don't think much will happen."

Speaking this week, interim Bayern boss Hansi Flick said the Sane talk was "not an issue" as he promised to focus on ending 2019 with a positive result.

Bayern went into Saturday's game four points behind Bundesliga leaders RB Leipzig and second-placed Borussia Monchengladbach.

Bayern Munich sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic strongly dismissed reports linking Thomas Muller with a January exit from the Bundesliga champions.

Muller has been heavily linked to struggling Premier League giants Manchester United and Serie A outfit Inter since revealing he was considering his future at Bayern.

Frustrated with his lack of game time under Niko Kovac, Germany international Muller has started Bayern's last two matches, including Saturday's 2-1 win over Union Berlin.

Amid the speculation regarding Muller, Salihamidzic told Sky Sport pre-game: "We have two long-term injuries, and you're trying to convince us that we're giving someone up.

"This is a novel you write all the time. We are not thinking about the players we should give up but looking to bring the team back to running again and playing stable football."

After the match, which was won by Benjamin Pavard and Robert Lewandowski, Muller joked about the rumours.

"I've heard that it will be colder here from Monday, then I have the change in air here too," the 30-year-old said.

Muller emerged from Bayern's youth system in 2008, and he has since won eight Bundesliga trophies with the Bavarian powerhouse.

He has also celebrated Champions League, UEFA Super Cup, FIFA Club World Cup, DFB-Pokal and DFL-Supercup titles during his time in Munich.

Lars Lukas Mai has signed a new contract with Bayern Munich, keeping him with the Bundesliga champions until June 2022.

The 19-year-old defender joined the German giants at under-16 level in 2014 and made two league appearances for the senior side two seasons ago.

Mai's existing deal was due to expire at the end of the 2020-21 campaign, but the ex-Dynamo Dresden prospect has agreed terms to stay on for a further 12 months.

Bayern announced the renewal on Friday and Mai said: "I'm very glad about the contract extension and the trust placed in me. 

"I'd like to take the next step in my development, and I think there's no better place for that than FC Bayern."

A regular for Bayern's reserve side over the past two seasons, Mai is highly regarded at the Allianz Arena and has been named on the bench three times in the Bundesliga this term.

Sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic said: "Lukas is a good lad and one of our biggest talents. 

"At the age of 19, he's already one of the key players for our reserves in the third division. We're convinced he'll continue to develop."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.