Club president Josep Maria Bartomeu highlighted Barcelona's economic strength and vowed to use the money to continue renovating the squad.

LaLiga champions Barca announced in September they are aiming to become the first sports club to generate revenue exceeding €1billion (£810.8bn) after making a profit for an eighth season in a row in 2018-19.

Antoine Griezmann, Frenkie de Jong, Neto and Junior Firpo came in during the close season, while Malcom, Jasper Cillessen, Andre Gomes, Paco Alcacer and Denis Suarez were offloaded on permanent transfers.

A deal for Paris Saint-Germain forward Neymar notably did not go through, though, with Barcelona reportedly lacking money to fund a blockbuster return.

Addressing the club's members at Sunday's General Assembly, Bartomeu emphasised the importance of bringing in new talent while continuing to spend within their means.

"We have to continue renovating the squad to continue with this natural evolution with talent from both home and abroad," he said. "We are sure this will be a winning generation.

"I want to say that things are going well. It's a fact - we are the club that has the most revenue generated in the world of sport. 

"It should be remembered that on September 19, the club presented budgets that contemplated more than one billion euros in revenue."

On the field, Barcelona retained their LaLiga crown last season but exited the Champions League at the semi-final stage and lost in the Copa del Rey final.

However, Bartomeu pointed out the Catalan giants have overtaken their closest rivals in terms of major honours won over the past 15 years.

"Since 2004, Barcelona have never stopped to go for glory," he said. "We have changed coaches, players, managers, and bosses, but Barca never stopped winning.

"We have won 34 titles in the last 15 years. We are on top of the rankings compared to all European teams."

Bartomeu, whose presidency runs through until 2021, also confirmed renovation work on Camp Nou will not be complete until 2024, three years later than initially planned.

"We are waiting for the necessary licenses to start the renovation of the Camp Nou stadium," he said. "Summer 2020 will be the first summer out of the four which we will need to finish our new stadium."

Carles Puyol has turned down an offer to become Barcelona's sporting director.

Club president Josep Maria Bartomeu revealed earlier in September that LaLiga giants Barca were in talks with Puyol over the former Spain defender taking up a position at Camp Nou.

Puyol played 593 matches in all competitions for Barcelona, while making 100 appearances for Spain, winning the 2008 Euros and 2010 World Cup.

He retired at the end of the 2013-14 season, having spent his entire club career with Barca.

However, the 41-year-old declined the chance to return to the club in a director capacity, stating personal commitments would prevent him being able to give his all to the job.

"In recent weeks, different news about my possible incorporation at Barcelona as sporting director has been published," Puyol tweeted.

"That is why I feel obliged to communicate to the whole family that, after weighing [the offer] up a lot, I have decided not to accept the club's offer.

"It wasn't an easy decision, given that I have always said that I would like to return to what I consider my home, but different personal projects in which I find myself immersed in impede me at this moment from giving the exclusive dedication that the post deserves.

"I would like to thank the club for the trust placed in me by offering me this position of so much responsibility."

The sporting director role has been vacant since Pep Segura relinquished his duties in July.

Barcelona players have no input into transfers and were not against the signing of Antoine Griezmann, according to club president Josep Maria Bartomeu. 

Reports in Spain claimed Ernesto Valverde's squad opposed the pursuit of France international Griezmann, who moved to Camp Nou from Atletico Madrid for €120million in July.

The LaLiga champions almost secured his signature 12 months earlier, but the forward ultimately chose to spend a fifth season at Atletico.

That decision was said to have upset Barca's senior players, including Lionel Messi, who reportedly favoured the return of former team-mate Neymar.

"The dressing room did not reject us signing Griezmann," Bartomeu told Barca TV.

"The players don't give their opinions on signings, it is the technical team who decide."

Barca ramped up their interest in Neymar after capturing Griezmann but were unable to come to terms with Paris Saint-Germain before the transfer window closed on September 2.

Another target, Matthijs de Ligt, opted to join Juventus, yet Bartomeu insists head coach Valverde has the tools at his disposal to forge a highly successful campaign.

"This squad is more competitive than last season's," he said.

"It's a small squad, but very competitive. Ernesto Valverde accepts the level of demand and I am expecting a lot from this season.

"De Ligt was one of our targets, but he decided not to come to Barca."

Lionel Messi has the option to leave Barcelona for free at the end of the season, but Josep Maria Bartomeu expects the club's talisman to stay.

Messi signed his latest contract in 2017, with the deal running until the end of the 2020-21 campaign.

However, reports in newspaper El Pais suggested the 32-year-old would be able to move away from Camp Nou on a free transfer in 2020.

Club president Bartomeu has now confirmed those reports, though he insisted Barcelona are not worried Messi will take up the option to leave, revealing Andres Iniesta, Xavi and Carles Puyol all had similar clauses.

"Messi has a contract that we signed two years ago and it runs for four years," Bartomeu told Barcelona's website.

"Before the last season, 2020-21, he can leave Barcelona, retire from football or play where he likes.

"Iniesta, Xavi and Puyol also had those clauses. For those players and Leo Messi, we don't need to worry.

"I doubt he'd want to play for another club, but he has earned liberty over his future. He's a big Barca fan and I have no doubt he'll want to continue until 2021 and we hope another year too."

Messi sustained an injury during pre-season and is yet to make an appearance this term, with Barcelona having gained just four points from their opening three LaLiga fixtures.

Barcelona halted negotiations over the transfer of Neymar when Paris Saint-Germain altered their demands, according to Josep Maria Bartomeu.

Neymar was heavily linked with a return to Camp Nou throughout the transfer window, with PSG publicly confirming the Brazil star wished to leave Parc des Princes.

But no transfer materialised and Neymar will remain part of Thomas Tuchel's squad, with Barcelona president Bartomeu ruling out a move for the forward in January.

Bartomeu revealed negotiations were extensive, though only because PSG's sporting director Leonardo indicated the Ligue 1 champions would be willing to sell the 27-year-old.

However, Bartomeu has claimed a move for Neymar was never likely to come to fruition once PSG changed their demands.

"In the winter window he's not an option," said Bartomeu in an interview with Barcelona's website. "The planning for next season is done in January, February.

"That will be when we get back to talking about the topic. But [not] if PSG keep asking for such high figures.

"We heard Neymar wanted to leave PSG and there was a moment when Leonardo opened the door to negotiations, for other clubs too.

"But during the negotiations, when the new demands of PSG appeared, we said that they were unassailable. We decided to stop the conversations.

"It's a sporting decision. The technical team said we should try to sign him. He would have been an extra for the squad. We didn't arrive at a deal because we could not match PSG's demands."

Numerous Barcelona players – including Ivan Rakitic, Ousmane Dembele and Philippe Coutinho – were reportedly considered in a swap deal, but Bartomeu insisted those names were not put forward by his club.

"Barca never put names on the table, they are players that PSG put there," Bartomeu said. "We could not match their demands."

Though Neymar did not arrive, Barca did spend €120million on Antoine Griezmann, while Frenkie de Jong – signed in January from Ajax – completed his €75million move.

Barca have made an indifferent start to their LaLiga campaign, losing to Athletic Bilbao and drawing with Osasuna either side of a 5-2 win over Real Betis.

Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu says more signings are anticipated before the close of the LaLiga transfer window as speculation over a bid for Neymar continues.

The Spanish champions secured the arrival of Junior Firpo from Real Betis on Sunday in a deal that could be worth €30million.

Barca have spent upwards of €230m on new players in 2019, with Antoine Griezmann, Frenkie de Jong, Neto and Emerson among those to arrive in the close season.

They are reportedly in negotiations for the season-long loan of Paris Saint-Germain star Neymar, who is pushing to leave the Ligue 1 champions just two years on from his world-record €222m move from Barca.

Such a deal, that would likely include an option to buy in 2020, would help Barca balance their spending while negating the need to sell several first-team players before the window closes on September 2.

Bartomeu thinks more arrivals at Camp Nou are certainly possible in the coming weeks.

"We have a stronger squad, with more potential," he said.

"There are still several weeks left for the market to close and we could have more incomings.

"We have an ambitious and incredible squad, led by the best player in the world and in history, Leo Messi."

Neymar watched on as PSG beat Rennes 2-1 in Shenzhen to win the Trophee des Champions for the seventh year in a row.

The Brazil international was dragged into medal celebrations by Marco Verratti and appeared in good spirits, despite PSG sporting director Leonardo confirming last month the player wants to leave.

There was then a moment of controversy when Kylian Mbappe, who scored PSG's first goal, appeared to push Neymar out of the way as the team celebrated with the trophy in front of photographers on the pitch.

Barcelona have opened talks with Atletico Madrid in a bid to bring Antoine Griezmann to Camp Nou.

The discussions were confirmed by Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu on Friday.

Bartomeu held a press conference that was dominated by transfer talk, with the saga of whether Griezmann will be coming to Barcelona seemingly a significant step closer to being resolved.

He said: "There is interest in Griezmann. [On Thursday] our CEO, Oscar Grau, met with Miguel Angel Gil."

Gil is the chief executive at Atletico, who were rocked by France striker Griezmann's announcement in May that he intends to leave the club.

A complicating factor in 28-year-old Griezmann coming to Barcelona may be the possibility of Neymar returning to the club from Paris Saint-Germain, where he appears unsettled.

However, paying the reported €120million release clause for Griezmann would appear more straightforward than persuading the French champions to sell their Brazil superstar.

Bartomeu said: "We know that Neymar wants to leave PSG, but we also know that PSG do not want him to go."

According to Marca, Bartomeu said he considered Barcelona's Ousmane Dembele "better than Neymar", and dismissed any suggestion Lionel Messi had asked him to bring Neymar back to the club.

One man who looks like making a Barcelona comeback is the club's former long-serving goalkeeper Victor Valdes, who is primed for a possible coaching role.

Bartomeu said: "I have spoken with Victor Valdes. We would be delighted to have him return home, and in the coming days we will see what position we can offer him."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.