The Indianapolis 500 has been postponed until August 23 due to the coronavirus crisis.

May 24 was due to be the date for the most prestigious motor race in the United States, but it has been put back three months.

Fernando Alonso will be among the drivers at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway as the two-time Formula One world champion makes another attempt to complete the triple crown - winning the Monaco Grand Prix, Le Mans and Indy 500.

Track owner Roger Penske said: "The Month of May at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is my favourite time of year, and like our fans, I am disappointed that we have had to reschedule the Indianapolis 500.

"However, the health and safety of our event participants and spectators is our top priority, and we believe that postponing the event is the responsible decision with the conditions and restrictions we are facing.

"We will continue to focus on ways we can enhance the customer experience in the months ahead, and I’m confident we will welcome fans with a transformed facility and a global spectacle when we run the world's greatest race."

There will be practice sessions at the track on August 12 and 13, with Fast Friday to come the following day. Indy 500 qualification will be staged on August 15-16.

Fernando Alonso will race for Arrow McLaren SP at the Indianapolis 500 as the two-time former Formula One world champion aims to compete motorsport's triple crown.

Alonso, who won the F1 championship with Renault in 2005 and 2006, made his debut appearance at the Indy 500 in 2017, then returned for a second attempt at glory last year.

The Spaniard finished 24th in his first experience while racing for McLaren Honda Andretti, before failing to qualify in 2019 on behalf of McLaren Racing.

However, Alonso has now joined McLaren's new team as he looks to achieve the famous hat-trick of motorsport's most famous races, having already won the Le Mans 24 Hours and also the Monaco Grand Prix in F1.

He will fill McLaren's third car in the race, which takes place in May, with Patricio O'Ward and Oliver Askew in the first two seats.

"It's one of the most iconic races in the motorsport calendar and I'm extremely happy to be in the month of May again," Alonso told Sky Sports and NBC Sports in a joint interview.

"Last year we had some issues and it was not the race we were expecting, but this year we go again with the aim to do well and to win the race.

"Once you experience the Indy 500 it will remain always in your heart. The fans are amazing, the show is unbelievable and the race itself you know why it's one of the greatest in the calendar."

McLaren confirmed in August last year that they would be returning to full-time IndyCar competition the first time since 1979.

Fernando Alonso has confirmed he will race in the Indy 500 next year, but has left the door open on a return to Formula One in 2021.

The 38-year-old, a two-time F1 world champion, intends to return to Indianapolis as he once again tries to become just the second man after Graham Hill to win motorsport's triple crown of Le Mans, F1's Monaco Grand Prix and the Indy 500.

Alonso first won in Monaco in 2006 and has added two Le Mans victories over the past two years, along with the World Endurance Championship and the Daytona 24 Hours Classic.

However, success at the Indy 500 has provided elusive, with Alonso leading through 27 laps in 2017 but retiring 24 laps from the end due to engine failure.

"I will definitely do Indy. Let's see how the next weeks unfold," he told BBC Sport.

"Indy is the only one missing. If I do that after winning Le Mans, WEC, Daytona, there is nothing more I could ask. Definitely I will try again."

Beyond that, Alonso admitted he could return to F1.

A world champion in 2005 and 2006, Alonso has not raced in the sport since the 2018 season but a comeback in 2021 is possible should he decide he is missing the thrill of F1 racing.

"First I want to do Dakar and Indy and then see if I'm missing F1," he added.

"This year, it was nice to be out of the F1 bubble but my friends are saying, 'Now you are out of F1 it is the time to enjoy life a bit'. And I say that what makes me happy is to race.

"F1 is still a possibility. The 2021 rules are quite interesting. Maybe it will move things around a bit and make the cars easier to race. If it turns out I miss F1, I am open to coming back.

"Also the driver market is very open for 2021, so there is no hurry to make a decision."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.