Maurizio Sarri has defended his decision to leave Emre Can and Mario Mandzukic out of Juventus' Champions League squad.

The pair were surprise omissions from the Italian champions' selection for the group stage of the competition, which begins next week with a trip to Atletico Madrid.

Can admitted to being "furious" and "shocked" at Sarri's selection call and said he was not given an explanation as to why he was overlooked.

Sarri has previously expressed concern about the size of his bloated squad and insisted at Friday's news conference that he made the "necessary" decision in leaving out Can and Mandzukic.

"It wasn't easy or pleasing to make the choices I had to for the Champions League list, but it was necessary," he said.

"I'm sorry because two important players were left out. However, these difficulties demonstrate the strength of our squad."

Asked if he expected the reaction from Can, Sarri said: "It's normal that when a player suffers from a strong and impactful choice that there's an emotional aspect involved. 

"We must give him the opportunity to let out how he is feeling. I'm of the right age to understand these kinds of reactions."

Can played the final five minutes of Germany's 2-0 win against Northern Ireland on Monday, having been an unused sub for the loss to Netherlands, and he may get the nod to start Juve's trip to Fiorentina on Saturday.

Juventus are back in action four days later when travelling to Atletico in the Champions League and Sarri is ready to make full use of his big squad.

"At this moment our attention must be on the league," he said. "Then we will think about the cup. 

"We are in a moment in which the team must take its own identity. We must fight the difficulty that is having many players who have played very little in the last period."

Among those pushing for inclusion is midfielder Aaron Ramsey, who has not featured in a competitive game since arriving from Arsenal during the close season because of a muscle injury.

"A few weeks ago he was far behind his team-mates from the physical point of view," Sarri said. 

"In the last 10 days I have seen progress in training. He is not yet at his best but if his evolution continues he can soon return to a high level."

Emre Can says he is still committed to Juventus after an initial angry reaction to being left out of the club's squad for the group stage of the Champions League.

The midfielder and Mario Mandzukic were notable absentees from Maurizio Sarri's group, with new signings Adrien Rabiot and Aaron Ramsey among those preferred.

Before training with Germany on Wednesday, Can confirmed he had held talks with Rabiot's former club Paris Saint-Germain over a transfer to the Ligue 1 champions before Monday's deadline.

The 25-year-old said he was "extremely shocked" at being omitted by Juve, adding: "I got a call yesterday. The phone call was not even one minute long."

However, Can appears to regret making those comments as he used social media to clarify the situation later in the day.

"I will always be grateful to Juventus and how they supported and stood by me since I am part of the club, particularly during my time of illness," he posted on Twitter.

"Out of respect to Juventus and my team-mates, whose success has always been my first priority, I won't say anything more and will continue fighting on the pitch."

Can, who has only played 30 minutes in Serie A this term, made six Champions League appearances for Juve last term.

Juve have been drawn in Group D alongside LaLiga leaders Atletico Madrid, Bayer Leverkusen and Lokomotiv Moscow.

Niklas Sule has backed Germany team-mate Emre Can to bounce back following his surprise omission from Juventus' Champions League squad.

Juve head coach Maurizio Sarri criticised a transfer policy that left him with a bloated squad during the close season, and Can and Mario Mandzukic were the odd men out when the Serie A champions named their party for Europe's premier club competition on Tuesday.

Can told reporters he was "extremely shocked" by the decision and claimed he was given assurances to the contrary by Sarri, which persuaded him against seeking a transfer away from Turin.

Speaking at a news conference ahead of Germany's Euro 2020 qualifier against Netherlands in Hamburg, Bayern Munich defender Sule stated he expects the former Liverpool midfielder's focus to be unwavering.

"Emre is a guy you don't really have to build up," he said. "He is a consistently positive boy.

"I've known him since the under-13s, where we played together for Eintracht Frankfurt. 

"I'm not involved in this topic and don't know what the coach at Juventus was thinking. But I think Emre knows that well.

"He won't let it get to him and he's an outstanding player - that's without question.

"You can't always influence everything in football. There are decisions, there are other cases.

"We are not in an individual sport here. In golf you can always decide for yourself what you want to do. We are dependent on the coach.

"If he thinks that's the case, then you have to accept that. Nevertheless, I think [Can] won't let it get to him and is fully focused here on the two games."

Sule is relishing meeting one of his most celebrated contemporaries at Volksparkstadion on Friday.

Liverpool and Netherlands centre-back Virgil van Dijk was named UEFA Player of the Year last week and a fellow member of the defenders' union is certainly an admirer of the 28-year-old's qualities at both ends of the field.

"I've played him a few times now. He has an incredible physical presence," Sule said.

"I always had to cover him in the national team at set-pieces. That's when I realised what a guy he is. I'm not exactly skinny either!

"I can see a lot from his offensive headers. He does that really well. He also scored an important goal for Liverpool against us at Bayern.

"We definitely have to deal with how we defend that. He played an outstanding season.

"He is also rightly in contention [for the Ballon d'Or]. That's also nice for a defender, to see that a defensive player could win it."

Emre Can has accused Juventus of breaking a promise by leaving him out of their Champions League squad.

The German midfielder was not included on the 22-player list submitted by Juventus to UEFA, meaning he can play no part in the group stage.

Can claims that conflicts with what he was promised just days ago and insisted he "must and will" play in the competition, an indication he could push for a move in January.

The selection setback comes after former Liverpool player Can held talks with Paris Saint-Germain, only to decide to remain with the Italian champions.

"I had a talk with the club [PSG]. In the end I decided with the club [Juventus] that I would stay. And as you can see, I'm not in the squad for the Champions League," Can said, before training with Germany on Wednesday.

"I was extremely shocked yesterday because I was promised something else last week. They told me something else.

"If I had drawn my own conclusions, I honestly wouldn't have stayed. Because for me it was a condition to play in the Champions League.

"The shock is extremely deep in me. I can't explain it to myself. I have no idea why, because last year I played very well, especially in the Champions League. There has also been no justification until now."

Head coach Maurizio Sarri picked close-season signings Adrien Rabiot and Aaron Ramsey ahead of Can in his midfield ranks for the European games, with Juventus due to play Atletico Madrid, Bayer Leverkusen and Lokomotiv Moscow.

"I got a call yesterday. The phone call was not even one minute long," said 25-year-old Can. "And I was simply told that I was not there. Although they told me last week that I will play 100 per cent in the Champions League.

"I must and will play in the Champions League. I will talk to the club when I come back. And I will see what happens."

Juventus have left Emre Can and Mario Mandzukic out of their Champions League squad.

Midfielder Can, who joined from Liverpool on a free transfer in 2018, has been overlooked in favour of Sami Khedira, Blaise Matuidi, Miralem Pjanic and new signings Aaron Ramsey and Adrien Rabiot.

Mandzukic, who scored in the Champions League final defeat to Real Madrid in 2017, misses out in favour of Gonzalo Higuain, Cristiano Ronaldo, Paulo Dybala, Juan Cuadrado and Federico Bernardeschi in attack.

Experienced defender Giorgio Chiellini has also been left out as he is expected to be sidelined for approximately six months following surgery on a damaged anterior cruciate ligament.

Head coach Maurizio Sarri expressed concern last month that he would be forced to omit senior players from the 22-man list for the group stage given the size of his squad.

He branded the club's transfer policy "embarrassing" as Juve struggled to offload stars to accommodate the arrivals of several new players, including Rabiot, Ramsey, Matthijs de Ligt, Danilo, Luca Pellegrini, Merih Demiral and Gianluigi Buffon.

"We have to cut six players from the Champions League squad," he said. "If we don't, the choices we have are crazy.

"The last 20 days of the [transfer] market will be difficult for us. It's a difficult, embarrassing situation, because we risk leaving top players out of the squad list.

"It's a situation we have to resolve, and it's not strictly connected to the choices of the coach or club."

Juve are in Group D of the Champions League alongside Atletico Madrid, Bayer Leverkusen and Lokomotiv Moscow.

They begin their campaign against Atletico at the Wanda Metropolitano on September 18.

Barcelona are officially making a move for Neymar and Paris Saint-Germain are set to reject their offer.

The Neymar saga is seemingly no closer to ending as the Brazil star looks to leave the Ligue 1 champions before the transfer window closes on September 2.

Barca are set to at least make a bid as they aim to get a deal done for their former star, but it will be rejected.

 

TOP STORY – PSG TO REJECT BARCELONA'S LOAN BID FOR NEYMAR

PSG have no interest in initially loaning Neymar to Barcelona, according to Le Parisien.

It was reported the bid from LaLiga's champions would be for a temporary move, but PSG want an outright transfer so they can find a replacement for the forward, amid reported interest in Juventus playmaker Paulo Dybala.

Barcelona are willing to accept a purchase option if €160million can be paid in instalments, according to Sport.

Meanwhile, the cover of Marca says Neymar is entering "Zone Florentino", referencing Real Madrid president Perez as Barca's rivals maintain hope of signing the 27-year-old.

ROUND-UP

- There could be plenty of movement at Barcelona late in the window. Juventus are discussing a potential swap deal to land Ivan Rakitic and see Emre Can head to Camp Nou, according to Tuttosport, which says the Catalans also put Luis Suarez on the table.

- One midfielder not leaving Turin is Blaise Matuidi. RMC Sport reports the France international will stay at Juventus amid links to PSG and Bayern Munich, with Can seemingly more likely to depart the Serie A champions.

- Mariano Diaz's future is uncertain. AS claims Mariano is not in Real Madrid's plans for this season, but no club has come close to meeting a €20m valuation of the forward.

- Franck Ribery is set to become a Fiorentina player. The former Bayern Munich star has agreed to a deal with the Serie A club, according to Sport Bild and Gianluca Di Marzio, with the Frenchman set to sign on Thursday.

- Amid reported interest from Manchester City and Manchester United, Jadon Sancho is said to be re-signing with Borussia Dortmund. The 19-year-old England international has sealed a £190,000-per-week long-term deal with Dortmund, according to the Daily Mail.

- Michy Batshuayi is not ready to give up on his Chelsea career. The Belgium striker wants to stay and fight for a place in Frank Lampard's team, according to the Evening Standard.

Real Madrid lead the race to sign Paris Saint-Germain star Neymar, while Barcelona are optimistic.

Neymar, 27, is set to leave Ligue 1 champions PSG before the transfer window closes on September 2, with either Barca or Madrid his likely destination.

It remains to be seen just where the Brazil forward ends up, but Madrid have apparently moved ahead of their rivals in the race.

 

TOP STORY – REAL MADRID LEAD BARCELONA IN RACE FOR NEYMAR

Contacts intensified between the parties involved in getting Neymar from PSG to Real Madrid, according to AS.

However, the cover of Sport says Barcelona are "optimistic" about signing the star they sold to PSG for €222million two years ago.

They also report that PSG are making constant calls to the LaLiga champions as they try to find an agreement.

 

ROUND-UP

- Napoli appear to be growing tired of waiting for Mauro Icardi, who is unwanted at Inter. According to Corriere dello Sport, Napoli want an answer from the forward regarding a potential switch by Saturday.

- One more time? Real Madrid are set to make a final push to sign Paul Pogba from Manchester United, according to The Times, who say the Premier League club are expected to reject any offers for the France international.

- A player set for an exit from Old Trafford is Alexis Sanchez and more details are emerging about his move from Manchester United to Inter. Fabrizio Romano reports Inter are in talks with United to sign Sanchez on a season-long loan with an option to buy for €15m (£13.7m), with United to pay part of the Chilean's wages.

- Could Emre Can leave Juventus after just one season in Turin? Bayern Munich and PSG are interested in the former Liverpool star, according to Tuttosport, with the Serie A champions set to let a midfielder leave after the arrivals of Aaron Ramsey and Adrien Rabiot. PSG are also set to meet with Paulo Dybala's representatives on Tuesday, reports in Italy say.

- Amid fresh rumours PSG are chasing Gianluigi Donnarumma, the goalkeeper has reiterated his desire to stay at AC Milan, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport.

- Daniel Sturridge could be close to making a decision on his future. The Daily Express report the former Liverpool forward is in talks with Turkish side Trabzonspor, while Ligue 1 outfit Monaco could also make Sturridge an offer if Radamel Falcao departs.

Page 3 of 3
© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.