Amir Khan claims he was misled before proclaiming a November fight against Manny Pacquiao was agreed.

Pacquiao's camp last week dismissed suggestions the Filipino great had agreed to fight Khan in Saudi Arabia.

The fight Khan has long looked for seemed to be on when he said 40-year-old Pacquiao had agreed to a November 8 date, but the British fighter now says he was fed incorrect information.

"Before the last press conference I was told the contracts between myself and Manny Pacquiao had been signed," Khan told Sky Sports. "This is from a company I've worked with called Super Boxing League, who I'm a chairman of as well.

"My advisers told me the fight is signed, so I went on and announced the fight was signed and hopefully we're looking at it maybe later in the year. Obviously then Manny comes back and says the fight's not happening.

"It's just one of those things. I'd love to have that fight. If it's not there for me, then it's not there for me. I have a date, November 8, in Saudi Arabia - Riyadh - and I’ll be focusing on that."

Khan, who defeated Billy Dib in Jeddah earlier this month, now needs to focus on ensuring his advisers get ink on the contract for his next opponent.

"I'd love it to be Manny Pacquiao," added Khan, whose record stands at 34-5. "If it's not Manny Pacquiao, we move on to someone else."

Manny Pacquiao's camp have dismissed suggestions from Amir Khan that the Filipino great has agreed to a fight in Saudi Arabia in November.

Khan announced on Tuesday that "both parties have signed the fight off" for Riyadh on November 8, suggesting only an injury to Pacquiao in his clash with Keith Thurman could scupper the planned bout.

But with Pacquiao firmly focused on taking on Thurman for the WBA welterweight title in Las Vegas on Saturday, his team have spoken on his behalf to reject Khan’s claim.

Sean Gibbons, president of MP Promotions, told BoxingScene.com: "The Amir Khan fight is news to us."

Fred Sternburg, Pacquiao's publicist, also stated no deal has been completed, telling The National: "Manny has not signed a contract for that fight."

Multi-weight world champion Pacquiao, now 40, boasts a 61-7-2 record and has long been a target for Khan, who defeated Billy Dib in Jeddah last week.

Amir Khan says Manny Pacquiao has agreed to face him in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia on November 8, provided the Filipino great comes through his fight with Keith Thurman unscathed.

The 40-year-old Pacquiao (61-7-2) is set to face Thurman for the WBA Super welterweight title in Las Vegas on Saturday.

Ahead of that contest, Khan, who improved his record to 34-5 by easing past late stand-in Billy Dib in Jeddah last week, said a deal is in place with Pacquiao's team.

"Hopefully we can get that fight," the Briton told iFL TV. "Both parties have signed the fight off, but hopefully he comes out of there in one piece on the weekend against Keith Thurman, which is a hard fight for him.

"If Manny comes out of this fight safe and sound without any injuries, I think that'll be the next one."

Asked what will happen if Pacquiao loses to Thurman, Khan added: "I still think it's a big fight out there. Because Saudi wants to see Manny Pacquiao, Saudi wants to see me again.

"Let's see what happens. At the moment, I think the Saudis want the Pacquiao fight more than any other name."

Prior to his facile victory over Dib, Khan was previously in action in April, when he lost in controversial fashion to Terence Crawford, a low blow bringing the WBO welterweight title bout to a premature end.

Khan has long courted a fight with multi-weight world champion Pacquiao, who will face Thurman this weekend having revived his career with victories over Lucas Matthysse and Adrien Broner following a shock loss to Jeff Horn in 2017.

Amir Khan needed less than four rounds to defeat Billy Dib and claim the WBC international welterweight title in Saudi Arabia on Friday.

The 32-year-old Brit was beaten by Terence Crawford in April but returned to winning ways with a routine triumph against an undersized Dib.

Dib, 33, has won a world featherweight strap but stepped up in weight at late notice after Indian boxer Neeraj Goyat withdrew following a car crash.

An even contest was always unlikely given Dib accepted the fight in June but barely a punch was thrown in an uneventful first round.

Khan stepped up his attack in the second and put Dib on the deck, a sign of what was to come.

And it was in the fourth round that the fight finished, Dib's camp throwing in the towel after a flurry of Khan punches left the Australian on the ropes.

Khan will bank around £7million for his role in the utterly one-sided affair, according to reports.

He is hoping to take on Manny Pacquiao next, potentially in Saudi Arabia again.

Terence Crawford retained his welterweight world title and remained undefeated with a sixth-round TKO after Amir Khan could not continue following an accidental low blow.

The blockbuster bout in New York came to an anti-climactic end after a shot below the belt left Khan unable to carry on against the WBO holder on Saturday.

Khan (33-5) was hit early in the sixth round at Madison Square Garden, where the referee waved off the fight at the request of the Englishman.

While the crowd were left disappointed amid a chorus of boos, American star Crawford improved to 35-0 after the bout ended at the 0:47 mark.

"I could tell I was breaking him down," Crawford said inside the ring. "It was just a matter of time. I just took my time. I was disappointed the corner stopped the fight in that manner, but Virgil [Hunter] is a great coach, and he was looking out for his fighter. I know he didn't want to go out like that."

Crawford – rated one of the best pound-for-pound boxers in the world – was on the front foot following in the opening round, which saw the unbeaten boxer drop Khan in New York.

Khan landed a couple of jabs but Crawford suddenly caught the Brit with a counter right with a minute remaining – flooring his opponent.

Crawford almost sent former unified light-welterweight champion Khan to the canvas again before the bell rang and the 32-year-old dug deep from that point.

Khan was more defensive in the second as he struggled to find an opening, though he lunged with a lead left hook that Crawford took well.

Crawford – who switched to a southpaw stance – waited patiently for the killer blow and he made some inroads in the fourth, targeting the body as he stalked Khan.

The 31-year-old Crawford broke down Khan with more heavy hitting in the fifth and the fight came to a premature end a round later as the latter's corner informed the referee that their boxer could no longer continue.

 

 

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.