UltimateXI Profile: Dino Zoff

By April 21, 2020

Dino Zoff is arguably the greatest goalkeeper in Italy’s history and that says much given the country is the joint second-most successful country in the world with four World Cup titles.

Known as a perfectionist, Zoff was a veteran of four World Cup campaigns, playing in three and winning in 1982.

"All that I have, I have earned through hard work," said Zoff who has the enviable record of keeping a clean sheet through 1,142 minutes of international football. He would earn 111 caps for his country. Only Paolo Maldini has played more for Italy.

Italian hero, Paolo Rossi, gave Zoff much of the praise for Italy’s 1982 win, saying: "Dino Zoff was the player who stood for the team. He was a reference for all of us."

To vote for Dino Zoff to be part of SportsMax's Ultimate XI, visit SportsMax's Ultimate XI page and watch the SportsMax Zone as Brent Sancho, Warren Barret, and Juan G Arango take a look at your picks. The SportsMax Zone airs on SportsMax at 4:30pm Jamaica time/5:30pm Eastern Caribbean time with a repeat on SportsMax 2 at 6pm Jamaica time/7pm Eastern Caribbean time.

Here are some more facts on the legendary shot-stopper.

 

Playing Career

Name: Dino Zoff
Date of birth: 28 February 1942
Birthplace: Mariano del Friuli, Italy

International career
Italy: 1968 - 1983
111 caps
55 wins, 36 draws, 20 losses

Honours
1982 FIFA World Cup™ winner
1968 UEFA European Championship winner

Individual
1982 FIFA World Cup best goalkeeper
UEFA Golden Player Italy

FIFA World Cup appearances
17 caps, 16 goals conceded
9 wins; 5 draws; 3 losses

Mexico 1970
Not used

Germany 1974
Italy 3-1 Haiti
Italy 1-1 Argentina
Poland 2-1 Italy

Argentina 1978
Italy 2-1 France
Italy 3-1 Hungary
Italy 1-0 Argentina
Italy 0-0 West Germany
Italy 1-0 Austria
Netherlands 2-1 Italy
Brazil 2-1 Italy

Spain 1982
Italy 0-0 Poland
Italy 1-1 Peru
Italy 1-1 Cameroon
Italy 2-1 Argentina
Italy 3-2 Brazil
Italy 2-0 Poland
Italy 3-1 West Germany

Club career
1961-1963 Udinese
1963-1967 Mantova
1967-1972 Napoli
1972-1983 Juventus

Honours
UEFA Cup winner: 1977
Italian Championship winner: 1973, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1981, 1982
Italian Cup winner: 1979, 1983

Individual
FIFA 100 inductee

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Ruben Dias to join Man City, Barca reject €150m offer for Fati Rumour Has It: Ruben Dias to join Man City, Barca reject €150m offer for Fati

    Ruben Dias is on the verge of leaving Benfica.

    The Portugal international is wanted by Pep Guardiola's Manchester City.

    Could he help City dethrone Premier League champions Liverpool?

     

    TOP STORY – DIAS SET FOR CITY

    Benfica defender Ruben Dias will join Manchester City, according to journalist Fabrizio Romano.

    Pep Guardiola has been eyeing defensive reinforcements following Nathan Ake's arrival from Bournemouth, and now Dias is set to swap Benfica for City.

    As part of the deal, veteran centre-back Nicolas Otamendi will move in the opposite direction.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Marca says Barcelona rejected a €150million offer for teenage sensation Ansu Fati from an unnamed club. Manchester United have been linked previously.

    Sergino Dest will travel to Camp Nou to complete his move to Barca, reports RAC1. The Ajax full-back is also wanted by Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich.

    Milan and Roma are both interested in signing Norwich City right-back Max Aarons, says Sky Sports. The Englishman has previously been linked to Barca and Bayern.

    - According to Sportitalia, West Ham are in talks with Serie A holders Juventus for defender Daniele Rugani.

    - Lyon want €50million (£46m) for in-demand star Houssem Aouar amid interest from Arsenal, claims RMC Sport. Paris Saint-Germain, City and Chelsea have also been linked.

  • TTFA seeks to rescind withdrawal of case against FIFA - vows to take suspension to CAS TTFA seeks to rescind withdrawal of case against FIFA - vows to take suspension to CAS

    The embattled Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) William Wallace-led executive has sought permission to reverse the withdrawal of proceedings, in the case brought against FIFA, currently before the T&T High Court.

    Earlier this week, a TTFA membership meeting that was held saw its membership unofficially vote to cease the TTFA action against FIFA in the court.  Wallace and his executive reluctantly agreed, and action was taken to withdraw the suit before the court on Wednesday.  The body, however, missed the deadline to withdraw the lawsuit by two minutes and were as a result suspended by FIFA.

    Originally, the TFFA had been given until September 16 to withdraw the action, but FIFA had given a further extension until the 23rd

    In explaining its reasons for choosing to suspend the TTFA, FIFA on Thursday said “The suspension was prompted by the former leadership of the TTFA lodging a claim before (the TT High Court) in order to contest the decision of the FIFA Council to appoint a normalisation committee for the TTFA. This course of action was in direct breach of article 59 of the FIFA Statutes, which expressly prohibits recourse to ordinary courts unless specifically provided for in the FIFA regulations.”

    According to Keith Look Loy, a former member of Wallaces' TTFA executive, the reason for returning the case to the court is in order to challenge the FIFA suspension at the CAS.

     “We filed an injunction at the CAS against the suspension. But to ensure we had legal standing to do so, we had to have a legal matter before the local courts. Had the case been withdrawn from the court, there would be no legal standing in the local high court,” Look Loy told the Trinidad and Tobago Newsday.

    “There would be no legal standing because they have no case before the court, which means they have accepted FIFA’s imposition of the normalisation committee. We do not accept this and thus had to withdraw the withdrawal application to file such an injunction against FIFA.”

  • Lampard refuses to play blame game with Thiago Silva Lampard refuses to play blame game with Thiago Silva

    Frank Lampard was in no mood to play the blame game after an error from Thiago Silva on his Premier League debut and says the Brazil centre-back will become crucial for Chelsea.

    Silva was at fault for the second of West Brom's three first-half goals at The Hawthorns, as the Blues had to fight back from an error-strewn opening 45 minutes to draw 3-3 thanks to Mason Mount, Callum Hudson-Odoi and Tammy Abraham.

    It was the veteran defender's first action in the Premier League at the age of 36 and it was an unfortunate slip in an otherwise steady top-flight bow.

    Chelsea boss Lampard said Silva is experienced enough to own up to his mistakes without the need for him to pile in too.

    "Listen Thiago Silva is going to be fantastic for us, he's been incredible in his career," Lampard told a post-match news conference. 

    "I will not look at him, I can talk about the mistakes - they're clear and we have to be open and honest about that, but I'll not put any blame on him. We're a team that has to react around that and to be fair the team did in the second half. 

    "It's nothing on Thiago, I'm sure he'll stand up and say it was a mistake, other than that I thought he was faultless in the game.

    "That's his first Premier League game done and in the bank, we'll get more from him as he gets fitter and the team gets fitter." 

    Chelsea's equaliser had a hint of fortune, with Kai Havertz potentially handballing in the area in the build-up.

    West Brom boss Slaven Bilic, who also felt there a was a foul prior to Hudson-Odoi bringing it back to 3-2, had no doubts the gal should have been chalked off.

    "The third goal is very difficult to accept," Bilic said. "For me that is so clear that I don't even want to talk about it, it is obvious. 

    "It's not maybe, it's not possibly handball, it is handball that's end of story, full stop. How someone can say that's not a handball is beyond me."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.