Stroll confirms COVID-19 positive test, clear for Portugal comeback

By Sports Desk October 21, 2020

Lance Stroll has revealed he tested positive for COVID-19 after missing the Eifel Grand Prix, though he is now feeling "100 per cent".

The Racing Point driver felt unwell ahead of Saturday's practice session at the Nurburgring last time out, leading to him being replaced by Nico Hulkenberg for the remainder of the weekend.

Stroll had returned a negative coronavirus result in the pre-race screening, yet that was not the case after undertaking a test on the Sunday evening, by which time he had returned home.

Having isolated with what he described as "pretty mild" symptoms, the Canadian announced he is ready to return at the Portuguese Grand Prix this week after testing negative on Monday.

"I just want to let everyone know that I recently tested positive for COVID-19 after the Eifel GP weekend," Stroll wrote in a statement posted on Instagram. "I am feeling 100 per cent and have since tested negative."

Explaining how the situation unfolded during the Eifel Grand Prix, he added: "On Saturday morning I started to feel unwell and woke up with an upset stomach. I followed the FIA protocol and self-isolated in my motorhome and did not re-enter the paddock.

"I wasn't fit to race so I flew home early Sunday morning. As I was still feeling under the weather I took a COVID test on Sunday evening.

"The next day the results came back positive, so I stayed at home self-isolating for the next 10 days. Luckily, my symptoms were pretty mild.

"I was tested again on Monday this week and my results were negative. I feel in great shape and I can't wait to be back with the team and to race in Portugal."

Stroll has managed 57 points so far in the rescheduled 2020 season, including finishing third at the Italian Grand Prix in Monza.

Related items

  • Kyrgios labels Djokovic 'a tool' over reported demands for self-isolating Australian Open players Kyrgios labels Djokovic 'a tool' over reported demands for self-isolating Australian Open players

    Nick Kyrgios has labelled Novak Djokovic "a tool" after the world number one reportedly issued a list of demands for players under strict quarantine conditions ahead of the Australian Open.

    Defending women's singles champion Sofia Kenin is among 72 players who are consigned to their hotel rooms due to positive coronavirus tests on flights they took to head out for the first grand slam of the year.

    Players have posted social media clips of them training and in their rooms, with some complaining about the conditions they are having to contend with for 14 days.

    Bernard Tomic's girlfriend, Vanessa Sierra, expressed her grievances over the standard of food and having to wash her own hair and dishes during her period of quarantine with the world number 228 so far.

    Djokovic does not have to adhere to such strict rules in Adelaide, where he is due to play in an exhibition tournament before the Melbourne major, as he arrived on a virus-free flight.

    Yet the 17-time grand slam champion is said to have asked for less time in isolation for players, requested they are given private housing with access to training courts, and better food.

    Kyrgios tweeted on Monday: "Djokovic is a tool. I don't mind Bernie [Tomic] but his Mrs obviously has no perspective, ridiculous scenes Man."

    Three weeks before the Australian Open is due to get underway, Victorian premier Daniel Andrews said the players will not be getting any "special treatment."

    He said: "The virus doesn't treat you specially, so neither do we.

    "I know there's been a bit of chatter from a number of players about the rules.

    "The rules apply to them as they apply to everybody else and they were all briefed on that before they came and that was the condition on which they came. So, there's no special treatment here."

  • NBA postpones 76ers-Thunder clash due to COVID-19 contact tracing NBA postpones 76ers-Thunder clash due to COVID-19 contact tracing

    The Philadelphia 76ers-Oklahoma City Thunder matchup has been postponed due to ongoing coronavirus contact tracing, the NBA announced.

    Philadelphia (9-5) and Oklahoma City (6-6) were scheduled to meet at Chesapeake Energy Arena on Sunday, but the 76ers did not have the required eight players available because of contact tracing with the team.

    It comes after Memphis Grizzlies star Jonas Valanciunas entered the NBA's health and safety protocols ahead of Monday's game against the Phoenix Suns, having upstaged the 76ers on Saturday.

    The 76ers and their depth have been tested since Seth Curry contracted COVID-19 on January 7.

    Philadelphia were still forced to face the Denver Nuggets with eight players on January 9, though Mike Scott did not take to the floor due to injury.

    Doc Rivers and the 76ers – who are scheduled to play Eastern Conference rivals the Boston Celtics on Wednesday and Friday – used just nine players in the 106-104 defeat at the Grizzlies.

  • Alpine appoint ex-Suzuki boss Brivio as racing director Alpine appoint ex-Suzuki boss Brivio as racing director

    Alpine have appointed Davide Brivio, the former boss of MotoGP team Suzuki Ecstar, as their racing director.

    Renault announced the departure of team principal Cyril Abiteboul on Monday ahead of their rebrand to Alpine for the 2021 Formula One campaign, and now they have added new blood.

    Brivio was linked to F1 after quitting his post with Suzuki Ecstar, who won the team and rider championships in last year's MotoGP season.

    An Alpine statement read: "Davide Brivio joins Alpine F1 Team as racing director.

    "We are delighted to confirm Davide Brivio will strengthen our team ahead of the 2021 Formula One season. His specific role and responsibilities will be announced in the coming weeks.

    "Davide will report to the Alpine CEO Laurent Rossi.

    "Davide joins Alpine F1 Team with a wealth of experience and success following more than 20 years in the MotoGP world championship.

    "We look forward to welcoming Davide as we start the next stage of our Formula One journey."

    Alpine's driver line-up is made up of Frenchman Esteban Ocon and former two-time champion Fernando Alonso.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.