Day pleased to stay in contention at US PGA

By Sports Desk August 07, 2020

Jason Day was pleased with his second round as he stayed in contention at the US PGA Championship on Friday.

The Australian carded a one-under 69 at TPC Harding Park in San Francisco to be two shots behind leader Li Haotong.

Day, the 2015 champion, was happy with his performance in tougher conditions.

"The course played a little bit, obviously, a lot harder today for us in the afternoon. I know that the guys got a lot stronger wind yesterday," he said.

"So to be able to walk off beating the golf course and shooting 69 today, I was pretty pleased with that."

Day will head into the weekend in contention for a second major win and first victory since 2018.

The 32-year-old said he had tried to take a different approach after a difficult year, which has included four missed cuts in 11 events.

"I've been in such a terrible head space for the last six months that I'm trying to have a better outlook, a better attitude about it," Day said.

"When you wake up in the morning, you have a better attitude and you're excited to go to the golf course.

"It makes things like a day like today where it's difficult seem a lot better than coming out, if you had a terrible attitude or you're not feeling that great. You could potentially come out here and shoot yourself out of the lead or out of contention.

"I'm excited for the next two days. It's going to be a lot of fun. It's going to be tough. It should be a good weekend."

Related items

  • Scott out of Zozo Championship after positive COVID-19 test Scott out of Zozo Championship after positive COVID-19 test

    Former world number one Adam Scott will miss the Zozo Championship this week after testing positive for coronavirus.

    It was announced on the eve of the tournament at the Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, California, that Scott has returned a positive COVID-19 test.

    The 2013 Masters champion is self-isolating and will be replaced in the field for the PGA Tour event by Jim Herman.

    "While it’s difficult news to receive – as I really looked forward to playing this week – my focus now is on recovery for the final stretch of the fall," Scott said

    The Australian has won 14 PGA Tour titles, most recently at the Genesis Invitational in February.

  • Dustin Johnson withdraws from Zozo Championship Dustin Johnson withdraws from Zozo Championship

    Dustin Johnson has withdrawn from the Zozo Championship, delaying his return after testing positive for coronavirus.

    Johnson withdrew from last week's The CJ Cup at Shadow Creek after contracting COVID-19.

    The world number one was due to return at Sherwood Country Club in California this week, but the American will miss the PGA Tour event.

    "Unfortunately, Dustin just made the decision to withdraw from Zozo," his agent David Winkle told pgatour.com.

    "While he is feeling much better, he is still a bit low on energy and feels it would be best to wait and resume his schedule in Houston."

    Johnson, who has two wins this year, was last in action as he finished tied for sixth at the U.S. Open last month.

    A 23-time winner on the PGA Tour, Johnson is scheduled to return at the Houston Open, which begins on November 5 – a week before the Masters.

  • Coronavirus: Tiger Woods-hosted Hero World Challenge cancelled Coronavirus: Tiger Woods-hosted Hero World Challenge cancelled

    Tiger Woods' Hero World Challenge has been cancelled as a result of travel restrictions related to the coronavirus pandemic.

    The event in the Bahamas, hosted by 15-time major winner Woods, was set to take place in December but it was called off on Monday.

    It means there will be no opportunity for Henrik Stenson to defend his title in Albany, where a star-studded field of 18 players had been scheduled to compete.

    "Given the current global restrictions and ongoing developments resulting from COVID-19, the 2020 Hero World Challenge will not be played this year," read a statement from tournament organisers.

    "This decision was made with the health and wellbeing of all tournament constituents and the Albany community in mind.

    "We look forward to hosting 18 of the top players in the world and welcoming tournament guests to Albany, Bahamas next year."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.