MLB

Coronavirus: MLB announces 83 COVID-19 cases since intake testing

By Sports Desk July 10, 2020

MLB released its coronavirus test numbers from the first week of training camp, including 66 new cases from intake testing as players arrived at their home ballparks.  

Seventeen more new cases were discovered in monitoring testing, which screens players every other day and staff at least twice per week.  

Among the 83 positive tests since the league started its protocol are 71 players and 12 staff members from 28 different MLB clubs.  

The 66 cases from intake testing represent a 1.8 per cent positive rate, while the 17 positive tests from monitoring – which includes testing people multiple times – are just 0.2 per cent of tests administered since teams started workouts.  

Some in the league – including Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo and Chicago Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant – have been critical of MLB's inability to test as often as planned and deliver timely results.  

Some notable players who have made their positive cases public are Atlanta Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman, New York Yankees infielder DJ LeMahieu, Colorado Rockies outfielder Charlie Blackmon, Kansas City Royals catcher Salvador Perez and Texas Rangers slugger Joey Gallo.  

The announcement comes on the same day that San Francisco Giants star catcher Buster Posey said that he plans to sit out the 2020 campaign.  

Posey is perhaps the biggest name on a growing list of players opting out which includes Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher David Price, Rockies outfield Ian Desmond, Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Mike Leake and Atlanta Braves outfielder Nick Markakis.  

The coronavirus pandemic has already wreaked havoc on the 2020 MLB season, delaying its start by at least four months, shortening the season from 162 to 60 games and preventing fans from attending.

Related items

  • Tigers reliever Alexander sets MLB record, Dodgers' Kershaw dazzles in 2020 debut Tigers reliever Alexander sets MLB record, Dodgers' Kershaw dazzles in 2020 debut

    Detroit Tigers reliever Tyler Alexander made history in MLB, while Los Angeles Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw starred in his 2020 debut.

    The Tigers lost their doubleheader against the Cincinnati Reds on Sunday – 4-3 and 4-0 – but unheralded pitcher Alexander set a league record.

    Alexander struck out the first nine batters he faced in the opening game – tying the American League (AL) mark and setting an MLB record for most consecutive strikeouts by a reliver.

    "I normally don't try to strike people out," Alexander, who entered in the third inning, said. "But I would say after the fifth strikeout I was trying to strike people out."

    Kershaw impressed in his first appearance of the season as the Dodgers shut out the Arizona Diamondbacks 3-0.

    After sitting out last month's season opener, Kershaw returned to the mound and allowed three hits, while striking out six across 5.2 innings of work against the Diamondbacks.

    Three-time National League (NL) Cy Young Award winner Kershaw, who retired his first 10 batters, exited the game with the Dodgers leading 3-0.

    "It was fun, I missed it," the 2014 NL MVP said. "It was hard to miss opening day and I didn't know how long it would take for my back to get better.

    "It bounced back pretty quick, so I was just thankful to get out there today. Felt good, it was awesome."

     

    Judge homers for fifth straight game

    New York Yankees All-Star slugger Aaron Judge hit a home run for a career-high fifth consecutive game. Judge became the first Yankees player since Alex Rodriguez in 2007 to achieve the feat as his team swept the Boston Red Sox with a 9-7 triumph.

    The Atlanta Braves extended their winning streak to five games after blanking the Yoenis Cespedes-less New York Mets 4-0.

    A 9-6 victory over the San Diego Padres saw the Colorado Rockies improve to 6-2 for the season – matching the team's second-best start in franchise history. Colorado opened 7-1 in 1995.

     

    Ohtani leaves Angels sweating

    Shohei Ohtani produced another wild performance before being sent for an MRI by the Los Angeles Angels. Ohtani – back on the mound after undergoing Tommy John surgery in 2018 – felt discomfort in his pitching arm. Prior to that, the Angels star issued five walks and only five outs in a difficult outing as the Los Angeles franchise lost 6-5 to the Houston Astros after 11 innings.

     

    Pujols homers… again

    Angels star Albert Pujols homered in the third inning, a grand slam. He is now just two home runs shy of matching Willie Mays (660) for fifth all-time.

    Sunday's results

    Cincinnati Reds 4-3 Detroit Tigers
    Cincinnati Reds 4-0 Detroit Tigers
    Baltimore Orioles 5-1 Tampa Bay Rays
    Atlanta Braves 4-0 New York Mets
    Chicago White Sox 9-2 Kansas City Royals
    Minnesota Twins 3-1 Cleveland Indians
    Chicago Cubs 2-1 Pittsburgh Pirates
    Colorado Rockies 9-6 San Diego Padres
    Texas Rangers 9-5 San Francisco Giants
    Los Angeles Dodgers 3-0 Arizona Diamondbacks
    Oakland Athletics 3-2 Seattle Mariners
    Houston Astros 6-5 Los Angeles Angels
    New York Yankees 9-7 Boston Red Sox

     

    Phillies at Yankees

    The Philadelphia Phillies are set to make their first appearance since their opening series of the season following a coronavirus outbreak, travelling to the in-form Yankees on Monday.

  • Betts suffers finger injury in Dodgers' win Betts suffers finger injury in Dodgers' win

    Los Angeles Dodgers star Mookie Betts suffered a finger injury during Sunday's win over the Arizona Diamondbacks.

    Betts, the Dodgers' star recruit, left the 3-0 victory after hurting a finger on his left hand.

    The 27-year-old went two-for-three with an RBI as the Dodgers improved to 7-3.

    "Mookie Betts left today's game with a sore middle finger on his left hand," the Dodgers wrote on Twitter.

    An x-ray on Betts' finger came back negative and he is day-to-day, it was later revealed.

  • Cespedes opts out of MLB season due to coronavirus-related concerns Cespedes opts out of MLB season due to coronavirus-related concerns

    New York Mets outfielder Yoenis Cespedes has decided to play no further part in the 2020 MLB season due to coronavirus-related concerns. 

    The Mets revealed they had not been able to contact the outfielder after he did not turn up for a 4-0 loss to the Atlanta Braves on Sunday. 

    Cespedes was due to be at Truist Park despite not being named in the line-up. 

    Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said: "As of game time, Yoenis Cespedes has not reported to the ballpark today. 

    "He did not reach out to management with any explanation for his absence. Our attempts to contact him have been unsuccessful." 

    Van Wagenen later revealed the 34-year-old Cuban's agent had informed the Mets he will not play again in the current campaign, citing the COVID-19 pandemic for the decision. 

    It will bring Cespedes' time with the Mets to an end, as he is set to be an unrestricted free agent when the campaign is over. 

    "We support everybody and every player's right to make this type of decision. This is a challenging time for everyone," Van Wagenen said to the media. 

    "It was surprising, without question. At the same point, we have to go forward and not allow anything to keep us from going forward." 

    Two-time All Star Cespedes has been beset by injury problems but was on the Mets' Opening-Day roster following two years on the sidelines. 

    He hit the winning home run against the Braves in a dream return and has featured in eight of the Mets' first nine games.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.