MLB

Coronavirus: Red Sox pitcher Rodriguez tests positive for COVID-19

By Sports Desk July 07, 2020

Boston Red Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez tested positive for coronavirus, manager Ron Roenicke confirmed on Tuesday. 

Rodriguez has not been with the Red Sox at Fenway Park since camp opened due to his relatives being ill.

Roenicke said Rodriguez is not 100 percent but is feeling better amid the COVID-19 pandemic, which has halted the start of the MLB season since March.

Roenicke also said that he intended to have Rodriguez – who won a career-high 19 games last season with a 3.81 ERA – start on opening day against the Baltimore Orioles on July 24.

Number one starter Chris Sale will miss the 2020 season following Tommy John surgery.  

"Just unfortunate that we might not be able to do it," Roenicke said. "We'll have to wait and see."

Infield prospect Bobby Dalbec also tested positive for coronavirus, but he is asymptomatic. Rodriguez and Dalbec are the third and fourth members of the team who have tested positive for the virus. 

A shortened 60-game 2020 regular season is set to get underway on July 23.

Related items

  • Sturgeon issues yellow card as Celtic games called off following Bolingoli breach Sturgeon issues yellow card as Celtic games called off following Bolingoli breach

    Scotland's first minister Nicola Sturgeon warned the entire SPFL season was at risk after two Celtic fixtures were postponed following a breach of coronavirus restrictions. 

    Boli Bolingoli travelled to Spain without Celtic's knowledge and did not follow quarantine rules upon his return, going on to play in the 1-1 draw against Kilmarnock on Sunday. 

    Celtic condemned the Belgian's "stupidity", apologising to the league for his "irresponsible action" in a strongly worded statement. 

    Neil Lennon's team had been due to play St Mirren on Wednesday and Aberdeen on Saturday, but those games – along with Aberdeen's midweek clash with Hamilton Academical – will not now take place. 

    Before the SPFL confirmed the cancellations, Sturgeon said: "I don't want the season to be in jeopardy. But we have to be very clear this situation is not acceptable. 

    "You should not be expecting to see Aberdeen or Celtic play over the course of the coming week. Consider today the yellow card. The next time it will be the red card because you will leave us with absolutely no choice." 

    Bolingoli's blunder came after two Aberdeen players tested positive for coronavirus, with eight players from the Pittodrie club issuing an apology for breaking guidelines after visiting a bar following their opening-weekend defeat to Rangers.  

    Sturgeon has been left furious by the footballers' conduct and said in her daily briefing on Tuesday: "What I regret is that some football players seem incapable of living up to their responsibilities." 

    She added: "This is just not acceptable. Every day I'm asking members of the public to make huge sacrifices in how they live their lives and the vast majority of members of public are doing that and it's not easy. 

    "We can't have privileged football players deciding they're not going to bother. This can't go on." 

    Celtic did not hold back in their condemnation of Bolingoli, who has tested negative for COVID-19.  

    A club statement read: "It is difficult to imagine a more irresponsible action in current circumstances and we find it beyond explanation. The club will take immediate action through our own disciplinary procedures. 

    "All of our playing and backroom staff have been tested twice for COVID-19 since this incident and all, including the player in question, have tested negative. While this comes as a relief to all concerned, it in no way diminishes the seriousness or stupidity of the player's actions." 

    Bolingoli said: "I am guilty of a major error of judgement. I know what I did was wrong and I know that I must now deal with the consequences."

  • Celtic blast Bolingoli's 'stupidity' after quarantine breach Celtic blast Bolingoli's 'stupidity' after quarantine breach

    Celtic have blasted Boli Bolingoli's "stupidity" and apologised to the SPFL for his "irresponsible action" after the player breached quarantine restrictions. 

    Bolingoli travelled to Spain without the club's knowledge and did not follow quarantine rules when returning from the country. 

    He then featured in Celtic's 1-1 draw against Kilmarnock on Sunday, with his indiscretion coming after two Aberdeen players had tested positive for coronavirus. 

    Eight Aberdeen players issued an apology having broken guidelines by visiting a bar in the aftermath of their opening-weekend defeat to Rangers. 

    The Scottish government threatened to pause the Scottish Premiership season and Celtic did not hold back in their condemnation of Bolingoli, who the club said has tested negative for COVID-19. 

    "Celtic Football Club unreservedly condemns and apologises for the behaviour of the player Boli Bolingoli in travelling to Spain without informing the club and in failing to observe quarantine restrictions," a statement from the club read. 

    "It is difficult to imagine a more irresponsible action in current circumstances and we find it beyond explanation. The club will take immediate action through our own disciplinary procedures. 

    "Celtic are in touch with every SPFL club, and with all relevant authorities, to apologise for the fact that one of our employees has created so much additional difficulty through his actions. 

    "All of our playing and backroom staff have been tested twice for COVID-19 since this incident and all, including the player in question, have tested negative. While this comes as a relief to all concerned, it in no way diminishes the seriousness or stupidity of the player's actions. 

    "Since the COVID -19 crisis began, we have had a safe and healthy squad of players, recording not one positive test. As a club, we have worked tirelessly to ensure a sustained, safe environment for all.    

    "We have led the way in working with the football authorities and Scottish Government to establish the most rigorous, effective protocols and working practices, which ultimately led to the resumption of football. We could have done no more in this area. 

    "It is a matter of the deepest regret to us that the behaviour of one individual has jeopardised that reputation and reflected discredit on football more generally." 

    Bolingoli apologised for his error, saying: "I have made a huge mistake. I want to apologise to my manager, my team-mates, the supporters, everyone at Celtic and so many others for letting them down so badly. 

    "I am guilty of a major error of judgement. I know what I did was wrong and I know that I must now deal with the consequences." 

  • Nationals score 16 runs against Mets, Phillies hit five homers Nationals score 16 runs against Mets, Phillies hit five homers

    Juan Soto's epic home run headlined the Washington Nationals' barrage against the New York Mets as the MLB World Series champions won 16-4.

    Soto produced a two-run shot in the third inning in Washington's dominant display away to the Mets at Citi Field in New York on Monday.

    Asdrubal Cabrera led the Nationals with two doubles, two home runs and five RBIs against his former team in the Big Apple.

    Per STATS, Cabrera is the first player to go four-for-four with four extra base hits against a former team since the Dodgers' Johnny Cooney did so against the Boston Bees in 1937.

    The game also marked the first time in franchise history that three players all recorded at least three hits, three RBIs and a home after Trea Turner produced three hits, three RBIs and a home run.

    The Philadelphia Phillies put on a show with five home runs as they defeated the Atlanta Braves 13-8.

    A grand slam from Didi Gregorius and Bryce Harper's three-run shot set the tone for the red-hot Phillies in Philadelphia, while Roman Quinn, Jean Segura and J.T. Realmuto also homered.

    It came as Aaron Nola almost celebrated a complete game, allowing one run, two hits and 10 strikeouts through eight innings before two relievers gave up seven runs in the ninth.

     

    Jones with an inside-the-park homer

    JaCoby Jones inspired the Detroit Tigers to their fourth consecutive victory, a 5-1 win against the Chicago White Sox. Jones hit an inside-the-park home run in the seventh inning. Tiger team-mate Niko Goodrum homered and tallied four hits.

    The Minnesota Twins were 4-2 winners over the Milwaukee Brewers to snap a four-game skid. Eddie Rosario helped stop the rot, clubbing a grand slam in the third inning to erase an early 1-0 deficit in Milwaukee.

    Mike Trout's two home runs, including the go-ahead homer in the eighth, lifted the Los Angeles Angels to a 10-9 triumph and snapped the Oakland Athletics' nine-game winning streak.

     

    Gibson struggles against Mariners

    Kyle Gibson conceded a three-run shot in the fifth inning as the Texas Rangers were swept aside 10-2 by the Texas Rangers. Gibson allowed four runs and nine hits in 4.3 innings.

    Mookie Betts, Cody Bellinger and Justin Turner struggled in the Los Angeles Dodgers 2-1 loss to the San Diego Padres. The trio were one for four with a strikeout each, while the Dodgers were one for eight with runners in scoring positions.

     

    Soto with a monster homer

    Soto's home run off Mets starter Steven Matz travelled 463 feet – the longest homer of the Nationals star's career. Only Giancarlo Stanton (468 feet in 2017), Kyle Schwarber (467 in 2017 and Freddie Freeman (464 in 2015) have hit longer home runs at Citi Field since Statcast began tracking in 2015.

     

    Monday's results

    Washington Nationals 16-4 New York Mets
    Philadelphia Phillies 13-8 Atlanta Braves
    Detroit Tigers 5-1 Chicago White Sox
    Houston Astros 6-4 San Francisco Giants
    San Diego Padres 2-1 Los Angeles Dodgers
    Los Angeles Angels 10-9 Oakland Athletics
    Seattle Mariners 10-2 Texas Rangers
    Arizona Diamondbacks 12-8 Colorado Rockies
    Minnesota Twins 4-2 Milwaukee Brewers
    Tampa Bay Rays 8-7 Boston Red Sox

     

    Marlins at Blue Jays

    The Toronto Blue Jays (5-8) will stage their first game at temporary home Sahlen Field in Buffalo on Tuesday when they host the Miami Marlins (7-3). Bottom of the AL East, the Blue Jays will send Ryu Hyun-jin to the mound, while the Marlins will counter with Elieser Hernandez.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.