MLB

Coronavirus: Dodgers' Price opts out of MLB season due to COVID-19 concerns

By Sports Desk July 04, 2020

Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher David Price will not play this season because of concerns over the coronavirus pandemic. 

The start of the 2020 MLB campaign was scheduled to get underway in March before it was postponed due to the COVID-19 crisis.

Now, a 60-game regular season is set to begin on July 23 but Price – who was acquired from the Boston Red Sox along with 2018 American League MVP Mookie Betts in February for Alex Verdugo and prospects – will not be involved.

"After considerable thought and discussion with my family and the Dodgers, I have decided it is in the best interest of my health and my family's health for me not to play this season," Price announced via social media on Saturday.

"I will miss my team-mates and will be cheering for them throughout the season and on to a World Series victory. I'm sorry I won't be playing for you this year, but look forward to representing you next year.

"Stay safe, be well, and be kind. And go Dodgers!"

The announcement by the five-time All-Star comes a day after Los Angeles Angels star Mike Trout said he was not "comfortable" with the current situation and is still unsure whether he will play due to his pregnant wife.  

San Francisco Giants veteran catcher Buster Posey said he may choose not to play in 2020 on Saturday.

Colorado Rockies outfielder Ian Desmond, Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Mike Leake and Washington Nationals team-mates Joe Ross and Ryan Zimmerman have already said they will not play this season. 

Price was set to earn $32million this season, with the Red Sox paying $16m of that, before the coronavirus crisis.

The 2012 AL Cy Young award winner went 7-5 with a 4.28 ERA for Boston last season and helped the Red Sox defeat the Dodgers in the 2018 World Series. 

Related items

  • Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier tests positive for coronavirus Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier tests positive for coronavirus

    Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier has tested positive for coronavirus, the German club have announced.

    The 18-year-old, who joined Dortmund on a two-year loan deal from Real Madrid in August, underwent PCR tests for COVID-19 upon his return from international duty with Brazil Under-23s last week.

    Reinier was not part of Dortmund's squad for their Bundesliga win over Hertha Berlin at the weekend and no other BVB players have tested positive.

    Dortmund confirmed the news on Monday, a day before their Champions League match with Club Brugge, and added that the teenager is asymptomatic and is now self-isolating.

    He has been used seven times by Lucien Favre, each of those appearances coming from the bench.

    Reinier, who won the Campeonato Brasileiro and Copa Libertadores with Flamengo in 2019, has yet to score, assist or create a chance in his three Bundesliga outings and has managed just one shot.

    Tuesday's meeting with Brugge is the first of three home games in a row for Dortmund, with Koln and Lazio to come in the next nine days.

  • Tiley hopes 'summer of tennis' is finalised soon amid reports Aus Open may be pushed back Tiley hopes 'summer of tennis' is finalised soon amid reports Aus Open may be pushed back

    Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley hopes plans for the "summer of tennis" are finalised soon.

    Huge uncertainty continues to surround the expected first grand slam of 2021 amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    Reports have suggested all lead-up tournaments could be moved to Victoria, while players are apparently being denied entry to Australia until January.

    On Saturday, reports said the Australian Open could be moved from its usual January start to either March or April.

    In a statement on Sunday, Tiley said works were continuing – but he appeared to suggest plans were for the event to be held in summer, which runs from December through February in Australia.

    "Tennis Australia is doing everything we can to finalise the summer of tennis as soon as possible," he said.

    "Our intention is to deliver a summer in conditions that allow the players to prepare and perform at their best and the fans to enjoy their efforts – all in an environment that is safe for all concerned.

    "We are working closely with the Victorian Government on a plan that takes into account the needs of the players, fans, our partners and staff, and is of major benefit to the Victorian and Australian economy.

    "We are continuing our urgent talks with local health authorities regarding quarantining and bio-security requirements and are confident we will have decisions soon.

    "Tennis Australia is acutely aware of the need for certainty, but also conscious of reaching a solution with the State Government that ensures the safety of the entire community.

    "We look forward to announcing our ticket on-sale date as soon as all arrangements with the relevant authorities are finalising and we have more information on crowd sizes. We anticipate this on-sale date will be within the next two weeks.

    "We can't wait for the summer and look forward to bringing you more details as soon as we possibly can."

    The Australian Open has started in January in every year since 1987.

  • Raptors to start 2020-21 NBA season in Tampa Raptors to start 2020-21 NBA season in Tampa

    The Toronto Raptors will start the 2020-21 season in Tampa, Florida after being unable to secure permission to play in Canada. 

    Amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, the Canadian government requires any "non-essential" travellers to quarantine for two weeks when arriving in the country. 

    The Raptors, NBA champions in 2019, will now relocate to Tampa for the start of the new season, which begins on December 22. 

    In a statement, Raptors president Masai Ujiri said: "The Raptors worked diligently with public health officials at the local, provincial and federal level to secure a plan that would permit us to play our 2020-21 season on home soil and on our home court at Scotiabank Arena. 

    "These conversations were productive and we found strong support for the protocols we put forward.

    "Ultimately, the current public health situation facing Canadians, combined with the urgent need to determine where we will play, means that we will begin our 2020-21 season in Tampa, Florida. 

    "So, we'll be away from our home and our fans for now. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. I'm not sure that's possible for us. We love Toronto and Canada and we know we have the best fans in the NBA."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.