Coronavirus: Hafeez among six players to join Pakistan's England tour

By Sports Desk June 30, 2020

Mohammad Hafeez is among six Pakistan players given the all-clear to join the squad touring England after returning a second negative test for coronavirus.

Fakhar Zaman, Mohammad Hasnain, Mohammad Rizwan, Shadab Khan and Wahab Riaz are also set to join the team in Worcestershire, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) confirmed on Tuesday.

Pakistan are due to play three Tests and three T20Is in England, but preparations for those matches were plunged into doubt after 10 players tested positive for COVID-19.

However, a PCB statement said: "Fakhar Zaman, Mohammad Hasnain, Mohammad Hafeez, Mohammad Rizwan, Shadab Khan and Wahab Riaz have tested negative for Covid-19 for the second time in three days and, as such, are now eligible to join the Pakistan men's national cricket team in Worcestershire.

"The players were retested on Monday, 29 June, following a first negative test on 26 June.

"The PCB will now start making their travel arrangements and the departure details will be shared in due course."

Kashif Bhatti, Haris Rauf, Haider Ali and Imran Khan tested positive for a second time earlier this week.

The rest of Pakistan's travelling party arrived in Manchester on Sunday and underwent testing prior to a 14-day isolation period in Worcestershire.

 

 

 

Related items

  • Michael Holding’s look at institutional racism important to Caribbean views on class Michael Holding’s look at institutional racism important to Caribbean views on class

    Fast-bowling legend-turned-legendary commentator, Michael Holding, effortlessly threw case studies here and there while backing up his views on the issue of racism.

  • Coronavirus:  Former NL MVP Posey opts out of 2020 MLB season Coronavirus:  Former NL MVP Posey opts out of 2020 MLB season

    San Francisco Giants star catcher Buster Posey will not play in the upcoming MLB season, he announced on Friday.

    Posey, the 2012 National League MVP, is the latest high-profile player to opt out of a campaign that has been shortened by the coronavirus pandemic.

    The 33-year-old told reporters on a conference call he and his wife have adopted twin girls that were born prematurely and are still hospitalised, making him uncomfortable taking any additional health risks that could come about from travelling and playing games.

    The six-time All-Star had missed three recent team workouts for what the Giants said were personal reasons. 

    "I just feel like in the current state we are now, and these babies being as fragile as they are for the next four months at minimum, this ultimately was not a difficult decision for me," Posey said.  

    A team statement said: "The Giants fully supports Buster's decision. Buster is an integral part of our team and will be sorely missed, but we look forward to having him back in 2021." 

    Posey will forfeit around $8million of his prorated salary by choosing not to play. He is under contract in 2021 with the Giants holding a $22m club option for 2022. 

    He joins Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher David Price, Colorado Rockies outfielder Ian Desmond, outfielder Nick Markakis and pitcher Felix Hernandez of the Atlanta Braves, infielder Ryan Zimmerman and pitcher Joe Ross of the Washington Nationals, and Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Mike Leake as notable players who have chosen to opt out. 

    Posey is coming off the worst offensive season of his 11-year career, batting .257 with seven home runs and 38 RBIs in 114 games, but is the only catcher on the Giants' 40-man roster with extensive major league experience.

    San Francisco do have a top prospect at the position in Joey Bart, but the 23-year-old has never played above Double-A. 

  • West Indies tighten grip on first Test West Indies tighten grip on first Test

    West Indies racked up a 114-run first innings lead against England to take control of the first Test at the Rose Bowl on day three.

    Kraigg Brathwaite (65) and Shane Dowrich (61) led the way for the tourists, who benefitted from valuable contributions all the way down the order as they reached 318 all out on Friday.

    That was in stark contrast to England's efforts as they were skittled for 204, although openers Rory Burns and Dom Sibley dug in to negotiate a tricky evening stint and reach stumps at 15-0.

    Having made the most of bowling at England under leaden skies on Thursday, West Indies capitalised on the clouds parting to steadily compile a position of strength.

    Denied helpful overhead conditions, the home attack were confronted by a fairly benign surface – one that meant Jofra Archer being denied an lbw verdict against Shai Hope due to overstepping was an error they could ill afford.

    That moment in itself did not prove too costly as Hope was caught at slip by Ben Stokes for 16 after swiping at Dom Bess, the off-spinner who bowled tidily and also dismissed Jermaine Blackwood to claim 2-51.

    But Archer would end the innings wicketless, with stand-in skipper Stokes (4-49) and James Anderson (3-62) sharing seven scalps.

    Brathwaite could not turn his half-century into something more substantial, as he shuffled across to be trapped in front by Stokes, while Shamarh Brooks drove delightfully before edging Anderson behind to Jos Buttler for 39.

    Roston Chase took on the anchor role – in stark contrast to Blackwood's devil-may-care efforts – and was trapped on the crease by Anderson when three shy of a richly deserved fifty.

    Stokes removed opposite number Jason Holder cheaply and bowled Alzarri Joseph for a breezy 18, with Shannon Gabriel falling in similar fashion to Mark Wood.

    Dowrich, who punished the England pacemen whenever they erred in line or length, was the penultimate man to fall, edging Stokes through to Buttler.

    Gabriel, Holder and Kemar Roach found Burns and Sibley to be in resilient mood, although England will hope their hard yards have just begun.

     

    PERSISTENCE PAYS OFF FOR BRATHWAITE

    Brathwaite had not passed 50 in 21 Test innings heading into the series opener, meaning the prospect of skilled seam attack in English conditions with a Dukes ball might have filled him with dread. If it did, it certainly did not show, as he masterfully laid a platform. The 27-year-old slightly opening his stance, allowing him to access the on-side and confidently play the in-swinger, looks a shrewd adjustment.

    TOIL AND LITTLE REWARD FOR ENGLAND QUICKS

    Historically, this rivalry has been dominated by West Indies pacemen, so there was obvious excitement around England fielding two men capable of frequently hitting 90 miles per hour and beyond. However, Wood and Archer turned in combined figures of 1-135. The pair will surely fire in tandem at Test level soon – maybe even in the second innings here – but their struggles jarred as a brooding Stuart Broad watched on from the sidelines.

    MOMENT OF THE DAY – ANDERSON HANGS ON TO REMOVE CAVALIER BLACKWOOD

    West Indies day was a tale of patience and steady accumulation, very much classic Test cricket. The match situation encouraged Blackwood to try and take the action away from England, but his approach sat in hilarious contrast to his more measured team-mates. It felt like the 28-year-old played several expansive attacking shots for each of the 12 runs he ended up scoring, although Anderson's grab at mid-off to end a bizarre and entertaining interlude was as sharp as they come.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.