Bodybuilder Dexter Simon grows clientele in the face of COVID-19 pandemic

By May 25, 2020

Trinidad and Tobago Bodybuilder Dexter Simon has always defied the odds and managed to emerge victoriously.

In September 2017, just over two years after getting into bodybuilding, Simon won a gold medal in the Men’s Physique Masters Division at the Arnold Classic in Barcelona, Spain. Since then he has continued to compete at the highest level doing himself and his country proud.

His most recent triumph has come in the form of defying his most dangerous opponent yet, the COVID19 virus that has had the entire world on lockdown in the face of a global pandemic. In a time when most gyms have closed under social-distancing guidelines, Simon, who is also a fitness trainer, has managed to expand his clientele by a robust 35 per cent.

Simon, 51, who is driven by the mantra, ‘Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful’, said his commitment to discipline allows him to find victory where others might fail.

“I am driven by discipline and with a heavy component of discipline in any one’s life they will always be forward-thinking, they will always be thinking of the next step,” he said. “How could you improve, how could you realize gains, how could you re-invent yourself. Discipline creates a platform for everybody to keep ahead of the game.”

That is exactly what he has managed to do.

Since stay-at-home restrictions have been imposed on the citizens of the twin-island republic more than two months ago, Simon has used social media to host live, daily workout and dietary classes to hundreds of his regular and new gym members, the Newsday reported.

Using the website he launched in September 2018, Simon has been creative in his use of social media platforms to attract new clients desperate to find certified trainers to keep them fit.

“The downtime is going extremely well for me. It was a smooth transition for me already having that online platform/offering. By use of Instagram, it was a seamless switch over to online training. Persons simply visited the site, made their payments via bank transfers and I would monitor their workouts,” he told Newsday.

“The feedback has been excellent. I haven’t missed a beat since the lockdown. I had no downtime, no drop-offs and got more clients. It’s a transformation with regards to people’s body, nutrition, diet and training, especially while at home. All it took was technology and forward-thinking.”

However, he does not take on all the clients by himself. He has assembled a team, Team Unity, that includes his brother Derrick Simon, TT’s national triathlon coach, Kerrie-Kim Kirton, fitness trainers Luke Hernandez and Jenna Gomes, professional bodybuilder Brendon Francis and health coach Alexa Cheeks.

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • COVID-19 is still a thing, what’s the rush? Better safe than sorry COVID-19 is still a thing, what’s the rush? Better safe than sorry

    Apparently fans in the Caribbean are growing impatient. They are eager to see local football players do what they love.

    Well, President of the Caribbean Football Union, Randolph Harris, says fans will have to wait. I agree.

    Harris is concerned about the health risks involved in a return to live football in the Caribbean and doesn’t see it happening anytime soon.

    According to Harris, a lack of resources makes putting preventative measures in place difficult. I completely understand. But there are others who suggest football should return sooner than later.

    Somewhere along the way COVID-19 has become less of a concern and more of a joke. Especially in the world of sports though it means increasing the odds of let’s say, dying.

    I’ll give you an exampleIt was reported that a football tournament with over 800 patrons was held at the Hellshire Beach in St Catherine. Let that seep in (I’ll wait).

    It irks me that many people are casually getting on with life. Reducing the spread of Covid-19 is group work and everyone needs to play their part. If fans really loved and respected the players and others, they would be more understanding about decisions concerning safety.

    It’s better to be safe than sorry. We all have a role to play in reducing the spread of Covid-19. Preventative measures include (but aren’t limited to) social distancing, wearing a mask and washing our hands frequently. Let's not forget the disease has the potential to kill. We wouldn't want to lose any more loved ones or beloved athletes.

    Please share your thoughts on Twitter (@SportsMax_Carib) or in the comments section on Facebook (@SportsMax). Don’t forget to use #IAmNotAFan. Until next time!

  • Athlete testing in Jamaica to resume on Monday Athlete testing in Jamaica to resume on Monday

    The Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission (JADCo) is set to resume testing of athletes on Monday, June 15 after a month and a half of no activity because of the threat of COVID-19.

  • CPL stars set for 30 percent pay drop CPL stars set for 30 percent pay drop

    Top-rated cricketers taking part in this season’s Caribbean Premier League (CPL) are expected to suffer a 30 percent pay cut as a scaled-down version of the tournament is expected to be confirmed for Trinidad and Tobago in a week’s time.

    According to the latest information players earning between US$21,000 and US$112,000 will receive a salary 30 percent lower, when compared to last season.  Players in the US$20,000 bracket will receive a 10 percent pay cut with no salary cut for players below that bracket.

    The entire tournament is expected to take place in Trinidad and Tobago, with players staying in the tournament hotel under conditions overseen by a medical advisory committee and matches played in empty stadiums.

    CPL Operations manager Michael Hall claimed the devastation caused by the spread of the coronavirus had made the idea to stage the tournament a trick decision.  But felt it was important to send a message that the region is ready to do business again.

     "Should the tournament take place it will take place entirely in Trinidad & Tobago, which is the most successful country in the Caribbean in controlling the spread of the virus - recording just one new case since April 30 and just 117 total cases overall," Hall, the CPL wrote in an update sent to various stakeholders, quoted by ESPNcricinfo.

    "One of the consequences the Covid-19 pandemic will have is that the CPL will be played behind closed doors in 2020. We were therefore faced with the very difficult decision of whether to play the tournament at all,” he added.

    "[But] we also felt strongly that it is important for cricket to be seen to be getting underway again as well as to show the world that the Caribbean is open for business.”

    Hall added that the executive expected to get approval from the Trinidad and Tobago government next week.  The tournament will be held from August 1 to September 12, with the first matches on August 18 and the final on September 10.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.