Coronavirus: F1 stars will accept behind-closed-door races, says drivers' chief Wurz

By Sports Desk May 23, 2020

Formula One drivers will tolerate 'ghost races' in front of empty grandstands this season out of an "obligation" to the sport.

Grand Prix Drivers' Association chairman Alex Wurz delivered that message, albeit insisting nobody in the paddock would relish the prospect of racing going ahead without spectators.

It is out of necessity, during the coronavirus crisis, that Formula One is returning with races held at circuits that will be as biosecure as possible.

The delayed season is expected to start in Austria, with the first race on July 5.

Austrian Wurz, who drove for Benetton and Williams in his Formula One career, stressed the situation is far from ideal but will be embraced because it is all that can be achieved for now.

He told Sky Sports: "Let me say that I think no one in motor sport, no driver, and personally me definitely not, is a fan of ghost races. Because we live from the emotions which are shared together.

"A football match, or athletics, they have a stadium, we have a race track and 100,000 spectators who share this great event together, and that makes a big difference to how you feel.

"However, all the drivers I have spoken to, and I'm constantly in talks with them, no one has said 'No, I don’t want to do it', or 'I feel it’s the wrong thing to do'.

“It's actually the right thing to do because we have an obligation to our industry.

"Motorsport, Formula One, is a global industry, and like every government in the world, we are all trying to kickstart the industry, the economy, because people's families and mortgages depend on it. And it's the same in Formula One.

"So ghost races are a means to get us back on track earlier than if we wait for fan-attended races. Therefore we are looking for ghost races, and all the drivers accept that - fully."

Wurz said F1 has had a close eye on driver safety for many years, and protecting all involved from the COVID-19 threat is an extension of that.

And he vowed the sport would not visit nations where there is already a severe strain on medical systems.

Looking at the case of Austria, he said: "In terms of medical treatment, medical space, emergency units around the Red Bull Ring, there is no problem.

"Then we have to ensure that we are not passing the virus on between the industry and the hosting nation. And equally within our circuit we have to ensure that we have distance between each other and we minimise the risk of passing on."

Related items

  • French Open capacity reduced to 5,000 per day amid coronavirus spike French Open capacity reduced to 5,000 per day amid coronavirus spike

    Only 5,000 fans per day will be allowed in at the French Open amid a spike in coronavirus cases in the country.

    Main-draw matches are scheduled to begin at Roland Garros on September 27 after the grand slam was moved due to COVID-19.

    It was announced earlier this month that 11,500 spectators would be allowed in per day, although several players raised concerns after the US Open was held behind closed doors.

    France reported 10,593 new cases of coronavirus on Thursday before a reduced capacity for Roland Garros was announced.

    "The FFT [French Tennis Federation] will therefore assume the responsibility of organising the tournament with a new lay out," a statement read.

    "It is important for the sporting, social and economic life of the country that a major event like Roland Garros can be put on while respecting health imperatives.

    "Such will be the case for the 2020 tournament.

    "The FFT is conscious of how disappointing this news will be for those who will not be able to come to the stadium due to the reduction in capacity. We would like to thank you for your understanding and your dogged support of the tournament.

    "Roland Garros 2020 will set an example by endorsing, promoting and defending its cherished sporting values."

  • MotoGP 2020: Quartararo worries title rival Mir has 'perfect' bike MotoGP 2020: Quartararo worries title rival Mir has 'perfect' bike

    Fabio Quartararo fears a challenge from Joan Mir again at the Emilia Romagna and Rimini's Coast Grand Prix due to Suzuki's "perfect" bike.

    Yamaha rider Quartararo was the 2020 pace-setter in MotoGP after winning the first two races of the year in the absence of usual champion Marc Marquez.

    But the Frenchman has not tasted victory since and tumbled to second in the standings with his retirement last week, behind Andrea Dovizioso.

    Rather than the Ducati, though, it is Mir's Suzuki which is causing Quarataro concern.

    Spaniard Mir has two retirements this year but has otherwise finished fifth, second, fourth and last week third, reaching fourth in the standings - 10 points behind Quartararo.

    Quartararo said of Mir and Suzuki team-mate Alex Rins: "I'm worried because they are fast in the straight, they are fast in acceleration to overtake people, they are so fast.

    "So, yes, I'm worried because both riders are very fast.

    "Mir is in full confidence, so it's not easy for us because we are spread in this area and I think right now, overall, the bike is the perfect bike."

    Mir was merely amused by the claim, however, responding: "I didn't know Fabio rode my bike. It's really nice to hear someone that knows my bike better than me.

    "What can I say? Of course the bike of the other people is better than the one you are using, for sure.

    "At the moment, the one that is getting pole positions is him and the winner of the last race was one Yamaha."

  • Mbappe continues individual training ahead of PSG's Nice clash Mbappe continues individual training ahead of PSG's Nice clash

    Kylian Mbappe is training individually as Thomas Tuchel aims to welcome his talisman back into the fold at Paris Saint-Germain.

    France star Mbappe has been unable to play for PSG after he tested positive while on France duty earlier in September, with six other players from the squad having also contracted the virus previously.

    PSG lost their opening two games of the Ligue 1 season but beat Metz 1-0 on Wednesday thanks to Julian Draxler's late goal.

    Mbappe was the only one of the seven players who tested positive for COVID-19 to not have returned inside the first three fixtures of PSG's campaign, although Neymar is currently suspended after his red card against Marseille on Sunday.

    After Wednesday's success, Tuchel revealed Mbappe did not have any symptoms and had been training individually.

    On Thursday, PSG stated tests performed on the player on Wednesday had not returned any abnormal results, and that more information would be communicated in the coming days.

    Should Mbappe be allowed to return to the squad, he may be available for selection for PSG's clash with Nice on Sunday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.