Coronavirus: MLS to allow individual player workouts from May 6

By Sports Desk May 01, 2020

MLS players can begin individual workouts at team training fields from May 6 provided plans comply with comprehensive safety protocols set out by medical and infectious disease experts, the league has confirmed.

Only two rounds of matches were played in MLS before it was suspended on March 12 as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

It was hoped originally that action could resume by May 10 but last month MLS said it may have to play a shortened scheduled.

While it remains unclear when play will begin again, MLS released a statement on Friday confirming a step forward in a return to training, with all workouts on a voluntary basis.

The statement read: "Major League Soccer today announced that as of Wednesday, May 6, players may begin to use outdoor team training fields for individual workouts, in compliance with detailed health and safety protocols that were created in consultation with medical and infectious disease experts.  

"All individual workouts are voluntary and may not be in conflict with local public health official or government policies.

"By allowing players, on a voluntary basis, to utilise team-operated fields for individual workouts, MLS clubs will be able to provide a controlled environment that ensures adherence to safety protocols and social distancing measures for players and staff.

"The individual player workout protocol prohibits access to club facilities including but not limited to locker rooms, team gyms, and team training rooms. Team gyms and training rooms may still only be accessed by players receiving post-operative and rehabilitation treatment, as directed by the club's chief medical officer.

"The league-wide moratorium on small group and full team training remains in place through, and including, Friday, May 15."

The statement said every team must submit a club-specific plan detailing how they plan to adhere to health and safety protocols.

The criteria included the restriction of training facility access to essential staff only, plans for sanitisation and disinfection of equipment, a screening assessment for each player prior to arrival and temperature checks at the facility.

It added there should be staggered player and staff arrivals and departures with each designated parking spaces. Furthermore, personal protective equipment (PPE) should be used from parking lots to the field, while staff should use PPE through training and keep a distance of 10 feet from players.

Clubs can use outdoor training facilities, with each field divided into a maximum of four quadrants and only one player per quadrant can participate per session.

All teams must create an emergency action plan for all COVID-19 related issues, which is to be approved by the club's medical staff and local disease expert before being submitted to MLS.

Related items

  • Barcelona beat Bayern Munich to signing of Dest from Ajax Barcelona beat Bayern Munich to signing of Dest from Ajax

    Barcelona have completed the signing of right-back Sergino Dest from Ajax for an initial €21million.

    The 19-year-old United States international has signed a five-year contract with a €400m buyout clause, while the deal could eventually cost Barca €26m.

    Barca faced stiff competition for the Ajax academy product, with Bayern Munich said to be also keen on his signature, but his signing for the Blaugrana appeared a formality after he was spotted arriving in Catalonia on Tuesday.

    Dest broke into the Ajax senior side just last season, playing 35 times across all competitions as he established himself as an alternative to Noussair Mazraoui.

    An attack-minded full-back, Dest was originally a winger when he first joined Ajax, but he has thrived following a positional switch.

    Technically gifted, quick and a fine dribbler, Dest's performances saw him catch the eye of several major clubs in his breakout season, but it is the well-travelled path from Ajax to Barca that he has decided to tread.

    Barca had been on the lookout for a new right-back following the exit of Nelson Semedo, who failed to convince coaching staff and fans alike during his three years at Camp Nou.

    Netherlands-born Dest has already been capped three times by the United States' senior side, whom he is eligible for through his father.

    Barca have not confirmed if Dest will be in contention to make his debut on Thursday at Celta Vigo, or if he will have to wait for the visit of Sevilla three days later.

     

  • BREAKING NEWS: Barcelona beat Bayern Munich to signing of Dest from Ajax BREAKING NEWS: Barcelona beat Bayern Munich to signing of Dest from Ajax

    Barcelona have completed the signing of right-back Sergino Dest from Ajax for an initial €21million.

     

  • Neymar and Mbappe are 'extraordinary' but PSG have to be more clinical - Florenzi Neymar and Mbappe are 'extraordinary' but PSG have to be more clinical - Florenzi

    Neymar and Kylian Mbappe are "extraordinary" players but Paris Saint-Germain have to be more clinical in front of goal, according to new team-mate Alessandro Florenzi.

    PSG carved out a routine 2-0 victory over Reims in their most recent Ligue 1 outing through a couple of Mauro Icardi goals to make it three wins in a row without conceding.

    However, head coach Thomas Tuchel criticised his players after the match for failing to convert more of their chances at the Stade Auguste-Delaune.

    Florenzi played the full 90 minutes in Sunday's win over Reims and agrees with Tuchel's assessment that PSG have to be more efficient in the opposition box.

    "We had plenty of chances against Reims and it could have been 4-0 or 5-0 at half-time," he said at a news conference ahead of Friday's home clash with Angers.

    "We could have put the game to bed straight away and we certainly need to be more clinical up front. 

    "At the same time, we have to continue on the same path because if you get four or five chances in the first half an hour it means you are playing well."

    Tuchel started with Neymar, Mbappe, Icardi, Julian Draxler and Angel Di Maria in an attacking line-up against Reims but the latter is now serving a four-game suspension for spitting.

    Florenzi has talked up the attacking talents available to PSG and insists his side have enough quality to cope with the loss of Di Maria.

    "Neymar and Kylian are extraordinary players, two of the best in the world," he said. "We also have other great players like Di Maria and Marquinhos at the back. 

    "It is easy to play with Angel because of his quality and the way we link up but there other players who can also contribute to the team, like Draxler and Ander Herrera 

    "So we have many players. Their attributes might be difficult or different to Angel's, but they will be the right level to come in."

    Right-back Florenzi was signed from Roma on an initial season-long loan deal last month with the option to buy and has started three of PSG's five matches this season.

    That includes last month's Classique with Marseille in a fiery game that saw five players sent off after an injury-time brawl.

    Reflecting on his action-packed first outing for PSG, Florenzi said: "Given the way things went, it certainly wasn't a good example to set for French football.

    "But having said that, there have also been unpleasant situations in Spain and Italy as well. What we have to do is get people talking about what we do on the pitch.

    "We want to be an example to children and offer a different image of ourselves. That is what we will be looking to do going forward."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.