Coronavirus: ECB chief executive rules out scrapping Hundred

By Sports Desk April 24, 2020

England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) chief executive Tom Harrison says The Hundred will be "even more important" for the future of English cricket due to the financial impact of the coronavirus crisis.

It has been reported that the new competition could be scrapped less than three months before the inaugural tournament is due to start.

The ECB on Friday announced there will be no professional cricket in England or Wales until at least July 1 amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

International stars are due to fly in for from various parts of the world for The Hundred, which is scheduled to get under way on July 17.

While there is uncertainty over whether the competition will take place this year, Harrison says it must not be discarded.

"If anything this crisis and the implication long term or medium term, the case for The Hundred is even more important," he told the BBC.

"The Hundred is a profit centre for the game of cricket in this country, it will generate really important commercial value for the game, and help us achieve the second of our three priorities which is keeping the lights on through the network – making sure county cricket is really healthy and strong long into the future.

"And it will help broaden the audience for the game. There will be a huge clamour for audience coming out of this crisis, for all sport.

"I don't think this in any way dilutes the case for The Hundred, it absolutely accelerates it and makes it something cricket needs to get behind.

"We were starting from a position of strength – 180,000 tickets were sold – the quickest sale of cricket other than World Cup cricket that we've seen, so we've got to put the context of the last couple of years into a very different light.

"They are all decisions we will make but I am absolutely committed, as I think the game is, the first-class counties, they understand the importance of this competition to the future of the game and how it will help us achieve stability for everything the game has cared about for hundreds of years – that's super important to us."

Harrison also revealed there have been "multiple offers" from other countries, including Australia and New Zealand, to help finish the domestic season.

Related items

  • CWI board should have four ex-cricketers' - former WI captain Lloyd calls for inclusion of ex-players at top level CWI board should have four ex-cricketers' - former WI captain Lloyd calls for inclusion of ex-players at top level

    West Indies legend Clive Lloyd has pointed to a continued lack of inclusion of former players at the board level of regional cricket as being a significant hindrance to improving the fortunes of the struggling team.

    Though typically the realm of lifelong administrators and businessmen, the cricket boards of the sport’s big three, England, India, and Australia have included former players at the top level of the game’s governance.  Currently, India is the best example with former captain Sourav Ganguly serving as president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India, on a body that also included Brijesh Patel.  The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) recently added former captain Andrew Strauss as a non-voting member but also includes women’s player Lucy Pearson.  For Cricket Australia, Michael Kasprowicz resigned from the board earlier this year but two-time women’s World Cup winner Mel Jones remains a member of the board.

    “The board should have four ex-cricketers.  Knowledgeable, intelligent people who want to take our cricket forward,” Lloyd told the Mason and Guest radio program.

    “When I was at Lancashire on the committee, we had 16 or 17 people on the committee, but we had to have six cricketers, that was enshrined in the constitution because it’s a cricket club.  That’s why cricket is taken care of in England.  All the clubs have the same situation.”

    “We do not have a Test cricketer of note on our board.  If you look at all the other boards, Australia have had four captains on their board.  India have had some of their ex-players on their board.  England, who they have coaching the team, and the ECB have their ex-cricketers…cricketers are involved in the development of the game. (In the West Indies) If you decide to be a part of the board and you are somebody of some standing, they don’t seem to want you because they believe you will overshadow them.”

    The current Cricket West Indies (CWI) body does have Michael Findlay, who played Test cricket for the West Indies between 1969 to 1973 along with Julian Charles and Enoch Lewis who played cricket at the regional level.

     

     

     

     

  • Windies legend Lloyd wants better, more 'powerful' WI anthem Windies legend Lloyd wants better, more 'powerful' WI anthem

    Legendary West Indies captain Clive Lloyd believes the time is right for the regional team to consider a new and more ‘powerful’ anthem.

    Politically, with the West Indies operating as several separate countries, it would not be possible to have a national anthem.  Currently, the song ‘Rally Round the West Indies’ by Calypsonian David Rudder, however, serves that purpose.  The song was released in 1987 – before being officially adopted as the team’s ‘national’ anthem by the then West Indies Cricket Board 12 years later.

    Lloyd, however, believes the song possibly lacks the feel, power, and emotional depth of some of the national anthems of member nations that comprise the regional team.  The former skipper made note of a memorable experience, while on tour of Australia.

    “When I was manager, in Australia they play the anthem from both teams.  The president came to me and said Clyde we would like to play the anthem from your country because you are the manager. I said, ‘No sir you would have to play the anthem of Mr. Walsh, he is the captain,” Lloyd recalled recently, on the Mason and Guest radio program.

    “It was performed by an opera singer.  When they sang the Jamaica national anthem, it has some drums and so on, hair grew on parts of my body that I didn’t think I had hair.  It was so powerful.  There was a guy there that was married to a Jamaican woman and tears came to his eyes. I told Walsh, 'if you do not bowl this Australia side out, after listening to this anthem, something must be wrong with you guys'. It was the most powerful thing,” he added.

    “We have great anthems around the islands.  Let us come together and get one anthem that is powerful.  When you listen to all the other anthems, they make you feel proud, they make you feel like doing extraordinary things.  I think this is the time we should have that and one flag.”

     

  • Limited fans to attend NLCS and MLB World Series Limited fans to attend NLCS and MLB World Series

    MLB has announced a limited number of spectators will be able to attend the National League Championship Series (NLCS) and World series at Globe Life Field in Texas.

    The 2020 MLB season has been played behind closed doors without fans in the United States amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    However, 11,500 tickets will be available for each game, with 10,550 fans spread throughout the ballpark and 950 in suites, starting in Game 1 of the NLCS on October 12 – in conjunction with the Texas Rangers, who opened their new $1.2billion stadium this season.

    The 116th World Series will get underway at Globe Life Field on October 20 – the first neutral site for MLB's showpiece in modern baseball history.

    "I feel like a 10-year-old boy coming down the stars Christmas morning, and they've got all of the presents wrapped up, and I can't open a present," Rangers owner Ray Davis said.

    "That's the way I felt about our stadium this year. And that's why, frankly, I'm excited about having the [NL] Division Series and League Championship and World Series here in our stadium."

    "To see fans in our ballpark is going to be very exciting," said Rangers executive vice-president for business operations Rob Matwick.

    "This is what we have been pointing for since we started the construction back four years ago. To see it come to fruition is pretty significant. Not necessarily the circumstances we hoped to have – we hoped to have the Rangers on the field – but it will be exciting to see fans come into Globe Life Field in the fall of 2020."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.