Coronavirus: Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish tests positive

By Sports Desk April 10, 2020

Liverpool great Kenny Dalglish has tested positive for coronavirus, the Premier League club announced on Friday.

The Reds issued a statement provided by Dalglish's family, explaining the 69-year-old former Scotland international was in hospital regarding a different matter on Wednesday but was given a COVID-19 test.

"Sir Kenny was admitted to hospital on Wednesday, April 8, for treatment of an infection which required intravenous antibiotics," the statement read.

"In keeping with current procedures, he was subsequently tested for COVID-19 despite having previously displayed no symptoms of the illness. Unexpectedly, the test result was positive but he remains asymptomatic.

"Prior to his admission to hospital, Sir Kenny had chosen to voluntarily self-isolate for longer than the advised period together with his family. He would urge everyone to follow the relevant government and expert guidance in the days and weeks ahead.

"He would like to take this opportunity to thank the brilliant NHS staff, whose dedication, bravery and sacrifice should be the focus of the nation's attention at this extraordinary time.

"He would also ask that they are given the space to do their jobs during what is an extremely challenging time for them and that his own family's privacy is respected.

"He looks forward to being home soon. We will provide further updates as and when it is appropriate."

Dalglish is widely recognised as Liverpool's finest player. He joined the club from Celtic, where he had also enjoyed great success, in 1977, and went on to win six league titles as a player with the Reds, including one as player-manager in the 1985-86 double-winning season.

He also won three European Cups as a player with Liverpool, thriving under bosses Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan before taking the reins himself.

His first spell as manager ended in February 1991 and took in the Hillsborough disaster, when his leadership and his compassion towards the bereaved in the aftermath showed Dalglish at his best off the pitch.

Dalglish led Liverpool to their most recent English league title in the 1989-90 season, before managing Blackburn Rovers to Premier League glory in 1994-95.

He later took charge at Newcastle United, before a second spell as Liverpool manager followed, Dalglish in command at Anfield from January 2011 until May 2012.

Related items

  • Lampard tells Chelsea not to get caught up in Man Utd form and to embrace Champions League pressure Lampard tells Chelsea not to get caught up in Man Utd form and to embrace Champions League pressure

    Chelsea head coach Frank Lampard wants his players to embrace the pressure of trying to qualify for the Champions League in their Premier League battle with in-form Manchester United.

    Lampard's Chelsea moved back into the top four with a 3-0 win over Watford after United had briefly leapfrogged them following a 5-2 thrashing of Bournemouth earlier on Saturday.

    Chelsea are fourth in the table, two points clear of United with five matches remaining in the Premier League, as the top-four race goes down to the wire.

    And Lampard told his players to ignore United, who have gone 16 matches without defeat across all competitions, after bouncing back from Wednesday's shock 3-2 loss at West Ham.

    "I think every game is going to be pressure now," Lampard told reporters. "West Ham was pressure because we knew we could go third. It's a different kind of pressure but it's still the same in how you focus on the game and job at hand.

    "You cannot get too caught up in what everyone does at the moment. We did that tonight. There was no nonsense. The mentality was right. We started brightly and we carried on and got the small details of the game right at both ends of the pitch, which I was happy with."

    "It is not a comparison to get too caught up in," Lampard said. "They are a very good team; we know that. The individuals that they have, the squad, the coaches that they have. We can only respect that.

    "I watched their game early and with the individual quality when you look across their frontline you see two players on 20 goals and Mason Greenwood doing what he is doing scoring regularly.

    "[Bruno] Fernandes and [Paul] Pogba in midfield, the signing of Harry Maguire. They are a really strong outfit. We know that and the fact we are two points ahead we have to be happy about.

    "We know it is going to be contested right until the end of the season with the form that they are in. With respect to Manchester United and the teams around us, we have to focus on ourselves and try to keep picking up results. That will be the main importance to us."

    Olivier Giroud, Willian and Ross Barkley were on target for Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

    However, midfielder N'Golo Kante suffered a hamstring injury in the win after he was withdrawn with 12 minutes remaining in London.

    Lampard, who insisted Jorginho remains part of his plans despite finding himself out of the line-up, added: "N'Golo has got a small hamstring [injury] which we'll have to scan tomorrow [Sunday] and see how bad it is.

    "We hope it's small, that's what I've been told so far. After the scan we'll know but I'm guessing it'll be a problem for [Crystal] Palace on Tuesday."

    Lampard also heaped praise on goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga, who has been linked with a return to LaLiga, after the former Athletic Bilbao star produced an agile save to thwart Danny Welbeck.

    "I am pleased for him and the back four in front of him as well because I thought we defended pretty well when we needed to," Lampard said. "But the moment when we slipped and they got in; he made a really good save.

    "That's what you want from your goalkeeper, you want them to make those saves and stay alert. It will be good for his confidence along with the clean sheet as well."

  • Coronavirus: Dodgers' Price opts out of MLB season due to COVID-19 concerns Coronavirus: Dodgers' Price opts out of MLB season due to COVID-19 concerns

    Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher David Price will not play this season because of concerns over the coronavirus pandemic. 

    The start of the 2020 MLB campaign was scheduled to get underway in March before it was postponed due to the COVID-19 crisis.

    Now, a 60-game regular season is set to begin on July 23 but Price – who was acquired from the Boston Red Sox along with 2018 American League MVP Mookie Betts in February for Alex Verdugo and prospects – will not be involved.

    "After considerable thought and discussion with my family and the Dodgers, I have decided it is in the best interest of my health and my family's health for me not to play this season," Price announced via social media on Saturday.

    "I will miss my team-mates and will be cheering for them throughout the season and on to a World Series victory. I'm sorry I won't be playing for you this year, but look forward to representing you next year.

    "Stay safe, be well, and be kind. And go Dodgers!"

    The announcement by the five-time All-Star comes a day after Los Angeles Angels star Mike Trout said he was not "comfortable" with the current situation and is still unsure whether he will play due to his pregnant wife.  

    San Francisco Giants veteran catcher Buster Posey said he may choose not to play in 2020 on Saturday.

    Colorado Rockies outfielder Ian Desmond, Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Mike Leake and Washington Nationals team-mates Joe Ross and Ryan Zimmerman have already said they will not play this season. 

    Price was set to earn $32million this season, with the Red Sox paying $16m of that, before the coronavirus crisis.

    The 2012 AL Cy Young award winner went 7-5 with a 4.28 ERA for Boston last season and helped the Red Sox defeat the Dodgers in the 2018 World Series. 

  • Lazio have no intention of 'letting go' in Scudetto quest despite Milan loss – Inzaghi Lazio have no intention of 'letting go' in Scudetto quest despite Milan loss – Inzaghi

    Simone Inzaghi acknowledged Lazio's Serie A title chances have been dealt a blow after losing 3-0 to Milan but insisted the Scudetto hopefuls will not give up.

    Lazio were comprehensively beaten by visiting Milan in Rome on Saturday as Inzaghi's men fell seven points adrift of leaders and defending champions Juventus.

    Without leading goalscorer Ciro Immobile and Felipe Caicedo due to suspension, Lazio's Scudetto dream was derailed by Hakan Calhanoglu, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Ante Rebic at Stadio Olimpico – Milan leading 2-0 at half-time.

    Lazio – eyeing their first league crown since 2000 – face an uphill battle overhauling Juve with eight matches remaining in 2019-20, while Inter could move within a point of second spot by beating Bologna on Sunday.

    "This defeat weighs on us in the table, but we knew that there were some objective difficulties today," Lazio head coach Inzaghi told DAZN. "We weren't very fortunate either, as we conceded a goal with a deflection, another on a penalty that Thomas Strakosha almost saved.

    "Then we had two chances to get it back on track, only to concede the third goal. Unfortunately, I can't rotate the squad right now, so playing four games in under two weeks becomes difficult.

    "We've got to look forward and prepare for the next match. We know the journey we have taken and have no intention of letting go. We'll probably lose [Joaquin] Correa to injury for the next one, we must try to rotate a little, because these lads are now very tired."

    "Correa has been struggling with a calf problem for a few weeks," added Inzaghi. "If Caicedo and Immobile weren't suspended, he wouldn't have played today. Lucas Leiva had his first appearance today after just 25 minutes of training. We only made the decision after a fitness test this morning.

    "Bobby Adekanye hadn't played for 25 days either, [Sergej] Milinkovic-Savic and Correa told me they weren't feeling right. It was difficult against Milan in these circumstances. Even then I have to think we could’ve got back into it at 2-1.

    "Initially, Luis Alberto was meant to be in support of Correa, but we were lacking a physical presence and hadn't really used this tactic without Immobile. If we'd had Adekanye in training during the week, I probably would've started him, as he is at least a centre-forward."

    It was a return to form for Milan, who faced defeat before rallying to earn a 2-2 draw at relegation-threatened SPAL last time out.

    Milan – with Ibrahimovic back in the line-up – dominated against Lazio as they stayed on track to qualify for the Europa League next season.

    "We work really well at Milanello, I always said that I had a group of responsible players who are aware of the importance of the shirt they are wearing," said Milan boss Stefano Pioli, who is tipped to be replaced by Ralf Rangnick at the end of the campaign. "I don't know what will happen with our future, with my future, but we are too concentrated on fighting to the end so we can at least get Milan back into the Europa League.

    "We won't get the Champions League now, but Milan are a prestigious club and have to be in European competition.

    "The players are continuing to give 110 per cent, even those who signed contracts to the end of the season and probably won't remain here after that. They are determined to prove they are still strong players at this level and to give their best for Milan."

    Ibrahimovic, who has recovered from a calf injury, converted a first-half penalty to take his tally to five goals since returning to Milan from LA Galaxy in January.

    "Ibra has allowed us to grow in terms of mentality, quality, technique, it's a real pleasure to work with him and see how he deals with his team-mates," added Pioli, whose Milan host Juve on Tuesday. "Now we've got a month left and can continue pushing all the way."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.