Coronavirus: Le Clos consigned to the dishes as his dad cleans up in lockdown poker

By Sports Desk April 10, 2020

Chad le Clos should have been cleaning up at Olympic trials this week but instead he's been consigned to washing the dishes after being schooled by his dad at poker.

Le Clos had been expecting a double celebration this weekend after competing in the South African National Swimming Championships in Durban.

South Africa's most decorated Olympian turns 28 on Sunday and will still celebrate with the family, but the usual post-Olympics party will have to wait until next year after the Tokyo Games were postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Le Clos has been in lockdown for a fortnight following a sharp exit from his Turkish training base, where he had relocated after being forced to leave a camp in Italy amid the COVID-19 crisis.

The Durban native is optimistic he can strike gold in Japan if he plays his cards right, but revealed it is his charismatic father Bert - who became a poolside star at London 2012 after his son was crowned 200-metre butterfly champion - who has been holding all the aces during isolation.

Asked how he has been spending his time in quarantine, Le Clos told Stats Perform: "Me and my dad made a nice cooking video, and I've been hanging outdoors quite a lot. 

"We are playing a lot of poker, a crazy amount of poker. My dad is a really good player, me and my brother have been playing about five or six years. We've been playing every night to pass the time.

"We are playing for things like doing the dishes, breakfast in the morning, pancakes. I've been doing all the dishes, I've been so bad!"

Le Clos is philosophical about the Olympics being put back 12 months as he deals with the hand he has been given and revealed it is not only his schedule that will need to be altered as he sets his sights on being the ace in the pack in Tokyo.

He added: "It's crazy to think how things have changed, I should have been competing and I'm in lockdown.

"It's my birthday this weekend, so there would have been an extra celebration but it's all good.

"My family had all these Tokyo 2020 Le Clos supporter t-shirts made that they were going to come round to the party in, so we have to change that to 2021!"

Related items

  • England Women announce Wiegman as Neville's replacement England Women announce Wiegman as Neville's replacement

    Sarina Wiegman will succeed Phil Neville as England Women's head coach from September next year. 

    The Netherlands boss will replace the former Manchester United defender on a four-year deal.

    Neville's contract expires in July 2021, with the 43-year-old having been appointed in January 2018.

    Wiegman will remain in charge of her home nation for the delayed Tokyo Olympics in 2021, while it remains to be seen who will oversee the Great Britain team in Japan.

    "England is the cradle of football and I'm very much looking forward to contributing my experience and expertise to this ambitious team," said Wiegman, who guided Netherlands to the Euro 2017 title and last year's World Cup final.

    Football Association chief executive Mark Bullingham said: "Sarina was the outstanding candidate from a very strong field.

    "She is a proven winner and we are confident she can take England to the next level, giving us the best possible opportunity of achieving our ambition to win a major tournament."

    The 50-year-old's first opportunity to deliver on that will be at the postponed Women's Euros, now scheduled for July 2022.

  • Defending champion Andreescu opts out of US Open Defending champion Andreescu opts out of US Open

    Defending champion Bianca Andreescu became the latest high-profile player to opt out of the US Open on Thursday.

    Andreescu has not played on the WTA Tour since October due to knee trouble and the 20-year-old says a lack of match practice, partly due to the coronavirus pandemic, means she is not ready to return in New York.

    The Canadian's withdrawal comes after Rafael Nadal, the 2019 men's singles champion, pulled out due to the COVID-19 crisis.

    Andreescu posted on social media: "After many discussions with those closest to me, I have made the difficult decision not to return to New York this year.

    "I have taken this step in order to focus on my match fitness and ensure that I return ready to play at my highest level.

    "The US Open victory last year has been the high point of my career thus far and I will miss not being there.

    "However, I realise that the unforeseen challenges, including the COVID pandemic, have compromised my ability to prepare and compete to the degree necessary to play at my highest level.

    "I want to express my appreciation to the USTA and the WTA for all of their efforts in making the event happen. I look forward to joining my competitors back on court soon."

  • FA Cup replays scrapped for 2020-21 to ease fixture burden FA Cup replays scrapped for 2020-21 to ease fixture burden

    The Football Association has announced there will be no replays in the FA Cup next season.

    With the coronavirus pandemic having led to an adjusted schedule for 2020-21, the FA has taken the decision to scrap replays in order to ease the pressure on clubs.

    Qualification for England's major cup competition will begin on September 1, with the first round proper taking place in November.

    Premier League clubs will enter as usual in the third round, to be played in early January, with the final scheduled for May 15, 2021.

    The FA also announced that, after record prize funds for the last two seasons, the reward money has gone back to the level it was in 2017-18, due to the financial impact of COVID-19.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.