Coronavirus: Premier League will cancel rest of season, says Udinese's Marino

By Sports Desk April 07, 2020

The Premier League will follow Belgium's Pro League and cancel the rest of its season, according to Udinese sporting director Pierpaolo Marino.

With Liverpool 25 points clear atop the table, the Premier League was suspended last month due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Many leagues around the world have been brought to a standstill, with Belgium set to cancel the rest of their campaign and award the title to leaders Club Brugge.

Marino, whose club are owned by Giampaolo Pozzo – the father of Watford owner Gino, believes England will do likewise.

"The Belgian federation has sanctioned the end of the championship, despite the threat of UEFA sanctions," he told Sportitalia on Tuesday.

"England is about to issue the same measure because the situation is becoming very serious. I speak of the Premier League."

Marino added: "We have to get away from this danger, no matter the weather. I'm worried about the coming seasons, not the old one."

More than 81,800 people have died from coronavirus worldwide, while there have been more than 1.4 million cases.

In the United Kingdom, more than 6,100 people have died from coronavirus.

Related items

  • Tottenham 1-0 Everton: Lloris & Son in flare-up as Spurs claim unconvincing win Tottenham 1-0 Everton: Lloris & Son in flare-up as Spurs claim unconvincing win

    Tottenham bounced back from their defeat to Sheffield United in underwhelming fashion as a Michael Keane own goal earned a 1-0 Premier League win over Everton.

    Spurs' Champions League hopes were left hanging by a thread after they slipped to a limp 3-1 defeat at Bramall Lane last time out.

    Jose Mourinho's men were not much better in the more familiar confines of Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Monday, but Keane's moment of misfortune proved enough to see off a dismal Everton side.

    Captain Hugo Lloris was involved in a half-time flare-up with Son Heung-min and an unconvincing triumph that moves Tottenham within seven points of fifth-placed Manchester United will do little to improve the mood in the camp.

    Tottenham struggled to break down their visitors in the opening stages but a 21st-minute effort from Lucas Moura almost brought about the opener as his 25-yard effort skimmed the left-hand post.

    Just three minutes later Tottenham were ahead as Giovani Lo Celso's effort took a very fortuitous ricochet off Keane that left Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford helpless.

    Despite their half-time advantage, there were clear signs of discord in the Tottenham dressing room as an argument between Lloris and Son threatened to boil over as they left the pitch.

    The pair had to be separated by their team-mates and only the reflexes of Pickford prevented Son from putting further distance between Spurs and Everton after the restart, the England goalkeeper twice denying the South Korea star.

    Spurs had no problem protecting their lead but the prospect of them catching in-form United with five games to play looks an extremely unlikely one.

    What does it mean? Win doesn't paper over cracks for Tottenham

    Tottenham may be back to winning ways, but it was a victory claimed in uninspiring fashion and the frayed tempers Lloris and Son displayed at the interval suggest all may not be well for a team clinging on to faint hopes in the race for Champions League football.

    Son sparked into life

    The heated exchange with Lloris did appear to have a negative impact on Son, who was the only player to offer a genuine threat of scoring in the second half.

    Toffees toothless

    Spurs' may have been punished for their malaise on another day, but Everton offered next to nothing, producing two shots on target that were no test for Lloris.

    What's next?

    Spurs travel to Bournemouth on Thursday, when Everton host Southampton.

  • My family comes first – Ribery casts doubt over future in Italy after break-in My family comes first – Ribery casts doubt over future in Italy after break-in

    Franck Ribery has hinted he will evaluate his future in Italy after his home in Florence was broken into.

    Ribery made his 15th Serie A appearance for Fiorentina on Sunday, with the 37-year-old helping his side to a 2-1 victory.

    However, while Ribery was away on the trip, his Florence residence was broken into, with thieves reportedly stealing various items of jewellery, bags and leaving the property vandalised.

    The winger's family were in Munich at the time of the break-in, with Ribery recording a video showing the damage when he returned home, which he posted on social media.

    On his official Twitter account, Ribery also made it clear his family is his priority, suggesting he will make any decisions necessary to protect them.

    "This is what I discovered. So yes, my wife lost a few bags, some jewellery, but 'al Hamdoulillah' it's not essential. What shocks me is the feeling of being naked," Ribery wrote.

    "To have your pants taken down and that feeling, it doesn't pass. I can't accept it! Thank God my wife and my children were safe in Munich, but how can we trust [our surroundings] anymore today?

    "How can I [we] feel good here today after that? I don't run after the millions [of euros]. Thank God we lack for nothing. But, I always run after the ball, because it's my passion.

    "But passion or not, my family comes first. And we will take the necessary decisions."

  • Coronavirus: Premier League confirms zero positive results in latest testing round Coronavirus: Premier League confirms zero positive results in latest testing round

    The Premier League has confirmed there were zero positive coronavirus cases in its latest round of testing.

    A total of 1,973 players and club staff were tested between June 29 and July 5, the league announced on Monday.

    In the previous round of testing, there had only been one positive result.

    It means there have been 19 positive results from the 16,280 tests carried out since May 17.

    England's top-flight returned from a three-month suspension amid the pandemic on June 17.

    The Premier League season will finish on July 26, with the FA Cup final scheduled to take place on August 1.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.