Coronavirus: Zverev suspects he contracted COVID-19 prior to Australian Open

By Sports Desk April 05, 2020

Australian Open semi-finalist and German star Alexander Zverev suspects he contracted coronavirus in December.

COVID-19 has wreaked havoc across the world, with more than 69,300 deaths globally and sport brought to a standstill.

All ATP and WTA tournaments have been called off until mid-July, with Wimbledon cancelled, due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Zverev produced his best grand slam performance at the Australian Open, where he reached the semi-finals in January, and the 22-year-old believes he may have been infected prior to the year's opening major in Melbourne.

"My friend Brenda and I were in China on December 28," the world number seven told Bild.

"You can't imagine how I coughed for a month in Australia. I had a fever for two or three days and I coughed for five or six hours. Brenda too. We didn't know what it was. It was a cough that I never had. I had no pain, but I coughed continuously every 10 seconds.

"I had no pain, but I coughed continuously every ten seconds."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Seville derby to relaunch LaLiga season on June 11 Coronavirus: Seville derby to relaunch LaLiga season on June 11

    LaLiga will return with the derby between Sevilla and Real Betis on Thursday, June 11, it has been confirmed.

    Spain's Higher Council of Sport (CSD) said it had agreed the resumption plans with the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) and LaLiga.

    The CSD issued a statement that confirmed plans for the season to end on July 18-19.

    There are 11 rounds of games still to be played in LaLiga, with Barcelona two points clear of Real Madrid when the coronavirus pandemic forced football to be suspended in March.

    "The resumption of competition will take place during the weekend of June 13-14, with the first match on Thursday the 11th between Sevilla and Real Betis," the CSD statement said.

    "The last day will occur, provisionally and always depending on the evolution of the pandemic, on the weekend of July 18 and 19."

    The Segunda Division can also resume on June 13-14.

    LaLiga president Javier Tebas had been pushing for the June 11 derby date since Spanish prime minister Pedro Sanchez confirmed last Saturday that football could resume from June 8.

    Previous reports had suggested the first LaLiga match would be played on June 12, exactly three months after the suspension started; however, Tebas has got the outcome he wanted.

    All LaLiga games for the remainder of the 2019-20 season will be played behind closed doors.

    The CSD praised those who took part in the talks to structure the final weeks of the campaign amid the unprecedented circumstances, saying the same officials would meet on a monthly basis, or, where necessary, more often until the season is concluded.

    To fit in so many games in such a short period of time, the RFEF on Wednesday said it would allow matches to be played on Mondays and Fridays.

    The Seville derby is expected to kick off at 22:00 local time due to the intense heat in Andalusia's capital.

  • Coronavirus: Herrera questions 'drastic' decision to end Ligue 1 campaign early Coronavirus: Herrera questions 'drastic' decision to end Ligue 1 campaign early

    Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Ander Herrera believes Ligue 1 chiefs were "too drastic" in bringing an early end to the season.

    PSG were declared champions on April 30 after the remainder of the French top-flight campaign was called off due to the coronavirus pandemic, with most teams still having 10 games remaining.

    However, the Bundesliga resumed earlier this month and plans are in place for LaLiga, Serie A and the Premier League to get back under way in June.

    Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has been vocal in his opposition to voiding the season, with his side finishing seventh and missing out on a place in the Champions League.

    Herrera is also unsure why the Ligue de Football Professionnel (LFP) was so quick to cancel the rest of 2019-20 and admits to being "envious" of those still playing.

    "In my opinion, France cancelled the league prematurely because it is showing that they can come back," Herrera told Marca. "You see your team-mates working and you are envious.

    "Soccer without the fans loses a lot, but I also want to see the positive part because I am a soccer lover and we will be able to listen to the players, the coaches.

    "The measures that France was taking as a country were not being so drastic as to suspend the league. My friends and family were confined in Spain and we could continue to leave.

    "From my point of view, the decision was made prematurely, with the best intention but it is showing that the soccer of other countries is pulling forward."

    Herrera joined PSG from Manchester United on a five-year deal last July and made 18 appearances in all competitions in his first campaign for the French giants.

  • Coronavirus: Tebas wants 2020-21 to start on September 12 as LaLiga chief warns of €700m losses Coronavirus: Tebas wants 2020-21 to start on September 12 as LaLiga chief warns of €700m losses

    LaLiga president Javier Tebas wants the 2020-21 season to start on September 12 and has warned clubs face €700million collective losses due to the disruption this year.

    Spain's top flight was suspended in March due to the coronavirus pandemic but there are plans in place to resume the season on June 11 with the derby between Sevilla and Real Betis.

    Tebas says organisers have been working hard behind the scenes to make restarting the season practical, although many of the logistical problems will depend on how the country's regional governments are easing lockdown measures.

    Restrictions are gradually being lifted across Spanish territories, with several areas now having moved from Phase One to Phase Two, which allows people greater freedom to travel and exercise in small groups away from their homes.

    Madrid and parts of Catalonia, including Barcelona, are still in Phase One, however.

    "We'll start, God willing, on June 11," Tebas told Marca. "Let's hope Madrid and Barcelona go to Phase Two.

    "There are more than 130 people at LaLiga working so that everything can be done, in a new way: travelling, organisation, everything.

    "We're prepared and the important thing will be the day we finish the competition. The next will start on September 12."

    Clubs including Barcelona and Atletico Madrid have had to agree to wage reductions or deferrals due to the loss of income caused by matches being suspended and the prospect of the rest of the season being played behind closed doors.

    Tebas hopes to see struggling clubs given sufficient support given the significant losses they are due to make.

    "It's important that the disaster of the pandemic does not generate an economic disaster afterwards," he said.

    "This is a study to see who believes in the sports industry and who doesn't. It will be important to see who our allies are.

    "Returning does not mean we are not going to lose millions. Our clubs will lose at least 700million euros and that will have to be recovered.

    "In that push, it will be good to see who has believed in the industry from the start."

    Tebas says LaLiga is also testing methods of adding virtual crowd noise to empty grounds, to give television viewers the option of watching games with audible chants in the background.

    Similar sound effects have been used in recent Bundesliga and K League 1 matches, with viewers able to turn the noise on or off via an app.

    "Tonight, we will have tests so that, at an audiovisual level, the viewer can choose two images: the real one, and the one with the fans and virtual sound," said Tebas.

    "In the Bundesliga, they've chosen virtual sound with great success and we're working on providing that option. We want to give the fans the alternatives: silence, or virtual stands."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.