Coronavirus: Spain considers domestic tour that could star Nadal, report says

By Sports Desk April 04, 2020

Could Rafael Nadal return to tennis in an all-Spanish series of tournaments before the global ATP season swings back into action?

That was the possibility raised on Saturday by a report that indicates the Royal Spanish Tennis Federation (RFET) hopes to put on a domestic men's tour to enable the country's top players to build match fitness.

Spanish sports newspaper Marca said it had learnt, through RFET sporting vice-president Tomas Carbonell, that plans were in the works for between eight and 10 tournaments to take place at clubs and academies in Spain.

They would feature the country's leading players, open to those in the top 100, including world number two Nadal.

Nadal on Saturday released an Instagram video showing how he and sister Maria Isabel are passing the time during lockdown, playing patio tennis over a couple of garden chairs.

All ATP and WTA tournaments have been called off until mid-July, with Wimbledon cancelled, due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The French Open has been controversially postponed from May until late September, starting just a week after the US Open wraps up.

Nadal has triumphed a record 12 times at Roland Garros and would not want to go to Paris short of match practice, which may mean domestic competition could appeal to the 19-time grand slam winner.

Spain's next-highest ranked men's player is world number 12 Roberto Bautista Agut, followed by Pablo Carreno Busta (25) and Albert Ramos-Vinolas (41).

Marca reports the prospect of a Spanish tour would hinge on the mid-season hard-court swing, including the US Open, being cancelled.

Related items

  • Rafael Nadal confirms Madrid test between US Open and French Open dates Rafael Nadal confirms Madrid test between US Open and French Open dates

    Rafael Nadal has chosen to launch his clay-court season in Madrid during the week that follows the US Open.

    The world number two could face a hectic schedule if he elects to travel to New York to defend his grand slam title.

    That tournament will be behind closed doors at Flushing Meadows and it remains to be seen whether the Madrid Open, a Masters Series event, must also operate in the same circumstances.

    Madrid's showpiece event was postponed from May and is now scheduled to begin on Sunday, September 13, the day of the men's US Open final.

    Nadal may not need to play in Madrid until possibly the Wednesday, but it is possible he could be considering skipping the trip to the United States, focusing instead on the delayed clay-court swing.

    After Madrid comes the Internazionali d’Italia in Rome, with the French Open, which Nadal has won a record 12 times, then beginning on September 27.

    The 34-year-old Nadal has previously indicated he was unsure about travelling to New York, questioning whether that event should happen given the COVID-19 crisis.

    Playing closer to home is more straightforward for Spain's 19-time grand slam winner.

    Madrid tournament director Feliciano Lopez, who as a player won the Queen's Club singles and doubles titles last year, wrote on Twitter that Nadal had agreed to play his tournament.

    "I've spoken with my friend @RafaelNadal and he's confirmed he will take part in Madrid this September," Lopez said.

    He said Nadal would be welcomed "with open arms" at the event.

    Nadal responded by writing: "Same with you Feli. See you in September in Madrid."

  • Brandon Burke makes history: First Jamaican on WTA board Brandon Burke makes history: First Jamaican on WTA board

    The Women's Tennis Association (WTA), announced last week, that Brandon Burke has been elected to its board by a vote from the WTA Players’ Council and will be formally seated in September.

    The 27-year-old Burke, who is to be a Player Representative on the WTA Board, is the first Jamaican to fill a board position at this level.

    "I am humbled and grateful for this opportunity because it’s the kind of job if I had got at 50 or 60, it would still be a huge thing in my career, and to have got it at 27 is amazing,” Burke said.

    Burke, who will become the youngest member on the board, is set to join Iva Majoli, Michael Segal, and Vanessa Webb on the player board, engaging with players' council members and the players ranking groups they represent. They will be responsible for assuring that the board and WTA management are fully informed of their constituency's point of view.

    A six-time Jamaica Davis Cup national team member and an accomplished collegiate athlete, Burke is currently the Chief Operating Officer and legal consultant for Sports Travel Experts, developing successful sporting events throughout Canada and the Caribbean, such as the Canadian Pickleball Series and the Caribbean Cup Tennis Series.

    "We are excited to have Brandon join the board and we are confident that his expertise in event management, marketing strategy, and law will bring invaluable support to the WTA Tour and its players," said Steve Simon, WTA Chairman, and CEO. "I look forward to working with Brandon and the other board members to drive continued growth for the WTA."

    Burke will formally replace Dianne Hayes, who held the position as a WTA player board representative for over six years.

    The WTA Board of Directors is comprised of eight voting directors of which three are appointed by the players, three are appointed by the tournaments, one is appointed by the International Tennis Federation (ITF), and the WTA CEO, who also serves as chairman. Additional members of the board include three alternates representing the players, tournaments, and the ITF.

  • ATP revises ranking systems due to coronavirus ATP revises ranking systems due to coronavirus

    The ATP has confirmed its rankings system will be revised due to the impact of coronavirus.

    Tennis across the globe had to be halted due to the COVID-19 pandemic, with exhibition tournaments taking place sporadically in June, albeit under strict social distancing guidelines.

    The ATP Tour is now scheduled to restart in August with two tournaments ahead of the US Open.

    There are then three planned events in Europe before the French Open, which is set to be played in front of crowds.

    Ahead of the season's resumption, the ATP has now confirmed that the rankings will be revised to cover a period of 22 months, from March 2019 to December 2020, with the rankings having been frozen since March 16.

    This temporary change will be comprised of a player's "Best 18" results in the 22-month timeframe. 

    A player cannot count the same tournament twice, however, with the best of their two results counted.

    Tournament points added in 2020 will remain on a player's ranking for 52 weeks, or until the event is played again in 2021.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.