Coronavirus: French Open rescheduling rushed and selfish, says Pablo Cuevas

By Sports Desk April 03, 2020

The decision to push the French Open back to September amid the coronavirus pandemic was rushed and selfish, Pablo Cuevas has said.

Last month the French Tennis Federation announced the tournament will begin at Roland Garros on September 20, having originally been scheduled to take place from May 24.

The new date would see the competition start a week after the US Open in New York comes to an end. 

It was a move met with widespread criticism and Cuevas, the world number 60, is bemused by the change, considering the impact it will have on players.

"I think the Roland Garros decision was a bit rushed, perhaps without asking the ATP from what I know," the 2008 French Open men's doubles champion told Stats Perform. 

"Also, it seems they didn't take into account the rest of the tournaments, the rest of the calendar, it was something weird.

"Even more in this moment of solidarity, where we must have solidarity, it was something pretty selfish to go forward and set the dates without having any concern for the players and the rest of the calendar. All the players were a bit surprised."

While there is still a chance the French Open could be held this year, Wimbledon will not be on the 2020 calendar.

The All England Club this week cancelled the tournament, marking the first time since World War Two that the grass-court grand slam will not take place.

"About the cancellation of Wimbledon, I think it was something pretty obvious," Cuevas added.

"This [coronavirus] is being more serious that what it seemed at the beginning, it's taking a lot to control it, so I think it was a good decision made by the people at Wimbledon."

Cuevas expects it to be a long time before life on the ATP and WTA Tours - which are both suspended - can return to normal.

He said: "We don't know yet when we'll be able to compete again. It's one of the earliest sports to cancel everything and I think it will be one of the latest to get back because of all the nationalities involved.

"Every country must free every airport and flights, so they have to control the pandemic, so that will make us get back after other sports. I don't know when we'll be able to start."

Related items

  • Lewis Hamilton gets backing of superfan Serena Williams in F1 record bid Lewis Hamilton gets backing of superfan Serena Williams in F1 record bid

    Lewis Hamilton has the backing of tennis legend Serena Williams as he seeks to equal Michael Schumacher's long-standing record tally of Formula One race wins.

    The Briton, a six-time world champion, will start from pole at Sunday's Russian Grand Prix after he avoided a penalty for leaving the track during qualifying.

    If he can hold off the challenge of his rivals, the 35-year-old will equal Schumacher's total of 91 grand prix victories, and long-time fan Williams – who is chasing a landmark of her own at the French Open – is certain Hamilton will ultimately surpass the German.

    "He is for me the greatest driver that our generation has seen," said Williams on her 39th birthday as she prepared to challenge for a record-equalling 24th grand slam title.

    "I'm confident that he will break the record of Michael Schumacher, who was also a fabulous driver.

    "Lewis and I are super close. I've known him for years. I love that guy. He's a really good friend of mine. The guy is such a champion, has such a champion's mindset.

    "I look at what he does training, physically, his job, it's really no words for it, to be honest."

    Hamilton has campaigned for greater diversity in motorsport and has never been afraid to speak his mind, which is a quality Williams has come to admire in him.

    "Lewis is so intense," she said. "If you know anything, even if you're a fan, you know he lives his life on his sleeve. He's very emotional. He says what he says.

    "That's just who he is. He doesn't care who you are. That's one thing I've grown to really appreciate about him, as well."

    Hamilton has won six times already this season, including last time out at the Tuscan Grand Prix at Mugello.

    Williams, seeded sixth in Paris, opens her campaign at Rolland Garros against Kristie Ahn on Monday and, while history may beckon, she is happy just to be playing at such a ripe age.

    "I honestly never thought I would be playing at my age," she admitted.

    "I mean, I don't quite look 39. I don't know when it's going to stop for me. I just have fun. When I feel it's over, it's over.

    "But I could have guaranteed and pretty much bet my life that I would not have been playing at 39. This is why I don't bet."

  • Rublev relishing Hamburg run as Tsitsipas awaits in final Rublev relishing Hamburg run as Tsitsipas awaits in final

    Andrey Rublev described the Hamburg European Open as "the most special tournament" in his life just now after setting up a final showdown with Stefanos Tsitsipas.

    The 22-year-old Russian lost to Nikoloz Basilashvili in last year's final and will look to go one better after battling past Casper Ruud in the semi-finals on Saturday.

    Rublev, aiming for a third title of 2020 and fifth of his burgeoning career, outfought Ruud on the way to a 6-4 6-2 win at the clay-court event.

    "The match was really tough. I think everyone saw how tough it was, how [many] long rallies we had, how many chances both of us had," said Rublev.

    He added, quoted on the ATP website: "It could [have been] easily 6-4, 6-2 to Casper’s side, but I was a little bit lucky. In the most important moments and at the end, the match was for me. I am really happy with the way I played today."

    Rublev fell in the second round in Rome last week, following a run to the US Open quarter-finals, and his form has been inconsistent this year, yet sporadically brilliant.

    Titles came in Qatar and Adelaide at the start of the year, and now another beckons in Germany.

    The fifth seed said: "[It is] my first ever time that two years in a row I reached a final at the same tournament. For the moment, it is the most special tournament for me. We will see how it goes [on Sunday]."

    Tsitsipas, seeded second, halted Chilean Cristian Garin in a three-set thriller he described as "nerve-wracking".

    The Greek second seed will chase a second title of 2020 on Sunday, before joining Rublev in heading to the French Open.

    A 7-5 3-6 6-4 success against Garin sent the world number six through to a 12th career ATP final, battle-hardened for the clash with Rublev.

    The French Open also begins on Sunday, but Tsitsipas and Rublev are not due to begin their challenges in Paris on the opening day of the grand slam.

  • French Open 2020: Djokovic 'back to normal' in Paris after US Open shame French Open 2020: Djokovic 'back to normal' in Paris after US Open shame

    Novak Djokovic insists he is "back to normal" ahead of the French Open and determined to be the "best version" of himself in Paris after being thrown out of the US Open.

    Djokovic left Flushing Meadows in shame this month, having been disqualified for striking a linesperson with the ball during his last-16 match against Pablo Carreno Busta.

    The world number one was full of remorse but responded by winning the Internazionali d'Italia in Rome last week to take his tally of ATP Masters 1000 titles to a record 36.

    Djokovic, who will play Mikael Ymer in the first round in a Paris major that starts on Sunday, says the dramatic incident in New York is still on his mind but it will not affect him in the final grand slam of the year.

    "Obviously I am going to be extra careful of hitting a tennis ball around the court," said the 17-time major champion.

    "That's something that is obviously staying in my mind after what happened in New York. It's going to stay there for a long time.

    "Of course, I will make sure I don't make the same mistake twice. Whatever happened, happened. I had to accept it and move on. Of course, it was a shock for me and a lot of people.

    "But that's life, that's sport. These things can happen. But I don't think that this will have any significant negative impact on how I feel on the tennis court.

    "I mean, I won the tournament in Rome just a week later after what happened in New York.

    "I did not feel any kind of emotional disturbance or difficulty to actually be able to play or still express my emotions in whatever way. Of course, I try to keep my negative reactions on the court as less as possible.

    "But I guess it happens as well. I'm not going to be down on myself because of that. I also try to kind of accept it and forgive myself for what happened and move on. I'm human being. I have flaws as everybody else.

    "Regardless of the amount of years and experience that I have on the tour, these things can still happen. It's because I care. I really want to be my best version as a player, as a human being on the court, and win a tennis match.

    "Because of the care that I have for that, I sometimes express my emotions in good way or maybe less good way. But it is what it is.

    "As I said, I don't think significantly it does impact me that I'm unable now to show the fist pump or scream or something like that. It has happened in Rome already and everything is fine. I'm back to normal."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.