Coronavirus: Serie A clubs banned from team training until at least April 13

By Sports Desk April 01, 2020

Italian prime minister Giuseppe Conte has banned Serie A clubs from returning to team training until at least April 13.

The Serie A season was suspended indefinitely last month with Italy hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic.

Napoli and Lazio were among the clubs to backtrack on plans to return to training last month and with Italy extending their nationwide lockdown until April 13, Conte ruled out any team sessions taking place.

"Actual measures are extended until April 13. We know we are asking another effort, another sacrifice," he said on Wednesday.

"We have to understand one thing – if we stop following the rules or reduce these measures, we will waste our efforts."

Conte added: "The only news introduced is about athletes' training sessions … training sessions are not allowed in clubs' headquarters.

"It doesn't mean athletes cannot train themselves, they can do it individually."

More than 13,100 people have died from coronavirus in Italy, with the global death toll exceeding 46,000.

Related items

  • Barca's Vidal wants to play for Boca Juniors, claims Medel Barca's Vidal wants to play for Boca Juniors, claims Medel

    Barcelona midfielder Arturo Vidal "loves" Boca Juniors and is "dying" to play for the Argentine giants, according to Chile team-mate Gary Medel.

    Vidal continues to be linked with a Barca exit, the veteran Chilean star a reported target for Serie A side Inter.

    The 33-year-old has insisted he is happy at Camp Nou, where he arrived from Bayern Munich in 2018.

    Amid the ongoing speculation, former Boca midfielder Medel claims Vidal wants to move to La Bombonera in Buenos Aires.

    "Arturo would like to play in Boca with me or without me," Medel, who played for Boca between 2009 and 2011, told Radio Continental.

    "He loves Boca and follows them on social networks. He is the only one who follows Argentina and is dying to go. Boca have a magnitude in Europe that you cannot imagine."

    It comes as Inter sporting director Piero Ausilio distanced the Italian club from Vidal, who worked with Nerazzurri head coach Antonio Conte during the pair's time together at Juventus.

    "I don't feel like making any final considerations, let alone for Vidal. Right now he's not an opportunity for us. We already have a very strong central midfield," Ausilio told Sky Sport Italia.

    "[Christian] Eriksen arrived in January and, like anyone else who arrives in January, he needs time, not just to settle on a technical level.

    "I've never seen a player who comes to Serie A and immediately makes the difference.

    "Think of [Michel] Platini and [Zinedine] Zidane, they're the first two examples that spring to mind."

  • Rumour Has It: Dortmund unwilling to drop Sancho price, PSG make Milinkovic-Savic offer as Icardi agrees deal Rumour Has It: Dortmund unwilling to drop Sancho price, PSG make Milinkovic-Savic offer as Icardi agrees deal

    Jadon Sancho and a return to England continues to make headlines.

    The England international and former Manchester City youngster is reportedly keen to move back to his homeland.

    But Borussia Dortmund are not willing to make things easy for Sancho's suitors.

     

    TOP STORY – BVB NOT BUDGING ON SANCHO PRICE

    Borussia Dortmund are not prepared to offer discounts on Jadon Sancho amid strong interest from the Premier League, according to Goal.

    Dortmund star Sancho has been linked to Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool and the England international remains keen on a move to the Premier League.

    While Sancho reportedly has no intention of renewing his Dortmund contract – which expires in 2022 – the Bundesliga outfit are unwilling to accept anything less than £100million (€110m) amid the coronavirus pandemic.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Le10Sport claims Paris Saint-Germain have made a €60m offer for Lazio star Sergej Milinkovic-Savic. Lazio, however, are reportedly set to reject the bid.

    - Staying in the French capital and Sky Sport in Italy reports PSG and Inter have reached an agreement over the transfer of Mauro Icardi. The Argentina international forward has spent the 2019-20 season on loan at PSG. The Ligue 1 champions are reportedly set to pay €50m plus €7m in bonuses.

    Arsenal, Chelsea and United are interested in Juventus and Italy international Federico Bernardeschi, claims Gazzetta dello Sport.

    - Sky Sport Italia journalist Gianluca Di Marzio says United are eyeing Monaco forward Pietro Pellegri. The 19-year-old Italian has been plagued by injuries in France.

    Juve want to bring Chelsea forward Pedro to Turin, according to Calciomercato. The Spanish veteran, who is set to become a free agent, worked with Maurizio Sarri during the Italian coach's time at Stamford Bridge.

    - Sport reports Martin Odegaard's future at Real Madrid depends on head coach Zinedine Zidane. Odegaard has flourished during his two-year loan spell at Real Sociedad and whether the Norwegian returns to the Basque Country remains to be seen.

    Arthur remains committed to staying at Barcelona amid Juventus links, Mundo Deportivo says. Juve have been keen on bringing Arthur to the club, with Miralem Pjanic tipped to leave for Barca. However, Arthur is happy at Camp Nou and sees Spanish football more compatible with his style.

  • Coronavirus: Serie A to resume with games in hand, Coppa Italia final on June 17 Coronavirus: Serie A to resume with games in hand, Coppa Italia final on June 17

    Lega Serie A has decided the season will recommence with the four outstanding games in hand on the weekend of June 20-21, with the Coppa Italia final confirmed for June 17.

    Italy's top tier was on Thursday given the green light to return, as sports minister Vincenzo Spadafora announced the intention is to resume the fixtures from June 20.

    During his statement, Spadafora confirmed the Coppa Italia would take place the week before, though no specific dates were set for the last three matches – the two semi-finals and the showpiece.

    But a Lega Serie A statement released on Friday said there was a unanimous agreement that the remaining games in hand from matchday 25 will go ahead on the first weekend.

    It was also confirmed the Coppa Italia final shall be played on June 17, though dates for the semi-finals are still to be determined.

    The statement read: "The assembly of Lega Serie A met today [Friday] in the presence of all 20 associated clubs in a video conference.

    "The clubs welcomed the green light to the return of Serie A communicated yesterday by minister Spadafora and unanimously voted on the dispute of the four matches of the 25th matchday (Atalanta v Sassuolo, Hellas Verona v Cagliari, Inter v Sampdoria and Torino v Parma) on the weekend of June 20-21 and the planning of matchday 27 starting from Monday, June 22.

    "Furthermore, welcoming the wish of minister Spadafora, the sporting activity of the 2019-2020 season will resume immediately with the Coppa Italia, of which the final is scheduled for June 17.

    "Dates and times of the matches will be announced by Lega Serie A in the coming days."

    Juventus were a point clear of Lazio at the top of the table with 12 games remaining when the league season was suspended in March.

    They were due to face Milan in the second leg of the Coppa semi-final in Turin on March 4, with the first leg having finished 1-1.

    The other semi-final was also finely poised, with Napoli 1-0 up against Inter ahead of their second leg at the San Paolo.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.