Coronavirus: Hudson-Odoi feeling 'perfect' after COVID-19 recovery

By Sports Desk April 01, 2020

Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi is feeling perfect after recovering from the coronavirus.

Hudson-Odoi tested positive for the virus last month, one of the events alongside the diagnosis of Arsenal head coach Mikel Arteta that led to the Premier League going into shutdown.

However, the 19-year-old only experienced minor symptoms.

"I am feeling perfect," he told Chelsea's official website. "I had the virus, which has cleared now. I fully feel good, I feel fit, so I am feeling back to myself so it is all good.

"I had it [the illness] three weeks ago now I think, on a Monday when I felt a bit hot and I was thinking this is a bit unusual, why do I feel this hot.

"The next day I was feeling back to normal. I thought it was just a minor temperature thing, but obviously it wasn't. I said to myself this wasn't actually that bad, the symptoms, and I said to myself I feel good, I feel better.

"Everything is happening so fast and I did not know this virus would be such a major thing and so big in the world and affect so many people.

"Everyone has to be careful and judge things how they go and hopefully the virus will go soon and everyone will be back to normal."

As part of football's response to the coronavirus pandemic, Euro 2020 has been pushed back 12 months – something of a motivating factor for England international Hudson-Odoi, who has struggled for form and fitness at times this season.

"For me it is an opportunity to show again and keep pushing myself to the max to hopefully have an opportunity to go to the Euros," he added

"The Euros is a massive thing and I have big belief in myself and hopefully I will be able to get into the team.

"I just want to make sure that I keep pushing myself every game and every minute, making sure that I keep trying to score goals and make assists and keep trying to help the team as much as possible to get what we want, which is a trophy at the end of the day."

Related items

  • Man City have everything to win Champions League - Mahrez Man City have everything to win Champions League - Mahrez

    Riyad Mahrez believes Manchester City have everything required to win the Champions League.

    The coronavirus pandemic has wreaked havoc globally, halting many leagues and competitions since March, including the Champions League and Premier League, but Algerian winger Mahrez is relishing a return to action.

    City stunned Real Madrid 2-1 at the Santiago Bernabeu in the opening leg of their Champions League last-16 tie in February before the postponement.

    The Champions League could resume in August and City star Mahrez is confident Pep Guardiola's side can deliver a maiden European crown.

    "I think it is a good time to win the Champions League," Mahrez said. "We have the team, we have the manager, we have everything, so it is a good time. I don't know if we are the best, but we are good enough to win it.

    "The Champions League is difficult, everyone wants to win it, so it is going to be a big battle."

    The Premier League is set to return on June 17, with 92 matches still to be played following the coronavirus crisis.

    Defending champions City were second and 25 points adrift of runaway leaders Liverpool, though they had a game in hand.

    Mahrez said: "It was a bit long without football, but we adapted and now we are back, so it is good. With the pandemic going on [training at home and doing online sessions with the group] is something we had to respect and now we have come back to training it is very good.

    "Step by step we are getting fitter, so it is good. I am excited. It was good to see my team-mates and the coaches again. It was good to train with everyone and we have had very good weather as well!"

    He added: "I think we were good [before the break].

    "I wouldn't say we were at our peak, but it was good. We are going to train again and come back because it has stopped for everyone, not just us. It is going to take time to come back and be the way we were before, but it is the same for every team."

  • Rumour Has It: Dortmund unwilling to drop Sancho price, PSG make Milinkovic-Savic offer as Icardi agrees deal Rumour Has It: Dortmund unwilling to drop Sancho price, PSG make Milinkovic-Savic offer as Icardi agrees deal

    Jadon Sancho and a return to England continues to make headlines.

    The England international and former Manchester City youngster is reportedly keen to move back to his homeland.

    But Borussia Dortmund are not willing to make things easy for Sancho's suitors.

     

    TOP STORY – BVB NOT BUDGING ON SANCHO PRICE

    Borussia Dortmund are not prepared to offer discounts on Jadon Sancho amid strong interest from the Premier League, according to Goal.

    Dortmund star Sancho has been linked to Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool and the England international remains keen on a move to the Premier League.

    While Sancho reportedly has no intention of renewing his Dortmund contract – which expires in 2022 – the Bundesliga outfit are unwilling to accept anything less than £100million (€110m) amid the coronavirus pandemic.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Le10Sport claims Paris Saint-Germain have made a €60m offer for Lazio star Sergej Milinkovic-Savic. Lazio, however, are reportedly set to reject the bid.

    - Staying in the French capital and Sky Sport in Italy reports PSG and Inter have reached an agreement over the transfer of Mauro Icardi. The Argentina international forward has spent the 2019-20 season on loan at PSG. The Ligue 1 champions are reportedly set to pay €50m plus €7m in bonuses.

    Arsenal, Chelsea and United are interested in Juventus and Italy international Federico Bernardeschi, claims Gazzetta dello Sport.

    - Sky Sport Italia journalist Gianluca Di Marzio says United are eyeing Monaco forward Pietro Pellegri. The 19-year-old Italian has been plagued by injuries in France.

    Juve want to bring Chelsea forward Pedro to Turin, according to Calciomercato. The Spanish veteran, who is set to become a free agent, worked with Maurizio Sarri during the Italian coach's time at Stamford Bridge.

    - Sport reports Martin Odegaard's future at Real Madrid depends on head coach Zinedine Zidane. Odegaard has flourished during his two-year loan spell at Real Sociedad and whether the Norwegian returns to the Basque Country remains to be seen.

    Arthur remains committed to staying at Barcelona amid Juventus links, Mundo Deportivo says. Juve have been keen on bringing Arthur to the club, with Miralem Pjanic tipped to leave for Barca. However, Arthur is happy at Camp Nou and sees Spanish football more compatible with his style.

  • Coronavirus: Hughton welcomes Premier League return and pressures of 'mini-tournament' Coronavirus: Hughton welcomes Premier League return and pressures of 'mini-tournament'

    The return of the Premier League is "brilliant news" and the remainder of the season could be an intriguing "mini-tournament", former Brighton and Hove Albion boss Chris Hughton says.

    On Thursday, organisers confirmed matches can resume from June 17 provided the United Kingdom government gives the go-ahead.

    The English top flight was suspended in March due to the coronavirus pandemic, with the UK among the countries hardest hit by the virus, with more than 38,000 people to test positive for COVID-19 having died.

    Hughton, who has also managed Newcastle United and Norwich City, is happy the authorities have determined provisionally that it is safe to resume games, even if they must be behind closed doors.

    "It's brilliant news that it's back," Hughton told Stats Perform News. "I think probably a little bit earlier than what we thought, particularly coming into these last few weeks and with so much uncertainty around it."

    Hughton added: "I think the fact that they're happy with things that the government is saying and the progress they've made with the clubs and safeguarding and everything that goes with that one, that they're now at the stage where it's right to start.

    "It's been quite exciting over the last couple of days and probably for lots of people that haven't tuned in too much with sports channels - they're almost up and running again."

    The Premier League will resume with Manchester City against Arsenal and Aston Villa versus Sheffield United, with 92 games left to play in total.

    Hughton, who steered Brighton to their first Premier League promotion in 2017, expects the hectic schedule to make for interesting viewing.

    "What you have also got is, in a normal season, there will be a relegation battle, there will be a group of teams vying to get into the Champions League spots, so that is normal. That will be spread over a period of time," he said.

    "What we've got now is almost like a mini-tournament. It's a six-week period where you go and play. So, what that does, it condenses that pressure into a shorter period of time, because we have had that gap, because of the financial implications for everybody, particularly with this period that we are going through.

    "Of course, nobody at this moment is sure how next season will start. And of course, if next season is to start, I think that will be more difficult for the Championship teams than it is for the Premier League teams.

    "But if there is a start of next season behind closed doors, then there are also financial implications that that will cause. So, this six-week period, nine games, condenses that pressure into a shorter period of time. As I said, it is almost like a mini-tournament."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.