Khabib expects Ferguson fight to be scrapped again, Masvidal waits in the wings

By Sports Desk March 30, 2020
Khabib Nurmagomedov Khabib Nurmagomedov

Khabib Nurmagomedov is anticipating his proposed fight with Tony Ferguson at UFC 249 will be postponed for a fifth time as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

However, the unbeaten UFC lightweight champion claimed promoters are trying to schedule a fight for Ferguson "with or without him".

Nurmagomedov, who has a 28-0 record, had been due to face Ferguson in New York on April 18 but the event cannot be held at Barclays Center due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

Now back in his native Russia, Nurmagomedov revealed he had been told it was "99 per cent" that he would still face Ferguson in Abu Dhabi, but now believes the UFC are planning the card without one of their most high-profile fighters.

"Now I am hearing that they are looking to organise it with or without me. Okay, go ahead," Nurmagomedov said on an Instagram live chat.

"Everyone should follow the laws. I am not against it, I know that fighters need to feed their families and pay their bills. I know how hard it is for the fighter. Unless they fight they aren't getting any money.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

A post shared by Khabib Nurmagomedov (@khabib_nurmagomedov) on

“I am even hearing that they are looking for an opponent for Tony, because he is in the States and I am here in Russia. But I am here not on my own will."

He added: "The UFC told me that this fight 100 per cent isn't happening in the USA, and even if it's not happening in the Emirates it will happen on this side of Atlantic. We discussed everything with the UFC. 

"Now I don't really know what's going on. It's really hard to train and cut your weight when the whole world is locked down and you don't know what you are preparing for. But it's not the first time I face obstacles in my career."

On the previous four occasions Nurmagomedov and Ferguson had been due to meet in the octagon, health or fitness issues forced cancellations.

Ferguson accused Nurmagomedov of using the coronavirus pandemic as an excuse to avoid him, writing on Twitter: "April 18 Is Getting Close @TeamKhabib & You're Hiding In Russia.

"Travel Bans Will Not Prevent Me From Whoopin' That Ass. Don't Use It As An Excuse To Back Out. You Have Been Sent Many Locations, Send Us 1."

According to a report from ESPN, Ferguson has been offered an alternative fight with Justin Gaethje as an alternative option.

Welterweight Jorge Masvidal, who is one of the leading contenders in the weight class above Ferguson, also appeared to make his availability known by tweeting "April 18 I'm free #theresurrection".

Related items

  • Whyte-Ngannou crossover fight could happen in 2020 – Hearn Whyte-Ngannou crossover fight could happen in 2020 – Hearn

    A fight between boxer Dillian Whte and UFC star Francis Ngannou could happen in 2020, according to promoter Eddie Hearn.

    Hearn intends to hold talks with UFC president Dana White about organising a fight he claims to have received huge demand for.

    Whyte, the WBC interim heavyweight champion, made his first and only mixed martial arts appearance in 2008 and scored a knockout in just 12 seconds, while Ngannou has stopped each of his past four UFC opponents in the first round – three of the past four inside 45 seconds.

    After Ngannou suggested he wanted to test himself against one of boxing's top heavyweights, Whyte said: "Don't talk about it, let's just do it."

    Having initially been sceptical about the idea, Hearn revealed the bout is on the cards for this year.

    "I never really thought we would take this too seriously, but in the last week we have to take this seriously," Hearn told Sky Sports.

    "The aim for Dillian Whyte is to become a world boxing champion, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Dillian Whyte against Ngannou towards the end of this year.

    "Obviously we know [Alexander] Povetkin is next, but whether it's October, November, December.

    "I'm going to be reaching out to Dana White and saying: 'Tell me how this works? Can we actually do this? Are we doing it in a ring? Are we doing it in a cage? Are we doing one round of each?'.

    "It's really got a lot of momentum and a lot of promise. I think there's a really good chance it could happen."

    Hearn said Whyte and Ngannou would display "brutality at its absolute rawest" and provide a greater spectacle than the previous crossover fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Conor McGregor in 2017.

    "There's not just interest online, there is huge interest everywhere for that fight," said Hearn.

    "When I first started discussing it, it was just something that had been mentioned. Fans of both disciplines have always said: 'Whyte against Ngannou is a cracker'.

    "I've started to receive a lot of interest from numerous people about staging that fight now. I think it does colossal numbers.

    "It's the first real, genuine crossover fight. I know we had Floyd and we had Conor, but this is a different kind of fight. This is a different kind of experience. This is brutality at its absolute rawest.

    "This fight does huge numbers. It's got the boxing fans, it's got the MMA fans, it's got the intrigue. It's got everything."

  • 'Triple C is out' - retired Cejudo officially vacates UFC bantamweight title 'Triple C is out' - retired Cejudo officially vacates UFC bantamweight title

    Henry Cejudo expressed his gratitude to "Uncle" Dana White and confirmed "Triple C is out" after officially vacating his UFC bantamweight title.

    Cejudo announced his shock retirement after retaining his title with a defeat of Dominick Cruz at UFC 249 on May 9.

    Ali Abdelaziz, Cejudo's manager, later stated that he did not believe the 33-year-old had really quit.

    Yet Cejudo is no longer listed as the bantamweight champion and on Monday reiterated he is walking away from the sport, giving special thanks to UFC boss White.

    He tweeted: "Thank you for the awesome experiences uncle @danawhite

    "I will forever be grateful. Thank you for taking a chance on the sport that people thought would never make it.

    "To all my coaches and fans it been a wonderful ride. Triple C is out "

  • Mike Tyson could launch comeback against Tito Ortiz, MMA star claims Mike Tyson could launch comeback against Tito Ortiz, MMA star claims

    Mike Tyson's first opponent in the heavyweight boxing superstar's attempted comeback could be a UFC Hall of Famer.

    Tito Ortiz claims he has been approached to fight the 53-year-old former undisputed world champion and says a clash with Tyson could break pay-per-view records.

    Mixed martial arts veteran Ortiz, 45, said he was unexpectedly asked about the prospect of taking on 'Iron Mike'.

    He told TMZ: "I was watching Mike Tyson hit pads with one of my old trainers and Tyson was like the old Tyson, fast and speed and powerful and I was like, 'Wow, Tyson's going to make a comeback?'.

    "And all of a sudden, two days later, I get a phone call, and someone starts asking me, 'What do you think about fighting Mike Tyson?'.

    "I was like, 'Really? This is the opportunity of my life, I'm in.'"

    Ortiz appeared to suggest any fight with Tyson would take place in Las Vegas, citing the need to be passed ring-worthy by the Nevada Athletic Commission.

    "I'm not sure if it's going to be boxing or MMA yet, I haven't got that far – I think both of us have got to be cleared by the athletic commission, this Vegas thing," Ortiz said.

    "But I've been boxing for 20 years, man, and my boxing skills have got better and better.

    "They might not be the same level of Tyson, but has Tyson been punched in the face in the last 15 years? No, he hasn't, and I have, and I've been able to subdue everyone I've competed against over the last four years."

    Ortiz, sporting a T-shirt bearing the slogan 'Donald Trump Real American Hero', said he had "nothing but respect" for Tyson, who last fought in 2005.

    He sees their fight, should it happen, breaking television box office records.

    He cited the fight between boxing great Floyd Mayweather and UFC star Conor McGregor in 2017, which was bought by 4.3million people in the United States.

    "You know what Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather did, I think we could double that," Ortiz said. "I just think it would be amazing, I think it would be fun. It would be a great opportunity for both of our brands."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.