Coronavirus: UEFA president Ceferin concedes 2019-20 season could be lost

By Sports Desk March 28, 2020

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin has acknowledged the 2019-20 season across Europe would likely be lost if football is unable to restart by the end of June.

The 2019-20 season has been suspended indefinitely across most of Europe due to the coronavirus pandemic, with Euro 2020 also pushed back to 2021.

While leagues are hoping to restart between the end of April and the beginning of June, there is as yet no definite return date and Ceferin has conceded it may be impossible to finish the season at all.

In that case, UEFA's president has suggested the campaign would have to be considered as null and void.

"If we don't succeed in restarting, the season will probably be lost," Ceferin told Italian publication La Repubblica.

"There is a plan A, B and C. The three options are to start again in mid-May, in June or at the end of June.

"There is also the possibility of starting again at the beginning of the next [season], starting the following one later. We will see the best solution for leagues and clubs."

Some matches on the continent, including Paris Saint-Germain's Champions League clash with Borussia Dortmund, were played behind closed doors earlier this month, and Ceferin stated playing games without fans in attendance may be the only solution in order to complete the season.

"It's hard for me to imagine all the matches behind closed doors, but we still don't know whether we'll resume, with or without spectators," he said.

"If there was no alternative, it would be better to finish the championships."

Related items

  • LaLiga would have ended if Real Madrid were top, says former Barcelona president LaLiga would have ended if Real Madrid were top, says former Barcelona president

    Former Barcelona president Joan Gaspart claimed LaLiga would have been cancelled if Real Madrid were top of the table when the season was suspended.

    The LaLiga campaign is set to get back underway next month, with Barcelona holding a two-point lead over Madrid with 11 games left to play.

    But Gaspart, who was Barca president from 2000 to 2003, said it would have been different if Madrid were leading the league when it was suspended in March due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    "If Madrid had finished as leader before the confinement, LaLiga would have ended," he told Tertulia del 10 del Barca, via AS, on Wednesday.

    While Barcelona will aim to clinch the LaLiga title, they continue to be linked with former star Neymar, who could return to the club from Paris Saint-Germain.

    Gaspart hopes the Brazil international ends up back at Camp Nou, where he left in 2017 for a world-record €222million.

    "I would love to see Neymar at Barca. I understand that he can still contribute," he said.

    "What I don't know is the fine print. I forgive what it takes to get him back. I would like him to play for Barca."

  • Juventus signing Kulusevski hoping to emulate De Bruyne Juventus signing Kulusevski hoping to emulate De Bruyne

    Juventus signing Dejan Kulusevski hopes he can become as good as Manchester City star Kevin De Bruyne.

    Kulusevski, 20, was bought by Juve for €35million in January before being sent back to Parma on loan for the remainder of the season.

    The Swedish attacker said he had watched De Bruyne closely and is hoping he can emulate the Belgium star.

    "He is one of the top five players in the world," Kulusevski told Sky Sport on Wednesday.

    "I study a lot because he is a phenomenal player and because I want to become like [him], but also stronger.

    "Among my habits is to watch many games, because I learn a lot from my colleagues."

    Kulusevski was also linked with a move to Inter before deciding to sign with Juventus.

    The former Atalanta man said Juve coach Maurizio Sarri was one of the key reasons he chose the Serie A champions.

    "One of the reasons why I chose the Bianconeri was Sarri," Kulusevski said.

    "I think I can do very well and learn a lot with him. I watched all his Chelsea games."

  • Barcelona told Lautaro Martinez will not leave Inter unless release clause is met Barcelona told Lautaro Martinez will not leave Inter unless release clause is met

    Inter sporting director Piero Ausilio says Lautaro Martinez will not be sold to Barcelona unless the LaLiga club pay his release clause.

    Argentina striker Martinez has long been linked with a move to Camp Nou as a potential long-term replacement for Luis Suarez, but striking a deal appears to be complex.

    Barca were struggling to free up significant transfer funds before the coronavirus crisis and are said to be prepared to sell a host of squad players and offer others in part-exchange deals in a bid to land their top targets.

    Arturo Vidal, Nelson Semedo, Samuel Umtiti and Ivan Rakitic have all been touted as possible makeweights in any deal for the former Racing forward.

    Inter, though, have made it clear that any club interested in Martinez will have to pay the full amount of his reported €111million buyout clause, which is said to contain certain clauses including the fact that it must be paid in a single instalment.

    Ausilio told Sky Sport: "Lautaro Martinez is not for sale. Barcelona contacted us, we have a good relationship, but we told them we'll not sell Lautaro.

    "If they want him, Barca must pay the full release clause.

    "We want Lautaro in our team in the future. He will not be sold; the release clause is the only way. Barca know this as do the other clubs who contacted us. And Lautaro's release clause is so complicated..."

    Chelsea and Manchester United have also been linked with the 22-year-old, who has scored 11 goals in 22 Serie A appearances this season as part of a formidable Inter attack alongside Romelu Lukaku.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.