Coronavirus: Manfred says 'nothing's off the table' as MLB hopes to start road to comeback in May

By Sports Desk March 26, 2020

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said 'nothing's off the table' as the league gears towards preparing for the season in May amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The start of the 2020 MLB campaign has been put on hold due to the COVID-19 crisis, which has killed at least 21,200 people across the globe.

MLB was initially scheduled to begin on Thursday before cancelling all spring training games earlier this month and postponing Opening Day until at least mid-May.

Manfred provided an update on Wednesday as baseball outlines its plan to return from the postponement.

"The one thing I know for sure is baseball will be back," Manfred told ESPN. "Whenever it's safe to play, we'll be back. Our fans will be back. Our players will be back. And we will be part of the recovery, the healing in this country, from this particular pandemic.

"Look, my optimistic outlook is that at some point in May, we'll be gearing back. We'll have to make a determination, depending what the precise date is, as to how much of a preparation period we need, whether that preparation period is gonna be done in the clubs' home cities or back in Florida and Arizona.

"Again, I think the goal would be to get as many regular-season games as possible, and think creatively about how we can accomplish that goal."

Manfred added: "Nothing's off the table for us right now. I think we are open, and we've had some really positive conversations with our players' association about relaxing some of the rules that govern our schedule.

"They're very focused on returning to play and playing as many games as possible. And when you have that kind of positive dialogue, it creates an opportunity to do things that are a little different. You're not committed to them over the long term, because this year is a unique circumstance. But there's a lot of ideas out there, and we really are open to all of them."

 

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Trump unsure when sport will resume, thinks it'll be 'sooner rather than later' Coronavirus: Trump unsure when sport will resume, thinks it'll be 'sooner rather than later'

    United States president Donald Trump is unsure when sport can resume in the country, but hopes it is "sooner rather than later".

    With the coronavirus pandemic having brought sport to a standstill around the world, Trump spoke with leaders of the USA's leagues and organisations via a call on Saturday.

    The NBA, NHL, MLS, PGA Tour and NASCAR seasons were among those suspended, while the start of the MLB campaign was pushed back and there are concerns over the NFL.

    Trump hopes to see sport resume shortly, telling a media conference: "I want fans back in the arenas.

    "Whenever we're ready, as soon as we can obviously and the fans want to be back too, they want to see basketball and baseball and football and hockey, they want to see their sports.

    "They want to go out onto the golf courses and breathe nice, clean, beautiful fresh air."

    Asked about a possible resumption, Trump said: "I can't tell you a date.

    "But I think it's going to be sooner rather than later. We're not going to have to have separation for the rest of our times on the planet.

    "We need it for this period of time, but eventually people are going to be able to occupy those seats in arenas next to each other, like we have for all of my life and all of your life."

    More than 64,000 people have died from coronavirus worldwide, with the death toll in the USA exceeding 8,400.

  • Coronavirus: Astros pitcher Justin Verlander to donate weekly paycheques from MLB to charity Coronavirus: Astros pitcher Justin Verlander to donate weekly paycheques from MLB to charity

    Houston Astros pitcher Justin Verlander will be donating the paycheques he receives from the MLB during the coronavirus pandemic to charity.

    According to reports, Verlander will receive $33,411 per week until the season starts following an agreement between MLB and the Major League Baseball Players Association.

    The 2020 campaign was scheduled to start on March 26 but has been suspended due to the spread of COVID-19 and is now not expected to get under way until at least May.

    Verlander announced on social media that he and his wife Kate Upton will be donating the money they receive each week to a different charitable cause.

    In a statement posted on Instagram, the two-time American League Cy Young Award winner said: "Recently the @mlb announced they will be continuing to send paycheques to players while the season is suspended.

    "@kateupton and I have decided to donate those funds to a different organisation each week so that we can support their efforts and highlight the great work they're doing during the COVID-19 crisis.

    "Everyone around the world is affected by this virus, and we hope to contribute to the families and jobs affected, the healthcare workers and first responders on the front lines and the many others in need of basic necessities, medical supplies and support at home.

    "As soon as the first paycheque is received we will be highlighting the first organisation.

    "We know everyone is impacted by this crisis, but for those who are able, we encourage you to stay home to help flatten the curve and look to those around you who need a helping hand."

  • Cardinals' Mikolas nearing return to mound Cardinals' Mikolas nearing return to mound

    St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Miles Mikolas is on track to be ready for the team's delayed season opener as he continues his recovery from a forearm injury he sustained during spring training, general manager John Mozeliak has said.

    Mozeliak, speaking at a teleconference with reporters on Thursday, said Mikolas has progressed to playing catch up to 120 feet and is close to being cleared for throwing a light bullpen session. 

    The 2018 All-Star was briefly shut down during spring training after being diagnosed with a flexor tendon strain in his right forearm in February.

    Mikolas had been slated to miss the start of the 2020 season prior to Major League Baseball's shutdown due to the coronavirus pandemic. 

    The 31-year-old made 32 starts in each of his first two seasons with St. Louis after returning to the majors following a successful three-year stint in Japan, though he slipped to a 9-14 record and a 4.16 ERA in 2019 after going 18-4 with a 2.83 ERA the previous season.

    Mozeliak also gave a positive report on reliever Andrew Miller, who made just one Grapefruit League appearance before games were suspended as he dealt with a lack of feel for his pitches. The veteran left-hander has been working out at his home in Tampa and barring any setbacks, figures to be ready if and when the season resumes.

    Fellow reliever Brett Cecil, who strained his right hamstring during a Grapefruit League game on March 11, is expected to return to rehabilitation activities next week after taking some time off for personal reasons, according to Mozeliak.

    Mozeliak added that the Cardinals' spring facility in Jupiter, Florida remains "basically closed" as the team complies with social distancing guidelines intended to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.

    "We do have a couple of players that are in the Jupiter area that are coming in for their medical rehab treatment," he said. "It's not business as usual. It's very quiet."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.