Hurricanes ask employees to take time off

By Sports Desk March 25, 2020

Due to the ongoing coronavirus limiting team operations, the Carolina Hurricanes are asking full-time employees to take vacation or personal days off next week.

Team president and general manager Don Waddell told the Raleigh News and Observer that the Hurricanes were taking a week-by-week approach.

The Hurricanes announced this week that they would temporarily close their offices as of Tuesday while employees work remotely.

The decision does not affect employees working under contracts. It comes as Wake County commission chairman Greg Ford said the county soon plans to issue a stay-at-home order for residents similar to other areas of the state.

The report first cited an internal email that said employees would go without pay if they had used all allotted time off. Waddell later clarified that, telling the newspaper: "Everyone will get paid and we'll figure it out after that."

With remaining home games on hold due to the suspension of the NHL regular season, the Hurricanes previously announced plans to compensate arena and team-event staff for lost wages.

Related items

  • Blue Jackets defenseman Seth Jones returns to ice Blue Jackets defenseman Seth Jones returns to ice

    Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Seth Jones took to the ice for the first time in eight weeks on Sunday.

    Jones, who was selected to his fourth straight NHL All-Star Game this season, has been sidelined since suffering an ankle injury on February 8 against the Colorado Avalanche.

    He had surgery on February 11 and was expected to miss the remainder of the regular season before the NHL shut down due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    "Feels nice to be back on the ice after a longggg 8 weeks!" he posted on his official Twitter account, accompanied by a video of him walking onto the ice.

    Jones has 30 points in 56 games this season and leads the Blue Jackets in total ice time per game (25:17), while ranking second on the team with 123 blocks. His 30 points are second among all Columbus defensemen.

    Jones, the son of former NBA player Ronald 'Popeye' Jones, has 258 points in 524 career games with the Nashville Predators and Blue Jackets.

    Columbus held the second and final wild-card spot in the Eastern Conference when the NHL suspended play on March 12.

  • Coronavirus: Trump unsure when sport will resume, thinks it'll be 'sooner rather than later' Coronavirus: Trump unsure when sport will resume, thinks it'll be 'sooner rather than later'

    United States president Donald Trump is unsure when sport can resume in the country, but hopes it is "sooner rather than later".

    With the coronavirus pandemic having brought sport to a standstill around the world, Trump spoke with leaders of the USA's leagues and organisations via a call on Saturday.

    The NBA, NHL, MLS, PGA Tour and NASCAR seasons were among those suspended, while the start of the MLB campaign was pushed back and there are concerns over the NFL.

    Trump hopes to see sport resume shortly, telling a media conference: "I want fans back in the arenas.

    "Whenever we're ready, as soon as we can obviously and the fans want to be back too, they want to see basketball and baseball and football and hockey, they want to see their sports.

    "They want to go out onto the golf courses and breathe nice, clean, beautiful fresh air."

    Asked about a possible resumption, Trump said: "I can't tell you a date.

    "But I think it's going to be sooner rather than later. We're not going to have to have separation for the rest of our times on the planet.

    "We need it for this period of time, but eventually people are going to be able to occupy those seats in arenas next to each other, like we have for all of my life and all of your life."

    More than 64,000 people have died from coronavirus worldwide, with the death toll in the USA exceeding 8,400.

  • Hacker posts racial slurs on fan chat with Rangers prospect Hacker posts racial slurs on fan chat with Rangers prospect

    An online video chat with New York Rangers prospect K'Andre Miller was interrupted by a hacker that posted racial slurs.

    Miller – who is African-American – was the 22nd overall pick in the 2018 NHL Draft and completed his sophomore season at Wisconsin.

    The 20-year-old from St. Paul, Minnesota signed a three-year, $3.8million contract with the Rangers one day before the 2019-20 season was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    It is unknown if Miller saw the derogatory message on the Zoom chat, but he finished the interview on Friday.

    "We were incredibly appalled by this behavior, which has no place online, on the ice, or anywhere, and we are investigating the matter," the Rangers said in a statement.

    The NHL also released a statement, which read: "The National Hockey League is appalled that the video call arranged today by the New York Rangers to introduce their fans to one of the league's incoming stars, K'Andre Miller, was hacked with racist, cowardly taunts.

    "The person who committed this despicable act is in no way an NHL fan and not welcome in the hockey community.

    "No one deserves to be subjected to such ugly treatment and it will not be tolerated in our league. We join the Rangers in condemning this disgusting behaviour."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.