Coronavirus: RFEF maintain priority is to complete LaLiga season

By Sports Desk March 25, 2020

President Luis Rubiales says the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) is determined to save this season, even if a resumption at the start of May appears unlikely.

LaLiga, along with the rest of the major leagues in European football, has been put on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic, with no games played in the Spanish top tier since Real Sociedad won 2-1 at Eibar on March 10.

The country has been hit hard by the outbreak of COVID-19, suffering over 3,000 deaths and more than 47,000 cases of the virus reported.

An indefinite suspension of the 2019-20 campaign was announced on Monday amid the crisis, while both the Europa League and Champions League finals will not take place as originally planned at the end of May.

Rubiales on Wednesday revealed there is the possibility of extending the season beyond the scheduled finish to make sure all fixtures are played, rather than cutting short the campaign.

"The priority is to complete the season," he said at a press conference. "We can't just relegate teams now. Teams have to be promoted by right.

"There are hundreds of teams waiting to complete the season. When the country recovers, that will be the moment to complete the current season.

"Let's hope I'm mistaken and that we can play at the start of May. I don't think that'll be possible, but I'd love to be proved wrong, we'll have to extend the calendar.

"The objective is to save this season. That's our idea."

However, Rubiales also confirmed RFEF remain cautious over discussing any potential return date during such "an extreme time" for the country.

"We are working on every scenario possible, but we don't want to play predictor. We have to be very cautious and rigorous," Rubiales told the media.

"We are living an extreme time, with many deaths. We have never put a deadline to restart playing and we will not be doing now.

"We believe the deadline should be health, integrity and safety. Mainly when the country takes back the normal situation."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Guardiola's mother dies after contracting COVID-19, Man City confirm Coronavirus: Guardiola's mother dies after contracting COVID-19, Man City confirm

    Pep Guardiola's mother has died aged 82 after contracting coronavirus, Manchester City have confirmed.

    Dolors Sala Carrio passed away in Barcelona on Monday, with the club releasing a statement on their official Twitter account.

    It read: "The Manchester City family are devastated to report the death today of Pep's mother Dolors Sala Carrio in Manresa, Barcelona after contracting coronavirus. She was 82 years old.

    "Everyone associated with the club sends their most heartfelt sympathy at this most distressing time to Pep, his family and all their friends."

    Guardiola was reported to have returned home to Spain before the country was put on lockdown in an attempt to curb the spread of COVID-19.

    He made a €1million donation to the Angel Soler Daniel Foundation last month, with a view to boosting investment in medical equipment in Catalonia.

    Spain has been affected by COVID-19 more than any other European country, with over 135,000 confirmed cases as of Monday.

    More than 13,000 people have lost their lives after contracting the virus, which emerged in China late last year.

  • Neymar one of the best, but doesn't set a good example – Del Bosque Neymar one of the best, but doesn't set a good example – Del Bosque

    Barcelona have been warned against pandering to their players' apparent desire to see Neymar return to the club, with former Spain and Real Madrid boss Vicente del Bosque adamant he does not set a "good example".

    Neymar spent four years at Camp Nou until 2017, when he left for Paris Saint-Germain as the most expensive player of all time in a €222million move.

    While the Brazilian has undoubtedly caught the eye in Paris, scoring 47 goals and setting up another 26 in just 52 Ligue 1 matches, rarely has he appeared happy.

    A return to Spain with Barca or Real Madrid has often been mooted, though reports linking him with his former club have been significantly more prominent in the past year.

    Del Bosque, a Madrid icon and World Cup-winning coach with Spain, thinks he is a problem and cautioned the Barca hierarchy against caving into the supposed demands of players who reportedly want Neymar back in Catalonia.

    "It is the clubs that must decide who to sign and who not to sign," Del Bosque told Mundo Deportivo.

    "You should not pay attention to what the players say, for that there are sports directors and technical secretaries. It is very difficult for a footballer to speak ill of another footballer who has been his team-mate. I don't remember almost anyone who has.

    "[Neymar] is a difficult boy. For me he is not a good example, and for the record, for me he is great as a player.

    "If you ask me to tell you the top five in the world, he is safely on my list, but on the pitch he tries to cheat, he simulates a lot. And also, how did he leave Barcelona?"

  • Rumour Has It: PSG expect Neymar & Mbappe to stay, Barca rebuffed by Inter, De Ligt wanted by Madrid Rumour Has It: PSG expect Neymar & Mbappe to stay, Barca rebuffed by Inter, De Ligt wanted by Madrid
© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.