Coronavirus: Federer to donate one million Swiss francs to vulnerable families

By Sports Desk March 25, 2020

Roger Federer has pledged to donate one million Swiss francs to help the most vulnerable families in his homeland during the coronavirus pandemic.

The 20-time grand slam champion said the donation he and his wife Mirka made is "just a start" and urged others to help those most in need during the COVID-19 crisis.

Switzerland has 10,456 confirmed cases of the virus, with 145 people having died.

In a typically classy post, Federer wrote on Instagram post: "These are challenging times for everyone and nobody should be left behind. 

"Mirka and I have personally decided to donate one million Swiss Francs for the most vulnerable families in Switzerland. 

"Our contribution is just a start. We hope that others might join in supporting more families in need. Together we can overcome this crisis! Stay healthy!"

The ATP Tour has cancelled all tennis through to June 7, wiping out the clay-court season.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Kyrgios offers to help struggling Australians Coronavirus: Kyrgios offers to help struggling Australians

    Nick Kyrgios has vowed to help anyone who has fallen on hard times due to the coronavirus crisis by delivering food to their doorstep.

    Australian world number 40 Kyrgios on Monday took to Instagram to offer his support for those struggling during the COVID-19 pandemic.

    He wrote: "If ANYONE is not working/not getting an income and runs out of food, or times are just tough...please don't go to sleep with an empty stomach.

    "Don't be afraid or embarrassed to send me a private message. I will be more than happy to share what I have. Even just for a box of noodles, a load of bread or milk.

    "I will drop it off at your doorstep, no questions asked."

    Unemployment is expected to soar in Australia following as a result of such unprecedented times, with businesses forced to close.

    Kyrgios also played a huge part in raising funds for the bushfire crisis in his homeland earlier this year.

  • Coronavirus: Zverev suspects he contracted COVID-19 prior to Australian Open Coronavirus: Zverev suspects he contracted COVID-19 prior to Australian Open

    Australian Open semi-finalist and German star Alexander Zverev suspects he contracted coronavirus in December.

    COVID-19 has wreaked havoc across the world, with more than 69,300 deaths globally and sport brought to a standstill.

    All ATP and WTA tournaments have been called off until mid-July, with Wimbledon cancelled, due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Zverev produced his best grand slam performance at the Australian Open, where he reached the semi-finals in January, and the 22-year-old believes he may have been infected prior to the year's opening major in Melbourne.

    "My friend Brenda and I were in China on December 28," the world number seven told Bild.

    "You can't imagine how I coughed for a month in Australia. I had a fever for two or three days and I coughed for five or six hours. Brenda too. We didn't know what it was. It was a cough that I never had. I had no pain, but I coughed continuously every 10 seconds.

    "I had no pain, but I coughed continuously every ten seconds."

  • Coronavirus: Del Potro 'still nervous' watching US Open final win over Federer Coronavirus: Del Potro 'still nervous' watching US Open final win over Federer

    Juan Martin del Potro was "still nervous" as he watched a replay of his US Open final win over Roger Federer in 2009.

    The coronavirus pandemic has brought sport to a standstill around the world, with many broadcasters opting to show classic matches from the past.

    Del Potro, whose career has been ravaged by injuries, won his only grand slam 11 years ago, beating Federer in a five-setter in New York.

    On his Instagram story on Saturday, the Argentinian was watching a replay of his 3-6 7-6 (7-5) 4-6 7-6 (7-4) 6-2 victory.

    Del Potro wrote: "[It's] 11 years later and I'm still nervous."

    Del Potro, 31, was last in action in mid-2019 before needing surgery on his knee.

    The ATP and WTA Tour seasons are suspended until at least July 13, with Wimbledon having been cancelled for the first time since World War II.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.