Coronavirus: NCAA denies shutting down Trevor Lawrence fundraiser

By Sports Desk March 24, 2020

The NCAA has denied claims it shut down a coronavirus fundraiser belonging to Clemson star quarterback Trevor Lawrence and his girlfriend.

Lawrence, widely expected to be the first overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, set up a GoFundMe page with his partner Marissa Mowry to raise money for those affected by the spread of coronavirus.

However, Mowry said in a video on her Instagram page that she and Lawrence had been forced to take down the fundraiser. A report by The State claimed Clemson had asked for the page to be removed to comply with NCAA rules.

"Unfortunately Trevor cannot be a part of this anymore due to compliance and some rules, so he can't help out anymore," Mowry explained in the video. "And also we have to take down the GoFundMe page."

However, in a statement on Twitter, the NCAA said Lawrence and Mowry could continue their fundraising efforts.

"The NCAA did not ask Clemson student-athlete Trevor Lawrence to take down his fundraiser for COVID-19 patients and their families," it read. 

"We continue to work with member schools so they have the flexibility to ensure that student-athletes and communities impacted by this illness are supported, and we applaud Trevor for his efforts."

The United States has over 53,200 confirmed cases of coronavirus with at least 689 deaths.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Bills offer draft prize for fans donating to fund Coronavirus: Bills offer draft prize for fans donating to fund

    Buffalo Bills fans who donate to a local coronavirus fund will enter a prize draw to be on the phone when their first draft pick is called in later this month.

    Bills general manager Brandon Beane has encouraged fans to follow his lead after donating $20,000 to an effort set up for organisations impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.

    As an incentive to encourage people to contribute to the WNY COVID-19 Community Response Fund, the Bills are offering numerous prizes.

    One winner will be on the phone with Beane when he calls in the Bills' first selection in the 2020 NFL Draft, which is due to be the 54th overall pick in the second round.

    Beane has also offered to host a lunch, take part in a one-to-one Zoom question-and-answer session and bring a fan to a Bills practice session.

    Game tickets and an autographed Josh Allen jersey are some of the other prizes on offer.

    "I thought with the draft coming up in a few weeks, that this would be a nice distraction for people who are going through tough times right now," Beane said.

    "We know how enthusiastic Bills fans are, so I'm just trying to find a way to engage them and to open up opportunities that fans don't have access to generally and to inspire them to get involved."

    He added: "We're a community that's blue-collar. We're going to all work together and get through this.

    "While we're facing a worldwide pandemic, we must start relief efforts in our area first. What better way to get our fans involved? We've seen how passionate they are from their work with other charitable groups."

  • Ex-Pats star Gronkowski wins first WWE belt at WrestleMania Ex-Pats star Gronkowski wins first WWE belt at WrestleMania

    Former New England Patriots and NFL star Rob Gronkowski has made a successful transition away from American football, winning his first WWE belt at WrestleMania 36.

    Gronkowski – who retired from the NFL in 2018 – made his WWE debut at WrestleMania almost three years ago, while the 30-year-old appeared on Smackdown for the first time last month.

    WWE is continuing with events behind closed doors at its performance centre in Orlando, Florida, due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Gronkowski captured the 24/7 Championship during the second night of the event's broadcast on Sunday, in front of no fans.

    The three-time Super Bowl champion and five-time Pro Bowler pinned Mojo Rawley after a huge stage dive to become a titleholder.

  • Coronavirus: Colts owner Irsay donating 10,000 masks Coronavirus: Colts owner Irsay donating 10,000 masks

    Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay is donating 10,000 N95 masks to distribute amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    Irsay made the announcement via Twitter on Sunday, with the masks to be donated to Indiana State Department of Health.

    The 60-year-old wrote: "We must fight and fight WE MUST! We must win and WIN WE MUST! We must fight for, protect, Inspire and pray for every Hoosier that draws a breath in faith or in doubt!

    "In UNITY NOTHING can defeat us! HOOSIER POWER AND UNITY......#AmericanLiberty."

    COVID-19 is wreaking havoc globally, with more than 69,300 deaths and over 1, 200,300 confirmed cases.

    In the United States, the death count has exceeded 9,500, while confirmed cases have climbed above 334,700.

    Coronavirus has brought sport to a standstill across the world, including the NBA, NHL and MLB.

    However, the NFL is hopeful the 2020 season will get underway as scheduled in September.

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.