Elaine Thompson-Herah has mixed feelings at pending postponement of 2020 Olympics

By March 23, 2020

Elaine Thompson-Herah has expressed disappointment over the reported postponement of the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan, over the coronavirus pandemic.

 However, the 27-year-old Olympic champion has embraced the reality of the situation, recognizing that the International Olympic Committee (IOC) might have had little choice in arriving at their position.

“I was so looking forward to this year’s Olympics Tokyo 2020. We all are facing this global pandemic but we as athletes still have to keep training no matter what,” she said.

“We can just only hope for the best. Delay Is Not Denial.”

At the 2016 Rio Olympics, Thompson-Herah won the 100m and 200m titles becoming the first woman since Florence Griffith-Joyner in 1988 to accomplish that feat. Since then she has not had much fortune at global championships.

After going into the World Championships in London in 2017 with the fastest time world in the 100m (10.71) and was impressive through the rounds, she finished a disappointing fifth.

The Jamaican team doctor Kevin Jones revealed afterwards that the 2015 200m silver medallist had eaten something that made her unwell, and which resulted in her throwing up several times before the start of the finals won by American Tori Bowie.

In Doha in 2019, she also went into the World Championships with the joint fastest time in the world (10.73) with the eventual gold medallist Shelly-Ann Fraser Pryce. However, the flare-up of a longstanding Achilles-related injury saw her finish fourth in the 100m. The injury also forced her to withdraw from the 200m.

The 2020 Olympics would have been an opportunity for her to find redemption and live up to the immense potential that made her the fastest woman in the world in 2016. Nevertheless, 2020 was always going to be a challenge with the outbreak of the coronavirus causing the cancellation of the Grenada Invitational that was set for April 4.

She had planned to open her season there.

However, after weeks of insisting that the Olympics would go as planned, the IOC seemed to have been forced to backtrack after Canada and Australia stated publicly that they would withdraw from the Olympic Games if they were not postponed until 2021.

The USA Track and Field Association and Swimming Associations have also called on the IOC to postpone the Games set for July 24-August 8, 2020.

World Athletics chief Lord Sebastian Coe has also wavered and said Monday that track and field’s governing body would be willing to move the 2021 World Championships set for Eugene, Oregon to accommodate the rescheduled Olympic Games.

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Seville derby to relaunch LaLiga season on June 11 Coronavirus: Seville derby to relaunch LaLiga season on June 11

    LaLiga will return with the derby between Sevilla and Real Betis on Thursday, June 11, it has been confirmed.

    Spain's Higher Council of Sport (CSD) said it had agreed the resumption plans with the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) and LaLiga.

    The CSD issued a statement that confirmed plans for the season to end on July 18-19.

    There are 11 rounds of games still to be played in LaLiga, with Barcelona two points clear of Real Madrid when the coronavirus pandemic forced football to be suspended in March.

    "The resumption of competition will take place during the weekend of June 13-14, with the first match on Thursday the 11th between Sevilla and Real Betis," the CSD statement said.

    "The last day will occur, provisionally and always depending on the evolution of the pandemic, on the weekend of July 18 and 19."

    The Segunda Division can also resume on June 13-14.

    LaLiga president Javier Tebas had been pushing for the June 11 derby date since Spanish prime minister Pedro Sanchez confirmed last Saturday that football could resume from June 8.

    Previous reports had suggested the first LaLiga match would be played on June 12, exactly three months after the suspension started; however, Tebas has got the outcome he wanted.

    All LaLiga games for the remainder of the 2019-20 season will be played behind closed doors.

    The CSD praised those who took part in the talks to structure the final weeks of the campaign amid the unprecedented circumstances, saying the same officials would meet on a monthly basis, or, where necessary, more often until the season is concluded.

    To fit in so many games in such a short period of time, the RFEF on Wednesday said it would allow matches to be played on Mondays and Fridays.

    The Seville derby is expected to kick off at 22:00 local time due to the intense heat in Andalusia's capital.

  • Coronavirus: Herrera questions 'drastic' decision to end Ligue 1 campaign early Coronavirus: Herrera questions 'drastic' decision to end Ligue 1 campaign early

    Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Ander Herrera believes Ligue 1 chiefs were "too drastic" in bringing an early end to the season.

    PSG were declared champions on April 30 after the remainder of the French top-flight campaign was called off due to the coronavirus pandemic, with most teams still having 10 games remaining.

    However, the Bundesliga resumed earlier this month and plans are in place for LaLiga, Serie A and the Premier League to get back under way in June.

    Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has been vocal in his opposition to voiding the season, with his side finishing seventh and missing out on a place in the Champions League.

    Herrera is also unsure why the Ligue de Football Professionnel (LFP) was so quick to cancel the rest of 2019-20 and admits to being "envious" of those still playing.

    "In my opinion, France cancelled the league prematurely because it is showing that they can come back," Herrera told Marca. "You see your team-mates working and you are envious.

    "Soccer without the fans loses a lot, but I also want to see the positive part because I am a soccer lover and we will be able to listen to the players, the coaches.

    "The measures that France was taking as a country were not being so drastic as to suspend the league. My friends and family were confined in Spain and we could continue to leave.

    "From my point of view, the decision was made prematurely, with the best intention but it is showing that the soccer of other countries is pulling forward."

    Herrera joined PSG from Manchester United on a five-year deal last July and made 18 appearances in all competitions in his first campaign for the French giants.

  • Jamaica Cricket Association mourns passing of Senior Women's Coach Cleon Smith Jamaica Cricket Association mourns passing of Senior Women's Coach Cleon Smith

    The Jamaica Cricket Association has expressed sadness at the passing of National Senior Women’s team coach Cleon Smith who died on Thursday, after a brief illness.

    is truly saddened at the passing of Mr Cleon Smith, who was at the time of his death today, the coach for the National Senior Women’s team.

    In addition to Jamaica’s senior women’s team, Smith was also the coach for the Northern Panthers Franchise, the Senior Men, Women and U15 coach for the St. Ann Cricket Association and he also coached at York Castle High School.

    According to the JCA, Smith fell ill and was admitted to the Kingston Public Hospital just about two weeks ago but failed to recover from his ailment. They praised him for his contribution to the sport.

    “Coach Smith was the epitome of commitment to the sport. Cricket has been a life-long love for him, and his association with the JCA dates back well over a decade. While Cleon was involved with the national programme as a coach for the national women’s team for an extended period, he stood in as U-17 men’s coach at one point. Beyond that, he was involved at the local franchise level, the parish level and even Headley Cup,” said JCA CEO Courtney Francis.

    “It is quite a sad day for us at the JCA and across the local cricket landscape. Jamaica’s cricket was better off for his years of dedicated service. Our thoughts and prayers are with the senior women’s team in this moment and we will reach out to provide support for them as they would be the hardest hit within the national programme.

    “To his family, we extend our deepest condolences. We are with you in this period of grief and we will be a pillar of strength on which you can lean. The JCA is here for you,” he added.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.