Dacres not worried about possible Olympic cancellation, understands hurt at the loss of Champs

By March 18, 2020
Fedrick Dacres Fedrick Dacres

World Championship silver medallist Fedrick Dacres is all for the cancellation of the ISSA Boys’ and Girls’ Athletic Championships in favour of social distancing and helping to slow the spread of COVID-19, which has already claimed one life in Jamaica.

Despite the paramount importance of keeping healthy, Dacres understands the sacrifice athletes make to attend the high school showpiece event and is especially saddened for those who are in their final year of eligibility.

“I definitely feel it for them because they will never experience this again but I guess it’s in precaution for the whole corona situation but I know, if it was me, I’d be really hurt and they won’t have the experience so they can talk about it and everything but I guess, you know, it’s for the best,” said Dacres.

The athlete was speaking last week at the UWI Invitational after the event was controversially cancelled when the country announced its first Coronavirus confirmation.

That controversy has died a natural death however, as Jamaica has since seen that number balloon to 13 with one death, a 78-year-old man who travelled from New York.

Dacres, interestingly, was a lot less worried about the status of the Olympic Games, saying there isn’t much he could do but continue to prepare for the Games as best as possible.

“I’m a soldier. It’s not really for me to think about my programme and anything like that. It’s more for my coach. Once he has everything down, we’re good to go. Whenever it comes, it comes. We’ll just prepare properly,” he said.

To date, despite the increasing spread of the Coronavirus with more than 200,000 having been afflicted and almost 9,000 deaths, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has continued to play a wait-and-see game regarding making a decision about the Games.

“"The IOC remains fully committed to the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, and with more than four months to go before the Games there is no need for any drastic decisions at this stage; and any speculation at this moment would be counter-productive,” read a statement from the IOC.

That statement went on to implore athletes to continue preparations for the Games in earnest.

Prime Minister of Japan, Shinzo Abe, has a Coronavirus problem on his hands as well, but insists preparations for the games will not miss a beat and the hope is that the efficiency the country uses to, not only get the virus under control, but to get the venues ready, would convince the IOC that the show must go on.

"We will do our utmost to prepare as scheduled so that the International Olympic Committee will be convinced we are capable of hosting the games," said Abe.

Japan now has 899 cases of COVID-19 with 29 deaths.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Dodgers' Price opts out of MLB season due to COVID-19 concerns Coronavirus: Dodgers' Price opts out of MLB season due to COVID-19 concerns

    Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher David Price will not play this season because of concerns over the coronavirus pandemic. 

    The start of the 2020 MLB campaign was scheduled to get underway in March before it was postponed due to the COVID-19 crisis.

    Now, a 60-game regular season is set to begin on July 23 but Price – who was acquired from the Boston Red Sox along with 2018 American League MVP Mookie Betts in February for Alex Verdugo and prospects – will not be involved.

    "After considerable thought and discussion with my family and the Dodgers, I have decided it is in the best interest of my health and my family's health for me not to play this season," Price announced via social media on Saturday.

    "I will miss my team-mates and will be cheering for them throughout the season and on to a World Series victory. I'm sorry I won't be playing for you this year, but look forward to representing you next year.

    "Stay safe, be well, and be kind. And go Dodgers!"

    The announcement by the five-time All-Star comes a day after Los Angeles Angels star Mike Trout said he was not "comfortable" with the current situation and is still unsure whether he will play due to his pregnant wife.  

    San Francisco Giants veteran catcher Buster Posey said he may choose not to play in 2020 on Saturday.

    Colorado Rockies outfielder Ian Desmond, Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Mike Leake and Washington Nationals team-mates Joe Ross and Ryan Zimmerman have already said they will not play this season. 

    Price was set to earn $32million this season, with the Red Sox paying $16m of that, before the coronavirus crisis.

    The 2012 AL Cy Young award winner went 7-5 with a 4.28 ERA for Boston last season and helped the Red Sox defeat the Dodgers in the 2018 World Series. 

  • PUMA adds Omar McLeod to #Foreverfaster roster PUMA adds Omar McLeod to #Foreverfaster roster

    Olympic 110-metre hurdles champion, Omar McLeod, is now a PUMA athlete, making the move from Nike, with whom he had been contracted since 2015.

    McLeod made the announcement himself on Instagram on Friday, saying: “happy to be part of the #foreverfaster family.”

    McLeod burst onto the scene in 2015, lowering his personal best of 13.44 to 12.97, setting the national record for the first time and becoming the national champion.

    A year later, McLeod was winning the World Indoor title, running the 60-metre hurdles in 7.41 seconds.

    He would finish sixth at the World Championships. In another year, McLeod would make history for Jamaica, running 13.05 seconds to claim Olympic gold. He would add a World Championship gold to his Olympic title the following year, but was unable to defend that title in 2019 after clipping a hurdle.

  • Coronavirus: Giants' Posey considering opting out of 2020 season Coronavirus: Giants' Posey considering opting out of 2020 season

    San Francisco Giants catcher Buster Posey has suggested he may choose not to play baseball in 2020.

    Teams were allowed to begin team training in their home ballparks on Wednesday in preparation for a 60-game regular season scheduled to begin July 23.

    However, Posey, a 33-year-old franchise cornerstone, addressed the uncertainty of a coronavirus-shortened MLB regular season.

    "There's still some reservation on my end. I think I want to see kind of how things progress here over the next couple of weeks," Posey told reporters.

    Posey’s comments come just hours after the Atlanta Braves announced that star first baseman Freddie Freeman and three of his team-mates have tested positive for the coronavirus.

    Major League Baseball released the results of its first round of league-wide COVID-19 testing on Friday, announcing that 31 players and seven staff members have the virus.

    "It would be a little bit maybe naive or silly not to gauge what's going on around you – not only around you here but paying attention to what's happening in the country, in different parts of the country," Posey said.

    "Obviously unprecedented times right now so most definitely I've thought about it and talked about it with my wife quite a bit."

    Posey missed the Giants' first day of training on Friday due to personal reasons before arriving on Saturday.

    The six-time All-Star has spent all 11 of his major league seasons in San Francisco, batting .302 with 140 home runs and 673 RBI.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.