Hamilton and Wolff relaxed over F1 champion's Mercedes future amid 'crazy' speculation

By Sports Desk February 27, 2020

Lewis Hamilton is still in no rush to enter contract talks with Mercedes amid "crazy" speculation over his future.

The six-time Formula One world champion is in the final year of his deal and continues to be linked with a move to Ferrari.

Hamilton reiterated that he is not in a hurry to hold negotiations with the Silver Arrows, but expects to get around the table in the near future as the 35-year-old prepares to start the defence of his title next month.

"We haven't sat down and talked yet," said the Briton as he and Mercedes boss Toto Wolff talked to Sky Sports F1.

"It's crazy because there's all these talks in the media and everything.

"I have a certain approach normally in the sense that I don't stress. I trust Toto and we have that trust between us.

"We have told each other basically what our goals are, and what our aims are, and our commitments and so I don't ever feel there's necessarily always a rush.

"But sometimes Toto's like 'is everything okay?'. So we always keep the channel open and I'm sure in the near future we'll start to sit down. But I don't feel stressed."

Team principal Wolff is also relaxed about Hamilton's future.

The German said: "I texted Lewis the other day and [said] I'm reading all these comments in the press about our negotiations and that Lewis is asking for so much money – we have never talked about it. It's all made up.

"Then I said maybe we should sit down one day and have the chat. But I think I know so well where he's going to go, you know where I am, it's about finding a day where we spend a few hours together. That's what we've done in the past."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: McLaren drivers Sainz and Norris take pay cuts Coronavirus: McLaren drivers Sainz and Norris take pay cuts

    McLaren drivers Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris have both taken voluntary pay cuts after their team became the first in Formula One to put some staff on furlough.

    The 2020 F1 season is yet to begin and all grands prix have either been cancelled or postponed up until mid-June due to the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.

    The financial impact on such a suspension has led to British-based team McLaren furloughing some employees for the next three months under a scheme offered by the government in the United Kingdom.

    A statement from McLaren, published on F1's website, read: "The McLaren Group is temporarily furloughing a number of employees as part of wider cost-cutting measures due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on its business.

    "These measures are focused on protecting jobs in the short term to ensure our employees return to full-time work as the economy recovers."

    It was also confirmed that Sainz and Norris had volunteered to have their salaries reduced.

    Sainz wrote on Twitter: "Due to the impact of COVID19, the McLaren Group has adopted difficult temporary measures regarding its staff to hopefully protect jobs in the long term.

    "I fully understand these tough decisions and I have obviously decided to take a pay cut. We are all in this together."

    It was a McLaren crew member who tested positive for coronavirus on the eve of last month's Australian Grand Prix, the season-opening race.

    The team pulled out as a result, with the grand prix called off altogether shortly after.

  • Owzat! England star Stokes to take to the track in virtual F1 grand prix Owzat! England star Stokes to take to the track in virtual F1 grand prix

    England cricketer Ben Stokes is in for a test of an altogether different kind after he was confirmed as one of the celebrity racers in the second virtual Formula One grand prix.

    Stokes is one of cricket's biggest names but will now be pushing his boundaries against F1 pros Charles Leclerc, Alexander Albon, George Russell, Lando Norris and Nicholas Latifi.

    The inaugural race in Formula One's Virtual Grand Prix Series, an Esports tournament filling the void in the absence of the usual race calendar amid the coronavirus pandemic, took place on March 22, with cyclist Chris Hoy, golfer Ian Poulter and ex-One Direction star Liam Payne taking part – the latter showing no control as he finished 17th.

    Former driver Johnny Herbert – who finished in 13th – returns for a second shot.

    Sunday's race, which will be broadcast live at 19:00 UTC on F1's official YouTube, Twitch and Facebook channels, is scheduled to last 90 minutes and will be held at the virtual Albert Park track, the venue often used for the Australian Grand Prix.

    A qualifying period will determine grid positions, followed by a 28-lap race.

  • Iannone given 18-month ban for anti-doping violation Iannone given 18-month ban for anti-doping violation

    Aprilia rider Andrea Iannone has been banned for 18 months after testing positive for a banned substance last year.

    Iannone was provisionally suspended in December after returning an adverse finding of a non-specified substance, later confirmed to be an illegal anabolic agent, in a urine sample taken at last year's Malaysian Grand Prix.

    The Italian requested analysis of his B sample, which confirmed the initial result.

    The FIM International Disciplinary Court (CDI) confirmed on Wednesday that the 30-year-old has been given a ban backdated to December 17, meaning it will run until June 16, 2021.

    Iannone will miss the 2020 season, which is currently suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic, and the early rounds of next year.

    MotoGP added in a statement that Iannone was also officially disqualified from last year's races in Malaysia and Spain, although he did not finish either.

    Iannone has 21 days to file an appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

    The next scheduled MotoGP race is at Le Mans on May 17, with the first five rounds having been called off amid the spread of COVID-19.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.