Juve v Inter in doubt with Italian PM considering postponing Week 26 Serie A fixtures due to coronavirus

By Sports Desk February 23, 2020

Italy prime minister Giuseppe Conte revealed all of Serie A's Week 26 fixtures, including the blockbuster showdown between Juventus and Inter, could be postponed due to coronavirus fears.

The outbreak of coronavirus in Italy forced four top-flight matches to be postponed over the weekend, including Sunday's clash between Scudetto hopefuls Inter and Sampdoria.

Italy's move came as part of preventative measures against the spread of the coronavirus, officially named COVID-19 which originated in China, after two people died and dozens more reportedly tested positive.

Now, upcoming fixtures across Italy's leagues are in doubt, with Serie A leaders Juve scheduled to host Inter in Turin on March 1.

"I don't think that in just one week we'd be able to slow down the contagion so much that we could resume sporting events," Conte told Rai.

"We are constantly monitoring the situation and will evaluate. We'll see the evolution of the contagion and evaluate postponing all next week's matches."

Juve are a point clear atop the table following Saturday's 2-1 victory away at bottom side SPAL.

Cristiano Ronaldo marked his 1,000th career appearance with a goal, scoring in an 11th consecutive top-flight match – matching a feat previously achieved by Gabriel Batistuta and Fabio Quagliarella.

In-form Lazio were also in action on Saturday and edged Genoa 3-2 to extend their unbeaten streak to 20 games, while Inter are six points off the pace with a game in hand.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: It's the season spoiled by the pandemic, not the year Liverpool were best – Deeney Coronavirus: It's the season spoiled by the pandemic, not the year Liverpool were best – Deeney

    Watford captain Troy Deeney believes the integrity of the Premier League season is "already gone" and said the coronavirus pandemic has spoiled Liverpool's dominance.

    Liverpool held a 25-point lead atop the Premier League table when the campaign was suspended in March due to COVID-19.

    While the Premier League is bidding to restart its season, Deeney has spoken about his health concerns amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    And the 31-year-old forward feels for Liverpool because their dominant season has been spoiled.

    "I believe that when it comes to the integrity of this season anyway, it's already gone," Deeney told CNN.

    "I feel sorry for Liverpool because no matter how it plays out, they deserve to win the league. They deserve to get the trophy.

    "But no matter how it plays out, even if we play all the games, it's still going to be the year spoiled by the pandemic.

    "It's not going to be that year that Liverpool won the league being the best team and, you know, it's 30 years they haven't won for."

    Liverpool had won 27 of 29 Premier League games this season, with one draw and a loss to Deeney's relegation-threatened Watford, who ended their 'Invincibles' bid.

    But Deeney said the integrity of this Premier League campaign had been ruined.

    "I do feel sorry for Liverpool and their players and Jordan [Henderson, captain], but in terms of integrity, there's no way you could say that this is a viable competition," he said.

    "It's like running a marathon, 20-odd miles, stopping for two months and then sprinting the last bit and going: 'Ah, that was a good time that.'"

  • LaLiga would have ended if Real Madrid were top, says former Barcelona president LaLiga would have ended if Real Madrid were top, says former Barcelona president

    Former Barcelona president Joan Gaspart claimed LaLiga would have been cancelled if Real Madrid were top of the table when the season was suspended.

    The LaLiga campaign is set to get back underway next month, with Barcelona holding a two-point lead over Madrid with 11 games left to play.

    But Gaspart, who was Barca president from 2000 to 2003, said it would have been different if Madrid were leading the league when it was suspended in March due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    "If Madrid had finished as leader before the confinement, LaLiga would have ended," he told Tertulia del 10 del Barca, via AS, on Wednesday.

    While Barcelona will aim to clinch the LaLiga title, they continue to be linked with former star Neymar, who could return to the club from Paris Saint-Germain.

    Gaspart hopes the Brazil international ends up back at Camp Nou, where he left in 2017 for a world-record €222million.

    "I would love to see Neymar at Barca. I understand that he can still contribute," he said.

    "What I don't know is the fine print. I forgive what it takes to get him back. I would like him to play for Barca."

  • Juventus signing Kulusevski hoping to emulate De Bruyne Juventus signing Kulusevski hoping to emulate De Bruyne

    Juventus signing Dejan Kulusevski hopes he can become as good as Manchester City star Kevin De Bruyne.

    Kulusevski, 20, was bought by Juve for €35million in January before being sent back to Parma on loan for the remainder of the season.

    The Swedish attacker said he had watched De Bruyne closely and is hoping he can emulate the Belgium star.

    "He is one of the top five players in the world," Kulusevski told Sky Sport on Wednesday.

    "I study a lot because he is a phenomenal player and because I want to become like [him], but also stronger.

    "Among my habits is to watch many games, because I learn a lot from my colleagues."

    Kulusevski was also linked with a move to Inter before deciding to sign with Juventus.

    The former Atalanta man said Juve coach Maurizio Sarri was one of the key reasons he chose the Serie A champions.

    "One of the reasons why I chose the Bianconeri was Sarri," Kulusevski said.

    "I think I can do very well and learn a lot with him. I watched all his Chelsea games."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.