NHL

Minnesota fire Boudreau as head coach

By Sports Desk February 15, 2020

The Minnesota Wild fired head coach Bruce Boudreau in his fourth season at the helm.

Boudreau, 65, led Minnesota to the NHL playoffs in his first two seasons after being named head coach in 2016.

However, the Wild failed to reach the playoffs last season and are struggling in sixth in the Central Division with a 27-23-7 record.

Dean Evason was named interim head coach of the Wild on Friday.

"The record the last 10 has been pretty good," Wild general manager Bill Guerin said.

"There's just some things I feel need to be better. I feel Dean is a guy that has a good grasp on that, and he's going to be able to execute it.

"I feel like the guys need a different voice right now moving forward."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: NHL, NHLPA reach return-to-play agreement Coronavirus: NHL, NHLPA reach return-to-play agreement

    The NHL and the NHL Players' Association (NHLPA) reached a tentative agreement to restart the coronavirus-affected 2019-20 season next month and extend the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) by four years. 

    The agreement, which calls for training camps to open on July 14 and a 24-team playoff to start August 1 in two hub cities – expected to be Toronto and Edmonton after the season was halted in March due to COVID-19 – will go into effect once ratified by the league's board of governors and the NHLPA's executive board as well as the players.  

    If approved, the CBA would run through 2025-26 and ensure 14 years of labour peace since a lockout shortened the 2012-13 season to 48 games. Details of the extension have not yet been made public. 

    The NHL did reveal details of the health and safety protocols agreed to by both parties that were necessary for the planned restart.

    They include daily testing for COVID-19 once players and team personnel have returned to their club's facility.

    Those who test positive or develop symptoms will be placed in isolation for a minimum of 10 days and must twice test negative before being allowed to rejoin the team. 

    Teams will also be limited to 31-player rosters and a maximum of 52 people in their traveling parties once games begin, with players to be housed separately in hotel rooms and forbidden to enter each other's rooms. Family members will be permitted to join players for only the conference finals and Stanley Cup Final.  

    Players can elect not to participate in the resumption but must notify their team within 72 hours of the completion of the ratification process. 

    Though terms of the CBA agreement are currently unknown, they are expected to resolve issues involving the salary cap and escrow payments from players to owners to guarantee an even split of league revenues. An agreement for players to be able to resume playing in future Olympics has also been a noted sticking point in negotiations. 

    NHL players did not compete in the 2018 Games in PyeongChang, South Korea after taking part in five consecutive Olympics from 1998-2014. 

  • Coronavirus: 35 NHL players test positive in last month Coronavirus: 35 NHL players test positive in last month

    The NHL released an update on coronavirus testing results on Monday, revealing that 35 players have tested positive over roughly the last month. 

    Of the 35 to test positive, 12 contracted the virus since voluntary workouts began June 8.  

    "As of Monday, July 6, the NHL has had 396 Players report to Club training/practice facilities for optional participation in Phase 2 activities," the NHL said in a statement.

    "There have been in excess of 2,900 COVID-19 tests administered (including more than 1,400 this past week) to this group of Players. Those tests have resulted in a total of 23 returning confirmed positive test results for COVID-19. 

    "In addition, since June 8 (the opening of Phase 2), the League is aware of 12 additional Players who have tested positive for COVID-19 outside of the Phase 2 Protocol. All Players who have tested positive have been self-isolated and are following CDC and Health Canada protocols. 

    "The NHL will continue to provide regular updates on the number of tests administered to Players and the results of those tests. The League will not be providing information on the identity of the Players or Clubs." 

    The NHL and its Players' Association on Sunday night reached an agreement on health and safety protocols pertaining to their scheduled restart of the season. 

    The deal contains daily testing for the coronavirus as well as quarantine rules for players who do test positive, limits on roster size and travelling party capacity when travelling for games, and gives players the option to opt out of the resumption as long as they notify their teams by Tuesday. 

    The two sides still need to work out a new collective bargaining agreement to move forward to the next phase of the league's plan, which calls for training camps to begin July 13. The NHL is slated to resume play on August 1 with a 24-team playoff format in two hub cities, Toronto and Edmonton, without fans in attendance. 

  • Top pick in NHL Draft Lottery to be decided by second drawing Top pick in NHL Draft Lottery to be decided by second drawing

    The first phase of the NHL Draft Lottery failed to reveal the team with the top overall selection on Friday, with it to be determined by the second phase. 

    The 2020 draft – originally scheduled for June 26-27 in Montreal – will be held after the Stanley Cup playoffs, which does not have a start date following the coronavirus crisis.

    The top pick and rights to likely select high-scoring forward Alexis Lafreniere will go to one of the eight teams that loses in the qualifying round.

    That team will be decided by a second drawing to be held before the start of the Stanley Cup playoffs. 

    The Los Angeles Kings will have the second pick and the Ottawa Senators will receive the third pick from the San Jose Sharks after the Erik Karlsson trade.

    "We're pretty excited," Kings president Luc Robitaille said. "It's always good to move up or down, whatever you want to call it. It's an exciting moment for the L.A. Kings and the franchise for sure."

    Ottawa also have the fifth selection, while the league-worst Detroit Red Wings had the best chance to win the top pick at 18.5 per cent but fell to fourth.

    The lottery included the seven teams that are not part of the NHL's 24-team return to play plan, plus the eight placeholder positions for the eliminated qualifiers.  

    "Still not drafted, so we'll have to wait a little bit," said Lafreniere, a star winger for Rimouski Oceanic in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. 

    The eight losing teams of the return-to-play qualification round will each have a 12.5 per cent chance at the top pick.  

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.