Mets manager Carlos Beltran leaves before a single game amid sign-stealing scandal

By Sports Desk January 16, 2020

New York Mets manager Carlos Beltran has left his post with the team before taking charge of a single game after he was named in MLB's findings from an investigation into sign stealing.

The Houston Astros were the subject of the investigation from the league after they had initially been warned about sign-stealing policies in September 2017 ahead of their run to a maiden World Series title later that season.

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said the Astros "took no action" to comply with the policies after the league-wide warning, and general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch were suspended before Houston sacked the pair.

Boston Red Sox manager Alex Cora was also dismissed after he was named by Manfred, with Beltran, an Astros player at the time, becoming the latest to lose his job.

Manfred revealed in his statement earlier this week: "Approximately two months into the 2017 season, a group of players, including Carlos Beltran, discussed that the team could improve on decoding opposing teams' signs and communicating the signs to the batter."

The Mets announced Beltran's departure in a statement on Thursday.

"We met with Carlos last night and again this morning and agreed to mutually part ways," chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon and executive vice president and general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said.

"This was not an easy decision. Considering the circumstances, it became clear to all parties that it was not in anyone's best interest for Carlos to move forward as manager of the New York Mets.

"We believe that Carlos was honest and forthcoming with us. We are confident that this will not be the final chapter in his baseball career.

"We remain excited about the talent on this team and are committed to reaching our goals of winning now and in the future."

Beltran added in his own statement released by the Mets: "At a meeting this morning with Jeff and Brodie, we mutually agreed to part ways.

"I'm grateful to them for giving me the opportunity, but we agreed this decision is in the best interest of the team. I couldn't let myself be a distraction for the team.

"I wish the entire organisation success in the future."

Nine-time All-Star Beltran retired from playing after finally landing a first title with the Astros.

The 42-year-old, who played for the Mets between 2005 and 2011, had only replaced Mickey Callaway as manager in November, signing a three-year contract with the option for another 12 months.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: MLB insists nothing decided amid reports season will start in May Coronavirus: MLB insists nothing decided amid reports season will start in May

    Major League Baseball insists it has not settled on any plans for how to begin the 2020 season, amid reports the league had set its sights on starting in May with all 30 teams playing games in Arizona in empty stadiums.

    ESPN reported that games would be held in the greater Phoenix area and take place at Chase Field, the home of the Arizona Diamondbacks, as well as 10 spring training facilities and possibly other nearby fields.

    Players, coaches and other team officials would be isolated in local hotels and only travel to and from the stadium sites in an effort to avoid spreading coronavirus.

    Federal officials reportedly support the plan that would allow MLB to become the first professional sport in the United States to return, but the league issued a statement on Tuesday saying nothing has been decided.

    "MLB has been actively considering numerous contingency plans that would allow play to commence once the public health situation has improved to the point that it is safe to do so," the statement said.

    "While we have discussed the idea of staging games at one location as one potential option, we have not settled on that option or developed a detailed plan.

    "While we continue to interact regularly with governmental and public health officials, we have not sought or received approval of any plan from federal, state and local officials, or the Players' Association.

    "We are not ready at this time to endorse any particular format for staging games in light of the rapidly changing public health situation caused by the coronavirus."

    MLB pushed back the start of the season from March 26 until at least mid-May and suspended spring training games on March 12 following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's recommendation not to conduct events of 50 or more people for a minimum of eight weeks.

  • MLB Hall of Famer and Detroit Tigers legend Al Kaline dead at 85 MLB Hall of Famer and Detroit Tigers legend Al Kaline dead at 85

    Major League Baseball Hall of Famer and Detroit Tigers legend Al Kaline has died at the age of 85.

    The cause of death was not immediately available.

    Kaline spent his entire 22-year major league career with the Tigers, retiring after the 1974 season, and is the franchise’s all-time leader in home runs with 399 and games played with 2,834.

    He was an 18-time All-Star and helped lead the Tigers to the 1968 World Series championship.

    Born in Baltimore, Maryland on December 19, 1934, he made his Tigers debut as an 18-year-old in 1953. Two years later, he hit .340 to become the youngest player to win an American League batting title. He finished his career with 3,007 hits and a .297 batting average, hitting .300 or better in nine seasons.

    In addition to being one of the top hitters of his time, Kaline was also considered one of baseball's top fielders, winning 10 Gold Glove Awards as a right fielder.

    He never won a Most Valuable Player Award, finishing second in voting twice and third once, but was a first-ballot Hall of Famer in 1980, garnering 88 percent of the votes.

    After his retirement, he worked as a Tigers broadcaster from 1976-2001, and he is one of six Tigers to be immortalised with a statue at Comerica Park.

  • Coronavirus: Trump unsure when sport will resume, thinks it'll be 'sooner rather than later' Coronavirus: Trump unsure when sport will resume, thinks it'll be 'sooner rather than later'

    United States president Donald Trump is unsure when sport can resume in the country, but hopes it is "sooner rather than later".

    With the coronavirus pandemic having brought sport to a standstill around the world, Trump spoke with leaders of the USA's leagues and organisations via a call on Saturday.

    The NBA, NHL, MLS, PGA Tour and NASCAR seasons were among those suspended, while the start of the MLB campaign was pushed back and there are concerns over the NFL.

    Trump hopes to see sport resume shortly, telling a media conference: "I want fans back in the arenas.

    "Whenever we're ready, as soon as we can obviously and the fans want to be back too, they want to see basketball and baseball and football and hockey, they want to see their sports.

    "They want to go out onto the golf courses and breathe nice, clean, beautiful fresh air."

    Asked about a possible resumption, Trump said: "I can't tell you a date.

    "But I think it's going to be sooner rather than later. We're not going to have to have separation for the rest of our times on the planet.

    "We need it for this period of time, but eventually people are going to be able to occupy those seats in arenas next to each other, like we have for all of my life and all of your life."

    More than 64,000 people have died from coronavirus worldwide, with the death toll in the USA exceeding 8,400.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.