Reinach to make Northampton exit

By Sports Desk January 14, 2020

South Africa scrum-half Cobus Reinach will leave Northampton Saints at the end of the season.

The 29-year-old pivot has been a revelation since arriving at Franklin's Gardens from Super Rugby franchise the Sharks in 2017. 

Reinach, a World Cup winner with the Springboks last year, has decided to move on after three campaigns with Northampton and is reportedly set to join Montpellier.

The pacy playmaker said: "I love playing for Saints and living in Northamptonshire. We have a fantastic group of coaches and staff, and an exciting squad that I believe can challenge for the major honours, so this has not been an easy decision for me to make. 

"I'd like to thank everyone for making the last three seasons so memorable; I'll be sad to leave some great friends and team-mates. 

"Saints will always have a special place in my heart and I look forward to giving everything I've got to make sure we finish the season with some silverware."

Chris Boyd, Saints' director of rugby, said: "While we're disappointed to lose a player of Cobus' quality, we respect that in the final years of his professional career he’s made a decision with the long-term future of his family in mind.

"Saints supporters love watching him play; he has provided them with plenty of memorable moments here at Franklin's Gardens. 

"I've been delighted with the form of Henry Taylor since his arrival at the start of the season, and with the emergence of Connor Tupai from our Academy set-up this year – plus getting Alex Mitchell back from injury in the coming weeks will feel like a new signing for us.

"Cobus is putting all his focus and energy into ensuring that Northampton have as much success as possible for the second half of the season, and we will wish him well after that."

Saints sit second in the Premiership table having won six of their first eight games. 

Related items

  • Marler's England career is not over - Jones Marler's England career is not over - Jones

    Eddie Jones says Joe Marler's decision to withdraw from England's Six Nations squad does not mean his Test career is over.

    Marler on Monday revealed he has opted against playing in the upcoming tournament so he can remain with his family during the coronavirus pandemic.

    He tweeted: "Always grateful for the opportunity so not an easy decision, but want to do right by my family in these crazy times and won't be meeting up with the squad for this tournament. Look forward to watching the team rip in. Go well."

    Marler announced his international retirement in 2018 in order to spend more time with his family but has gone on to take his tally of caps to 72 after reversing that decision.

    England head coach Jones said the 30-year-old Harlequins prop, who also made himself unavailable for the tour of Australia in 2016 as he needed a rest, will be considered when he is ready to play for his country again.

    "Joe has made a decision that we 100 per cent support," Jones said at the 2021 virtual Six Nations launch.

    "When he decides to make himself available again we will have another look at selection. And that's how we look at it - 100 per cent. No ifs or buts, it's as clear as day.

    "There will be some time in the future when he's ready to come back and will get selected. We'll take that when it comes.

    "Joe has been an outstanding player during my time with England and I'm sure he was outstanding before that.

    "He is tough, abrasive, a good defender, a great guy off the field. He's a bit nutty, but we like that, it's good to have characters like that in the squad."

    England have also lost Sam Underhill (hip) and Joe Launchbury (fibula stress fracture) for the defence of their title, which they start against Scotland at Twickenham a week on Saturday.

  • England suffer Underhill Six Nations blow England suffer Underhill Six Nations blow

    Sam Underhill is the latest player to withdraw from England's Six Nations squad due to a hip injury.

    Jack Willis has been called up as a replacement for back-row Underhill, who is another big loss for the defending champions.

    Underhill played a big part in England's Six Nations and Autumn Nations Cup triumphs last year but sustained an injury blow before he was due to link up with the squad at St. George's Park on Wednesday.

    Willis made his Test debut against Georgia last November and will be hoping to make his Six Nations bow in the coming weeks.

    Underhill's withdrawal comes a day after Joe Launchbury and Joe Marler were ruled out due to a fibula stress fracture and personal reasons respectively.

    England head coach Eddie Jones' preparations had already been disrupted last week when he was forced to go into self-isolation after his assistant Matt Proudfoot tested positive for coronavirus.

    The Red Rose start the defence of their title against Scotland at Twickenham a week on Saturday.

  • Uncapped Odogwu and Randall earn first England call-ups for Six Nations squad Uncapped Odogwu and Randall earn first England call-ups for Six Nations squad

    Wasps back Paolo Odogwu and Bristol scrum-half Harry Randall have won their first England call-ups for the Six Nations.

    Bath prop Beno Obano is the third uncapped player to be named by Eddie Jones in the 28-man squad.

    Courtney Lawes returns from injury, while Mako Vunipola, who last played in the Autumn Nations Cup final win over France, will join the squad for rehabilitation but be unavailable for selection.

    Wasps flanker Jack Willis and Bath's Jonathan Joseph only make the 12-man shadow squad, while Kyle Sinckler, who is banned for the opening game against Scotland on February 6, is not in either group.

    Owen Farrell will retain his position as captain.

    The squad will meet up at St. George's Park on January 27, with coach Jones, who is isolating after assistant Matt Proudfoot tested positive for coronavirus, set to arrive a day later.

    "This has been a really tough squad to pick and I know there are a lot of disappointed players who haven't been selected," said Jones.

    "We're really excited by the players we have got, it's a very vibrant squad and are looking forward to getting started next week.

    "We're very grateful to the Premiership Rugby, the clubs and RPA [Rugby Players Association] for allowing us to have 28 players throughout the tournament, we're very happy with the number and it's testament to the growing relationships between all parties.

    "Ultimately our goal is to win the Six Nations and to do that we'll need to work hard and prepare well each day and take it as it comes."

    England squad:

    Forwards: Luke Cowan-Dickie, Tom Curry, Ben Earl, Ellis Genge, Jamie George, Jonny Hill, Maro Itoje, Joe Launchbury, Courtney Lawes, Joe Marler, Beno Obano, Will Stuart, Sam Underhill, Billy Vunipola, Harry Williams, Mark Wilson.

    Backs: Elliot Daly, Owen Farrell, George Ford, Ollie Lawrence, Max Malins, Jonny May, Paolo Odogwu, Harry Randall, Dan Robson, Henry Slade, Anthony Watson, Ben Youngs.

    Shadow squad: Charlie Atkinson, Ali Crossdale, Tom Dunn, Charlie Ewels, George Furbank, Joe Heyes, Jonathan Joseph, Joe Marchant, George Martin, Alex Mitchell, Jacob Umaga, Jack Willis.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.