NHL

Peters resigns as Flames coach after racism allegation

By Sports Desk November 29, 2019

Bill Peters has resigned as the Calgary Flames coach following an accusation he racially abused one of his former players a decade ago.

Earlier this week Nigerian-born Akim Aliu, who previously played for the Flames in the NHL, claimed Peters "dropped the N bomb several times towards me" when he was a minor league player "because he didn't like my choice of music".

The NHL released a statement calling the alleged comments "repugnant and unacceptable" and the Flames launched an investigation.

On Wednesday, TSN published a letter from Peters to Flames general manager Brad Treliving in which the coach apologised for "offensive language I used in a professional setting a decade ago".

In the letter, he also wrote: "Although it was an isolated and immediately regrettable incident, I take responsibility for what I said. The statement was made in a moment of frustration and does not reflect my personal values."

Aliu later called that letter "misleading, insincere and concerning".

Treliving conducted a press conference on Friday in which he revealed Peters, Calgary's coach since April 2018, had vacated his post.

"This morning I received a letter of resignation from Bill Peters, which I accepted," Treliving said.

"Effective immediately, Bill Peters is no longer a member of the Calgary Flames organisation."

Related items

  • Wild retain Evason as full-time head coach Wild retain Evason as full-time head coach

    The Minnesota Wild made Dean Evason their full-time head coach, removing the interim tag from his title and giving him a two-year contract extension.

    Wild general manager Bill Guerin announced the news on Monday in a statement.  

    Evason was named interim coach on February 14 after the club fired Bruce Boudreau. Evason led the Wild to an 8-4-0 record before the NHL season was paused due to the coronavirus pandemic.  

    "Dean has done a fantastic job as our interim head coach and deserves this opportunity," Guerin said. "I look forward to watching our team under his leadership going forward."

    The Wild are scheduled to begin their best-of-five series against the Vancouver Canucks on August 2, in Edmonton, Alberta, with the winner qualifying for the standard 16-team Stanley Cup playoffs bracket.  

    Evason joined the club as an assistant coach before the 2018-19 season after spending the previous six seasons as a head coach in the American Hockey League. Before that, he was a long-time assistant with the Washington Capitals.  

    Evason skated in 803 career NHL games as a forward from 1983-96, playing for five franchises but spending his most productive years with the Hartford Whalers.  

    He reached career highs with 22 goals and 37 assists with Hartford in 1986-87 and finished his career with 139 goals and 233 assists.  

  • Coronavirus: Canadiens, Domi agree to hold off on training camp decision Coronavirus: Canadiens, Domi agree to hold off on training camp decision

    The Montreal Canadiens have agreed with star forward Max Domi to wait between seven and 10 days before deciding if he will join the team for training camp amid the coronavirus pandemic. 

    Domi has Type 1 diabetes and faces a higher chance of experiencing serious complications from COVID-19, according to the American Diabetes Association. 

    The NHL is set to return on August 1 with a 24-team playoff format following the coronavirus-enforced break and the Canadiens are taking a cautious to Domi's health.

    "Considering Max's health condition, both parties have agreed to take this responsible approach and to take this time to evaluate the ongoing situation, in order to make the best decision for Max's health at the end of this period," the Canadiens said in a statement on Sunday. 

    Domi is in his second season with Montreal and ranked third for the Canadiens with 44 points (17 goals, 27 assists) during the regular season.

    He played in all 71 games for the Canadiens before the NHL shut down on March 12 due to the coronavirus crisis. 

    Montreal will open against the Pittsburgh Penguins in a best-of-five qualifying round play-in series in the Eastern Conference hub city of Toronto. 

    The winners of the eight qualifying round series will move on to the first round of the playoffs. 

  • Police arrest 12-year-old boy over racist abuse of Crystal Palace star Zaha Police arrest 12-year-old boy over racist abuse of Crystal Palace star Zaha

    West Midlands Police have arrested a 12-year-old boy after Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha shared racist messages he was sent ahead of Sunday's game against Aston Villa. 

    Zaha posted on Twitter ahead of the Premier League fixture to show screenshots he received from an Instagram account bearing the handle @jackdolan_avfc. 

    The first image showed a message that read: "You better not score tomorrow you black c***. Or I'll come to your house dressed as a ghost." 

    Further abusive messages featured a mocked-up image of a man in blackface on a cereal box, alongside a vile racial slur, and a picture of a Ku Klux Klan rally. 

    Zaha presented the images with the caption: "Woke up to this today." 

    A statement tweeted by West Midlands Police following Palace's 2-0 loss at Villa Park read: "We were alerted to a series of racist messages sent to a footballer today and after looking into them and conducting checks, we have arrested a boy. 

    "The 12-year-old from Solihull has been taken into custody. Thanks to everyone who raised it. Racism won't be tolerated." 

    Since the Premier League returned from its suspension amid the coronavirus pandemic, teams have worn 'Black Lives Matter' logos on their kits, with players taking a knee before kick-off in each match to show solidarity with the movement.

    In a short statement on their official Twitter account, Palace said: "This is an absolute disgrace and should not be happening.

    "We stand with you, Wilf, and anyone else who has to suffer such horrific abuse."

    Villa issued their own response, stating they intended to issue a lifetime ban when the perpetrator was identified.

    They tweeted: "We deplore the disgusting racist messages sent to @wilfriedzaha. We condemn all forms of racial discrimination and stand with @CPFC.

    "We are working with the police in investigating this extremely serious matter and when the culprit is identified AVFC will issue a lifetime ban."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.