Maple Leafs sack Mike Babcock amid struggles

By Sports Desk November 20, 2019

The Toronto Maple Leafs sacked head coach Mike Babcock, the NHL franchise announced on Wednesday.

Toronto axed Babcock with the Maple Leafs struggling for form this season, and promoted Toronto Marlies coach Sheldon Keefe.

The Maple Leafs (9-10-4) decided to make a change amid a six-game winless streak following Tuesday's 4-2 loss to the Vegas Golden Knights.

"Over parts of the last five seasons, Mike has played an integral role in changing the direction of our franchise," Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan said in a statement.

"Mike's commitment and tireless work ethic has put our organisation in a better place and we are extremely grateful and appreciative of the foundation he has helped us build here.

"At this time, we collectively felt that it was best to make a change to Sheldon Keefe. Sheldon's record with the Marlies in terms of development and on-ice success during his time in our organisation has compelled us all to feel that he is the right person to take us to the next stage in our evolution."

Babcock arrived in Toronto amid much hype in 2015, having led the Detroit Red Wings to Stanley Cup glory seven years earlier.

However, Babcock – who reportedly became the highest-paid coach in NHL history at the time of his arrival – was unable to deliver success.

The Maple Leafs made three consecutive playoff appearances heading into 2019-20, however, Toronto never advanced past the first round.

"I'm disappointed," Babcock said in a statement to TSN. "We didn't have the start to the year we wanted and that's on me. I want to thank the fans. I want to thank the media. I want to thank the city.

"It was spectacular. I loved every second of it. And I wish the new group nothing but success. Morgan Rielly has been here the whole time. I can't thank him enough. And all the players I got an opportunity to coach, it's been fantastic and I wish them nothing but success."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Knicks owner Dolan tests positive for COVID-19 Coronavirus: Knicks owner Dolan tests positive for COVID-19

    New York Knicks owner James Dolan has tested positive for coronavirus, the NBA team announced on Saturday.

    Dolan, the 64-year-old who also owners the New York Rangers, is "experiencing little to no symptoms".

    In a statement, the Knicks said: "The Madison Square Garden Company executive chairman and chief executive officer Jim Dolan has tested positive for coronavirus.

    "He has been in self-isolation and is experiencing little to no symptoms.

    "He continues to oversee business operations."

    There have been more than 660,000 coronavirus cases worldwide, including over 30,800 deaths.

    It has brought sport to a standstill, with the NBA and NHL seasons suspended earlier this month.

  • Coronavirus: Second Avalanche player, two commentators test positive for COVID-19 Coronavirus: Second Avalanche player, two commentators test positive for COVID-19

    A second Colorado Avalanche player has tested positive for COVID-19, marking the fourth known positive test among NHL players.

    The player, like the three previous cases, remains unidentified. They are in self-isolation, and all those who recently had close contact with him have been notified.

    A first Colorado player who tested positive remained isolated for 14 days and made a full recovery before the team announced his illness earlier this week – the team have confirmed no other players or personnel have shown any symptoms so far.

    The NHL, under the advisement of medical personnel, has discouraged mass testing of players who have not shown symptoms.

    It was also revealed by the league on Friday that two team announcers also tested positive for COVID-19: the Ottawa Senators' Gord Wilson and the St. Louis Blues’ John Kelly.

    Two members of the Senators were the first NHL players to test positive for the virus, with the team having played a three-game road trip in San Jose, Los Angeles and Anaheim before the league suspended play on March 12.

    Wilson was on the team flight back from California and has been in isolation since March 18 but just received his positive test on Friday.

    Kelly has been quarantined for 14 since his positive test but is now "feeling strong and symptom-free," according to a team release.

    Players and other employees are to stay away from team facilities at least until April 7.

  • Ducks announce Trevor Zegras among trio of entry-level signings Ducks announce Trevor Zegras among trio of entry-level signings

    The Anaheim Ducks have signed three prospects to entry-level contracts, including their top-10 pick from the 2019 draft. 

    Center Trevor Zegras and defenseman Hunter Drew received three-year deals, while winger Jack Badini signed a two-year contract with the team. 

    Zegras, 19, recently completed his sophomore season at Boston University, tallying 11 goals and 25 assists in 33 games. In 2019-20, the six-foot, 170-pound forward was named to the Hockey East Conference All-Rookie Team and was third on the Terriers in points. 

    A native of Bedford, New York, Zegras was the Ducks' first-round selection – ninth overall – in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft. 

    "He's got quite a bit of work ahead of him," Anaheim's executive vice president and general manager Bob Murray said in a team statement. 

    "We know he's got the talent and intelligence to be an impactful NHL player."

    The Ducks also signed Badini, a third-round draft choice in 2017, and Drew, who was picked in the sixth round in 2018. 

    Badini, 22, recently completed his junior season with Harvard, totaling six goals and eight assists in 31 games with the Crimson. 

    Drew had two goals and five assists in 29 games with the American Hockey League's San Diego Gulls. 

    The Ducks currently sit in sixth place in the Pacific Division with 67 points, 11 out of a wild-card spot in the Western Conference, with the season suspended indefinitely due to the coronavirus pandemic. 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.