Rennie named new Wallabies head coach

By Sports Desk November 19, 2019

Dave Rennie will become the Wallabies' new head coach, Rugby Australia have confirmed, though he will not start in the role until July 2020.

Rennie, who will complete his commitments with Glasgow Warriors before taking charge next year, has signed a deal running through to the 2023 Rugby World Cup.

The 55-year-old New Zealander won back-to-back Super Rugby titles with the Chiefs before heading to Europe to continue his coaching career, having previously had a spell in charge of the All Blacks' Under-20 team.

His appointment ends the search to find a replacement for Michael Cheika, whose tenure came to an end with Australia's quarter-final defeat to England at this year's World Cup in Japan.

Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle confirmed Rennie was their preferred candidate, while also announcing director of rugby Scott Johnson will take charge of the national team in the short term.

"This is a massive coup for Australian rugby. Dave Rennie was the clear standout candidate for the job, and we're thrilled to have secured his services," Castle said in a statement.

"Dave's coaching philosophy focuses equally on football and team culture, the key pillars to building sustainable success in any team. He has a proven track record in the Northern and Southern Hemisphere.

"Given incumbent head coach Michael Cheika had indicated in early 2019 the possibility that he would not seek re-appointment for the role, we needed to identify a list of candidates that would be available to us, and suitable to work within our new high performance framework. This search has been ongoing for the past six months.

"When Michael then confirmed he would not seek re-appointment following our Rugby World Cup exit, we moved to appoint our preferred candidate."

Related items

  • O'Connor ends Reds' Waratahs wait in Super Rugby AU opener O'Connor ends Reds' Waratahs wait in Super Rugby AU opener

    James O'Connor's late double with his boot gave the Reds a long-awaited win over rivals the Waratahs in the Super Rugby AU opener.

    The Australia-based competition has replaced the usual Super Rugby tournament due to the coronavirus pandemic, kicking off on Friday.

    The curtain-raiser certainly delivered as the Reds ended a seven-year, 11-match win drought against the Waratahs.

    The two teams were neck and neck for much of the contest at Suncorp Stadium, with Will Harrison's kicking keeping New South Wales in touch as the Reds scored three first-half tries.

    Liam Wright touched down early on, before Harry Johnson-Holmes responded for the Waratahs.

    Filipo Daugunu burst through for Queensland and then it was the influential Tate McDermott's turn to score, while Angus Bell was sent to the sin bin for repeated scrum infringements.

    The Reds were less impressive after the interval and Jack Maddocks crossed for a brilliant try to give the Waratahs the lead for the first time.

    But Harry Wilson soon went through and, although Taniela Tupou was shown a yellow card for a late tackle, O'Connor kept his nerve with two penalties in the closing stages to settle the clash.

  • All Blacks star Barrett's move to Japan confirmed All Blacks star Barrett's move to Japan confirmed

    All Blacks star Beauden Barrett has signed with Japanese side Suntory Sungoliath and will miss next year's Super Rugby season.

    Barrett, 29, signed a four-year deal with New Zealand Rugby (NZR) and the Blues in 2019, but will head to Japan in 2021 before returning for the international season.

    The star playmaker will play under Kiwi coach Milton Haig, while England head coach Eddie Jones is a consultant for Suntory Sungoliath.

    "For me it made sense to go next year and then have two years back with the Blues and hopefully the All Blacks in the lead up to the Rugby World Cup," Barrett said.

    "My wife and I are excited to head to Japan next year. It is an appealing place for a young family and comparatively safe in health terms.

    "The Investec Super Rugby Aotearoa competition has been an amazing experience. It's been brutal and demanding which is what you expect when New Zealand teams play each other.

    "I'm loving every minute of it and having such big crowds turning out has been fantastic. I am loving the move to the Blues and we still have a job to do this season. It is an excellent environment with great coaching and an awesome bunch of dedicated players.

    "While the excitement about heading to Japan will build closer to the time, I'll also be looking forward to being back later in 2021 and then into the 2022 Blues season."

    All Blacks Brodie Retallick and Sam Whitelock have had similar agreements to play in Japan this year.

    Blues head coach Leon MacDonald said he was planning for next year without Barrett.

    "Our focus is fully on the current campaign but we have plans for next year without Beaudy," he said.

    "He will be a big loss but that is countered with what he is doing on and off the field this year, and that we get him for two more years.

    "We have Otere Black playing terrific rugby, and Harry Plummer who has been coming off the bench, while we will have Stephen Perofeta back next season from injury."

  • Former Springboks hooker Chiliboy Ralepelle given eight-year doping ban Former Springboks hooker Chiliboy Ralepelle given eight-year doping ban

    Former South Africa hooker Chiliboy Ralepelle has been given an eight-year ban after testing positive for a banned substance. 

    The 33-year-old tested positive for the anabolic agent Zeranol in an out-of-competition sample taken in January 2019. 

    Ralepelle, who also failed tests in 2010 and 2014 - the first was ruled a 'no-fault' case and he received a reprimand, challenged the latest charge, but the South African Institute for Drug-Free Sport (SAIDS) has banned the player until 2027. 

    The ex-Sharks, Bulls and Toulouse forward, who won 25 caps for the Springboks, has three weeks to lodge an appeal.  

    A statement from SAIDS sent to Stats Perform News read: "The Independent Doping Tribunal Panel handed down its decision in two parts this week on the doping charge against former Springbok and Sharks rugby player, Mahlatse 'Chiliboy' Ralepelle.  

    "The player tested positive for the banned anabolic agent Zeranol during an out-of-competition test on January 17, 2019. 

    "The athlete challenged the doping charge and was afforded the opportunity to seek legal counsel to present his case and version of events to the tribunal panel. The hearings were adjourned multiple times and were held over a period of six months. The panel reached a decision first on the merits of the case where they found the player guilty of a doping offence. 

    "Ralepelle had previously tested positive on two separate occasions while playing overseas. The Zeranol positive case was his third positive dope test during his playing career within a 10-year period, however the player's first positive case was ruled a 'No Fault' decision and he then received a reprimand. 

    "The panel had to refer to sports jurisprudence to determine the appropriate sanction which they ruled to be the player's second doping offence. 

    "The Independent Doping Tribunal Panel ruled that Mr Ralepelle must serve an eight-year ban for doping. The ban will expire on January 27, 2027. The player has 21 days within which to file an appeal against the sanction."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.