Rugby World Cup 2019: Japan v South Africa

By Sports Desk October 18, 2019

Michael Leitch declared "the end is not here" as Japan plot another sensational defeat of South Africa in their first Rugby World Cup quarter-final on Sunday.

The hosts reached the last eight for the first time with a 28-21 victory over Scotland in a decisive match in Yokohama last weekend.

Japan avoided New Zealand by topping Pool A but face a huge test against the Springboks at Tokyo Stadium.

The Brave Blossoms pulled off one of the great sporting upsets by beating the two-time champions in Brighton at the last World Cup four years ago and captain Leitch says history can repeat itself.

"We're not satisfied; the end is not here," the number eight said.

"We'll play in the last eight and have another chance to show our game to our people. Each of us are playing to have more of that opportunity.

"South Africa looked really scary at the start of the week, but we begin to feel really excited as we understand the game and think about how to break them down. That fear gradually fades and confidence rises."

Japan were thrashed 41-7 by the Rugby Championship holders in a pre-tournament Test last month and Springboks captain Siya Kolisi says that served as a small measure of revenge. 

"That was very tough to lose that match in England. That stuck with us until that game when we got here [before this World Cup]," the flanker said. "It's something that we never want to go through again."

He added: "They are a much better team now, and it was good to play that game before the World Cup, just to get that monkey off our back.

"Now it's a different game again. We are going to have to be at our best again, because they have really improved as a team - they are much better now than four years ago. So we are looking forward to the challenge."

 

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Japan – Michael Leitch

The inspirational Leitch and his opposite number Kolisi are set for another monumental battle, while also keeping calm heads and ensuring their sides stay disciplined with so much at stake. 

Leitch will need to lead by example again after an inspired display against Scotland.

South Africa - Cheslin Kolbe

Kolbe missed the Springboks' final pool match against Canada as a precautionary measure after taking a blow to his ankle in the victory over Italy.

The livewire wing claimed a clinical double in the 49-3 drubbing of the Azzurri and also touched down twice in the warm-up rout of Japan, so the hosts must be wary of the threat he poses.

 

KEY OPTA FACTS

- Japan's victory over South Africa in England was their first against a tier one nation in the tournament at their 16th attempt.
- South Africa scored more tries (27) and points (185) than any other side in the pool stage. Japan scored have scored only 13 tries en route to the last eight. 
- Japan made 559 metres against Scotland, the third time in the tournament they had made 500 plus metres in a match.
- Springboks wing Kolbe averaged 12.8 metres per carry in the pool stage, the best rate of any player to make at least 10 carries.
- South Africa won all of their 47 line-outs on their own throw in the pool stage, the only side in the tournament to have a 100 per cent success rate.

Related items

  • England prop Marler signs new Quins deal England prop Marler signs new Quins deal

    England prop Joe Marler has signed a new long-term contract with Premiership club Harlequins.

    The 29-year-old has made over 200 appearances for Quins since making his debut in 2009 and there should be many more to come.

    One-club man Marler has earned 71 England caps and toured New Zealand with the British and Irish Lions three years ago after making his presence felt at The Stoop before he was a teenager.

    Marler said: "I am a Harlequin, and I love the club. Growing up with Harlequins as my boyhood team.

    "I remember getting thrown out of The Stoop as a fan when I was 12 because I had tried to run on the pitch. Now I get the chance to continue my journey with great friends, team-mates, coaches, and fans, without getting thrown out... yet!

    "I'm immensely proud to have played for Quins over 200 times so far, I even managed to convince one of the previous bosses [Conor O'Shea] to make me captain once. 

    "Even more so during this [coronavirus] pandemic affecting every single one of us, I cannot wait for my next opportunity to pull on the jersey, run out at The Stoop and welcome back the Quins family."

    News of Marler's new deal on Friday came after it was announced that the Premiership Rugby are planning for the season to resume on August 15, five months after it was suspended due to the COVID-19 crisis.

    Marler was banned for 10 weeks for grabbing Alun Wyn Jones' genitals during England's Six Nations win over Wales in March, but that suspension has now been wiped as a result of the hiatus.

  • Coronavirus: New Australia coach Rennie to take 30 per cent pay cut Coronavirus: New Australia coach Rennie to take 30 per cent pay cut

    New Australia coach Dave Rennie has volunteered to take a 30 per cent pay cut ahead of starting his job with the Wallabies next month.

    Rugby Australia (RA) reported a provisional deficit of 9.4 million Australian dollars for 2019 back in March, and the impact of the coronavirus has further impacted their finances.

    All July internationals have already been scrapped because of the ongoing pandemic and both Australia players and RA staff members have had to take significant pay cuts while the sport is on hold.

    Rennie has now followed suit with a pay cut that will last until the end of September, in line with the rest of RA's executive team.

    The 56-year-old's appointment as Australia's new coach was confirmed back in November 2019 shortly after the Rugby World Cup concluded.

    It is hoped he could be in charge for the first time in October, when international fixtures are set to return.

  • Coronavirus: Premiership aiming to restart on August 15 Coronavirus: Premiership aiming to restart on August 15

    The 2019-20 Premiership season is set to return on August 15, five months after it was suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic.

    Earlier this week Premiership and Championship clubs were given permission to return to non-contact training, provided they observe social distancing measures.

    While no further information was given regarding the format for the remainder of the campaign, Premiership Rugby chief executive Darren Childs stressed it was vital that clubs had a target return date to work towards.

    "Nothing will happen until it is safe to do so but we will do everything we can to resume the 2019-20 Premiership Rugby campaign on Saturday 15 August," Childs said.

    “We won't take risks with people's health, and rugby has unique challenges due to levels of proximity and impact, but with a number of clubs moving to Stage 1, it is important for us to give players, coaches and clubs clarity on when they can look to return.

    "Bearing that in mind, we look forward to the restart of the season."

    Each of the 12 Premiership clubs had played 13 fixtures prior to the campaign being halted, meaning they all had nine matches remaining.

    Exeter Chiefs were top of the table, five points clear of Sale Sharks, while Saracens were bottom of the table and have already been relegated following a points deduction due to salary cap breaches.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.