Rugby World Cup 2019: Watson knee injury adds to Scotland woes

By Sports Desk September 22, 2019

Hamish Watson's involvement at the Rugby World Cup might already be over after he suffered a knee injury in Scotland's 27-3 loss to Ireland.

The flanker was left in pain following a collision with Cian Healy in the first half in Yokohama and faces a nervous wait to discover the results of a scan.

Magnus Bradbury is set to be called into the squad if Edinburgh team-mate Watson is ruled out of the tournament, having travelled to Japan as cover for Jamie Ritchie.

Scotland coach Gregor Townsend admitted the signs are not encouraging for the 27-year-old, who had made an impressive 14 tackles before going down.

"Hamish is our only injury concern," Townsend said at his post-match news conference.

"He had a knee injury that we will hopefully be getting more information on tonight with a scan.

"It doesn't look good when a player is stretchered off the field, so hopefully we'll know more later tonight.

"It would be bad luck for any player if he misses the World Cup. We had Sam Skinner miss out on selection ahead of the World Cup. But we have always presumed that there will be people who will miss the World Cup after each game that we play.

"Let's hope that's not the case with Hamish."

Townsend confirmed fellow flanker Ritchie, 23, would be fit for the country's second Pool A game against Samoa.

Scotland will need all the good news they can get after giving up four tries - including two in the opening 15 minutes - against a far superior Ireland.

Townsend said: "It's disappointing. We didn't start with the energy, accuracy and aggression that is required to beat a team like Ireland. They took their chances well when they got into our 22.

"If you give any team in world rugby a 15 to 20-point start it is going to be very difficult to come back.

"We must play much better in our next three games if we are going to get out of our pool and progress into the quarter-finals and I believe we will be."

Related items

  • International Olympic Committee supports four-year Russia ban International Olympic Committee supports four-year Russia ban

    The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has reiterated its support for Russia's four-year ban from major international sporting events imposed by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).

    WADA declared the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) non-compliant again at a meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland, on Monday over inconsistencies in anti-doping data discovered during an investigation.

    Athletes will not be able to compete under the Russian flag at the 2020 Olympics or the 2022 Winter Games, while Russia's place at the World Cup in Qatar is also in jeopardy.

    The IOC had supported the recommended sanction last month and retained its stance following the announcement.

    "The representatives of the Olympic Movement today [Monday] supported this unanimous decision in the WADA Executive Committee, which is in line with the statement made by the IOC Executive Board [on November 26] and endorsed by the Olympic Summit," a statement released to Omnisport read.

    The IOC said in November it would "support the toughest sanctions against all those responsible for this manipulation".

    It added: "With regard to the sanctions following this manipulation, we will still have to evaluate these in detail.

    "The IOC emphasises that any sanctions should follow the rules of natural justice and respect human rights.

    "Therefore, the IOC stresses that the guilty should be punished in the toughest way possible because of the seriousness of this infringement and thus welcomes the sanctions for the Russian authorities responsible."

    WADA's statement on Monday said: "The WADA Executive Committee has responded in the strongest possible terms, while protecting the rights of Russian athletes that can prove that they were not involved and did not benefit from these fraudulent acts."

  • Baxter relieved Exeter survived 'longest 10 minutes' Baxter relieved Exeter survived 'longest 10 minutes'

    Rob Baxter admitted the closing stages of Exeter Chiefs' 22-20 European Champions Cup win over Sale Sharks were agony for him.

    The Chiefs made it three wins on the bounce in Pool 2 to edge towards the quarter-finals but the visitors had to absorb late pressure at the AJ Bell Stadium on Sunday.

    Jono Ross' score for the Sharks set up a tense finale and director of rugby Baxter was left in considerable anguish on the touchline.

    "The last 10 minutes were the longest 10 minutes of my life," he said after his side failed to score in the second half. 

    "Sale kept coming and we couldn't relieve any pressure. I thought we tried to close the game out a little bit early and nearly paid the price.

    "We had to show some fighting qualities to see them off."

    Opposite number Steve Diamond, whose side remain in the hunt for a spot in the next round, paid tribute to his team's effort.

    "The lads played really well," he said. "We changed things up in the week with our attack and I think that went well.

    "I thought our forwards matched them today and probably edged them towards the end."

  • Chiefs triumph again as Gloucester revive Champions Cup hopes Chiefs triumph again as Gloucester revive Champions Cup hopes

    Exeter Chiefs made it three wins from as many European Champions Cup Pool 2 games with a 22-20 victory over fellow Premiership side Sale Sharks.

    The action was concentrated in an entertaining first half at the AJ Bell Stadium, where Stuart Hogg was pivotal in a penalty try and touched down for another five points.

    Sale responded through Akker van der Merwe's two tries, but Luke Cowan-Dickie crossed to ensure Rob Baxter's men were ahead at the interval.

    The second half was scoreless until Jono Ross' late try gave Sale hope, but Exeter saw out the victory to move to the brink of securing a quarter-final spot.

    Gloucester revived their hopes of reaching the knockout stage with a first win in three attempts in Pool 5.

    After back-to-back defeats, in which they had the consolation of taking losing bonus points, the Premiership side defeated Connacht 26-17 and gained a try-scoring bonus point.

    Having trailed at the break, the hosts roared back to triumph at Kingsholm Stadium, with Tom Marshall touching down in each half, while Louis Rees-Zammit and Jake Polledri also got in on the act.

    Connacht were hamstrung by Kyle Godwin's dismissal as they were left at the foot of the table.

    In the same group, Toulouse continued their 100 per cent record with a dominant 23-9 victory over Montpellier.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.