Former Wallabies captain Horwill to retire

By Sports Desk April 15, 2019

Former Australia captain James Horwill has announced he will retire from rugby union at the end of the season.

The Harlequins lock, who skippered the Wallabies at the 2011 Rugby World Cup, is to bring an end to a distinguished career that also saw him star for the Reds in Super Rugby.

Horwill earned 62 caps for his country and led the Reds to the 2011 Super Rugby title. He joined Harlequins in 2015.

The 33-year-old does not believe he is still cut out for Premiership rugby and announced his decision on Monday.

"I have given this great game everything I have," he said in a club statement. "I feel I can no longer give what is needed to play at this elite level.

"Rugby has been a big part of my life for many years; never in my wildest dreams would I have envisaged the incredible journey it has taken me on."

He added: "Winning the Super Rugby title at the Queensland Reds and being asked to captain my country are just some of the moments I will look back and cherish for a lifetime."

Harlequins head of rugby Paul Gustard said: "James is a true warrior of our great game; the ultimate professional and someone you always want on your side.

"It's been an honour and a pleasure to work alongside him at Harlequins. His resilience and character have made him the role model he is today and will continue to be long after his retirement."

Related items

  • Folau's Rugby Australia hearing set for May 4 Folau's Rugby Australia hearing set for May 4

    Israel Folau's code of conduct hearing with Rugby Australia (RA) has been set for May 4. 

    Wallabies and Waratahs back Folau is contesting the breach notice issued to him last week in the aftermath of an anti-homosexual social media post. 

    The hearing to determine whether RA's intent to terminate Folau's contract will be upheld is to be overseen by a tribunal at the Rugby AU offices in Sydney. 

    A reserve day of May 5 is expected to be used due to the "complex and unprecedented" nature of the matter. 

    Folau was warned over his conduct by RA last year after stating homosexuals would go to "hell" unless they "repent their sins and turn to God". 

    The 30-year-old again put forward his interpretation of his devout Christianity this month after the Tasmanian Parliament passed legislation to make gender optional on birth certificates and allow people aged 16 and older to legally change gender without parental consent. 

    On Instagram, Folau posted an image stating: "Warning: Drunks, Homosexuals, Adulterers, Liars, Fornicators, Thieves, Atheists, Idolaters – Hell awaits you. Repent. Only Jesus Saves." 

    He added: "Those that are living in Sin will end up in Hell unless you repent. Jesus Christ loves you and is giving you time to turn away from your sin and come to him." 

    Addressing the Tasmanian legislation specifically, Folau retweeted a news article and said: "The devil has blinded so many people in this world, REPENT and turn away from your evil ways. Turn to Jesus Christ who will set you free." 

    Last Monday, Wallabies head coach Michael Cheika all but ruled Folau out of his Rugby World Cup plans. 

    Waratahs' fly-half Bernard Foley says he is "conflicted" about the situation. 

    "He has hurt the team, which is not why we play sport. We are a team and we encourage diversity and everything," Foley said. 

    "I also don't think Izzy is a bad guy. So, there is a lot of conflict there. But I don't agree with what he's done. It's a tough situation."

  • Munster condemn pitch invader who confronted Vunipola Munster condemn pitch invader who confronted Vunipola

    Munster have condemned the fan who confronted England international Billy Vunipola on the pitch after Saracens' European Champions Cup semi-final victory on Saturday.

    Vunipola – who was given a formal warning by the RFU earlier this week having offered a defence of Israel Folau's latest controversial social media post in which he shared an image that said "hell awaits" homosexuals – was approached by a supporter wearing a Munster jersey following Sarries' 32-16 triumph.

    The fan was swiftly led away by stewards but Vunipola, who was booed throughout the contest, claimed the incident was "quite scary" in an interview with the BBC.

    On Sunday, Munster issued a statement which read: "Munster Rugby do not condone the entry of any spectator to the field of play.

    "The province wishes to confirm yesterday's identified spectator is not a member of the MRSC [Munster Rugby Supporters' Club] and does not hold a season ticket with the province. The incident will be investigated further."

  • Ringrose: 'Incredible' Saracens awaiting Leinster in final Ringrose: 'Incredible' Saracens awaiting Leinster in final

    Garry Ringrose warned defending champions Leinster that Saracens' recent European Champions Cup pedigree will imbue them with confidence when the two clubs meet in the final.

    Leinster remain on course to emulate Sarries' back-to-back titles in 2016 and 2017 after easing to a 30-12 semi-final victory over Toulouse at the Aviva Stadium on Sunday.

    James Lowe, Luke McGrath and Scott Fardy crossed for the Pro14 side, with the returning Johnny Sexton converting all three tries and slotting over another two penalties.

    Leinster will become the most successful team in Champions Cup history if they win in Newcastle next month, yet Ringrose witnessed Saracens' 32-16 semi-final triumph over Munster on Saturday and feels they will be buoyant about their chances.

    "Big games like that, they fall on such fine margins – I think the score probably flatters us a little bit, with how tough that was and how hard we had to work for that," he told BT Sport.

    "We'll have to try and do that once more against an incredible Saracens side. Seeing them yesterday, I've no doubt they're backing themselves to get back on top of Europe so that's our next challenge.

    "Saracens have done it before, won back-to-back [Champions Cups] so they have that experience, an unbelievably strong squad.

    "A couple of [Leinster's] guys have been there and we'll have to tap into their experience."

    Sexton's presence in the XV was key for Leinster. The Ireland international had not played since his country's final Six Nations game against Wales on March 16 and, though he was replaced with 14 minutes to go on Sunday, he allayed fears over a recurrence of a thigh problem.

    "All precaution – it's just good to get it sorted," he added. "I'm just looking after it and I'll be ready to go in a couple of weeks.

    "I've had a few weeks off, my lungs were bursting at times during the week – felt like I was cramming for a big exam, I haven't done too much over the last few weeks with quad and groin issues that I was carrying for a while.

    "It was good to get to the bottom of it and make the body feel good. We're proud to get to another final but we know we're going to be up against it against the other best team in the competition."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.