Champions Cup-winning coach Cullen extends Leinster contract

By Sports Desk March 14, 2019

Leo Cullen has signed a contract extension to remain as Leinster's head coach through to the end of the 2020-21 season.

The former Ireland international took charge of Leinster at the start of the 2015-16 season and last year guided them to a fourth European Champions Cup triumph, having featured in the first three as a player.

With a new deal for Cullen agreed with Irish Rugby, Leinster chief Mick Dawson outlined why the province were so keen to keep him.

"Leo's skills as a player and as a captain have been well celebrated over the years and rightly so," Dawson told Leinster's official website.

"Over the last four seasons, he has continued to build on that legacy and has added considerable coaching credentials to his list of achievements.

"Not only did Leo oversee the great double success of last season, he also oversaw the rebuilding of the playing squad after a number of high-profile retirements and the recruitment of the new coaching team."

Senior coach Stuart Lancaster, formerly England's head coach, has also renewed his contract.

Related items

  • Springboks name strong squad for All Blacks and Pumas clashes Springboks name strong squad for All Blacks and Pumas clashes

    South Africa have named a strong 36-man touring squad for the Rugby Championship matches against New Zealand and Argentina after fielding an under-strength side for the win over Australia.

    The Springboks beat the Wallabies 35-17 on Saturday despite Rassie Erasmus leaving out a string of key men at Ellis Park.

    Director of rugby Erasmus' decision to make changes did not backfire, as scrum-half Herschel Jantjies scored two tries in an impressive debut.

    Erasmus flew out to New Zealand soon after the victory along with his coaching staff and eight players - including the likes of Eben Etzebeth, Jesse Kriel, Pieter-Steph du Toit.

    Fourteen Springboks had already departed two days before the win over Australia to gear up for a showdown with New Zealand in Wellington on Saturday.

    Francois Louw, Marcell Coetzee, Tendai Mtawarira and Schalk Brits are among another 10 who will board the plane on Sunday.

    South Africa take on Argentina in Salta on August 10 after doing battle with the world champions.

     

    South Africa squad:

    Forwards: Schalk Brits, Marcell Coetzee, Lood de Jager, Thomas du Toit, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Rynhardt Elstadt, Eben Etzebeth, Lizo Gqoboka, Steven Kitshoff, Vincent Koch, Francois Louw, Frans Malherbe, Malcolm Marx, Bongi Mbonambi, Tendai Mtawarira, Franco Mostert, Trevor Nyakane, Marvin Orie, Kwagga Smith, RG Snyman, Duane Vermeulen.

    Backs: Lukhanyo Am, Damian de Allende, Faf de Klerk, Andre Esterhuizen, Warrick Gelant, Elton Jantjies, Herschel Jantjies, Cheslin Kolbe, Jesse Kriel, Makazole Mapimpi, Sbu Nkosi, Willie le Roux, Handre Pollard, Cobus Reinach, Frans Steyn.

     

     

  • Gamble pays off for Hansen as New Zealand get 'money in the bank' Gamble pays off for Hansen as New Zealand get 'money in the bank'

    Steve Hansen said New Zealand's hard-fought Rugby Championship win over Argentina gives them "a little bit more money in the bank" having triumphed without so many key men.

    Captain Kieran Read, Sam Whitelock, Owen Franks, Joe Moody and Codie Taylor were among the All Blacks to be rested for their opening game of the tournament on Saturday.

    The understrength world champions had to dig deep to edge a 20-16 victory over the Pumas, secured courtesy of tries from Ngani Laumape and Brodie Retallick, along with 10 points from the boot of Beauden Barrett.

    Head coach Hansen was relieved that his selection gamble paid off ahead of a showdown with South Africa in Wellington next Saturday.

    "If you look at the Crusaders not being here [in Buenos Aires] It's a minimum of probably 400 Test caps, but we knew that," Hansen said.

    "That's why we talked earlier in the week about risk and reward."

    Hansen added: "At times we were rusty, but we did a lot of good things.

    "One of the greatest things we did was at the end with all the young fellows on we showed a lot of mental fortitude. So really pleased with that.

    "To get away with the win is a little bit more money in the bank."

  • All Blacks relieved after fending off powerful Argentina in Rugby Championship opener All Blacks relieved after fending off powerful Argentina in Rugby Championship opener

    New Zealand found it "bloody tough" to get the job done against Argentina, number eight Ardie Savea admitted.

    The All Blacks came out on top 20-16 in Buenos Aires as they began their Rugby Championship campaign on a winning note.

    But after first-half tries from Ngani Laumape and Brodie Retallick, and 10 points from the boot of Beauden Barrett, New Zealand were kept scoreless in the second half.

    They were clinging on at the end, and Savea agreed when asked if it felt like a "war" against the Pumas.

    Savea told SKY Sport NZ: "It was, mate. It was bloody tough out there.

    "The Argentinian players came out firing and just kept coming at us the full 80 minutes. I’m just proud of the boys for sticking in there.

    "We just talked about the next moment and dominating the next moment, so when we made mistakes we'd just connect and talk about the the next moment and how we could dominate that, and hopefully gain momentum."

    New Zealand will regroup for next weekend's home game against South Africa, and look to work out how Argentina caused them so many difficulties.

    "They bought a bit of line speed on our attack and they put our skills under pressure," Savea said.

    "And at times their pressure worked. We'll learn from that hopefully."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.