NFL

Coronavirus: NFL facilities should open at same time – Steelers coach Tomlin

By Sports Desk May 09, 2020

Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin believes it is only fair to re-open NFL facilities at the same time amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The NFL has laid out a plan for all 32 teams to have their facilities prepared to be re-opened by Friday, May 15.

Commissioner Roger Goodell sent a memo to all teams on Wednesday, informing them of the protocols put in place to have their complexes ready to open, and will then advise them as to when they can formally allow personnel to enter.

The first phase allows 50 per cent of non-player personnel permitted in the facility and only players continuing their rehab and therapy that they began before facilities were ordered to close in late March. The second phase involves increasing the number of staff members and players.

Tomlin spoke to reporters via a conference call on Saturday and said: "I prescribe to the approach of competitive fairness within our game, and that is everybody gets an opportunity.

"Our game is extremely competitive. It's one of the things that make football at this level so attractive to our fans.

"I'm committed to preserving and protecting that, and so all teams getting an opportunity to start on the same footing is a core element of that."

Tomlin added: "There's a couple of things that we're committed to adhering to, and that's the global approach of the National Football League in regards to football ops and how important competitive fairness is in our game.

"We all got to get started on the same footing in that regard. Then, also, respecting our local government and the guidelines they prescribe individually in terms of workplace safety.

"Those are the two key components for us. We're in a wait-and-see mindset, and we'll be ready to go when both boxes are checked."

Related items

  • French Open 2020: You have to roll with the punches this year – Serena Williams French Open 2020: You have to roll with the punches this year – Serena Williams

    Serena Williams said she does not have any expectations at the French Open and is simply "rolling with the punches" this year amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    The rescheduled French Open will get underway at Roland Garros on Sunday, with new government restrictions only allowing 1,000 fans per day.

    The French Open was due to take place from May to June but the COVID-19 crisis forced the grand slam to be pushed back in Paris.

    As former world number one and sixth seed Williams gears up for her opening-round match against Kristie Ahn, the 23-time grand slam champion was asked about her preparations and said: "It's so different, but I feel like this year, you've just got to roll with the punches.

    "You can't expect anything and there are so many things, negative things - and positive - a lot of world changes that happened this year, so I'm not really feeling any bad way about anything really."

    Williams experienced the US Open without fans in New York earlier this month – the American superstar beaten in the semi-finals by Victoria Azarenka.

    The 39-year-old will resume her bid for a record-equalling 24th major crown at the French Open, where she has won three titles.

    "I think the only difference is that it's at the end of September. Usually I end my season after the [US] Open, but this time around I'm here at Roland-Garros," Williams said. "That's the only difference. It's always cold for me."

    Williams will also go from the American hard courts straight to clay without a lead-up tournament.

    "I honestly don't really think about it," she added. "I think I had some good practices. I haven't played on clay yet, so we'll see.

    "I thoroughly enjoy the clay so much, I just love it. So I'm looking forward to playing some."

  • Pacquiao's camp confirms 2021 McGregor showdown to raise money for COVID-19 victims Pacquiao's camp confirms 2021 McGregor showdown to raise money for COVID-19 victims

    Manny Pacquiao will fight former UFC champion Conor McGregor in 2021 to raise money for victims of coronavirus.

    On Friday, McGregor – who sensationally retired in June – claimed he was set to step into the ring with boxing legend Pacquiao in the Middle East next year.

    Pacquiao's camp confirmed the bout on Saturday, with the 41-year-old's Filipino aide Jayke Joson saying via ESPN: "For the sake of all the Filipino Covid-19 victims, Senator Manny Pacquiao will be fighting UFC superstar Conor McGregor next year.

    "The huge portion of his earnings will proceed to those who are affected nationwide by the pandemic."

    McGregor – who has not fought since his win over Donald Cerrone in January – lost to unbeaten boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. in August 2017.

    Pacquiao (62-7-2) fought twice last year, winning the WBA (Super) welterweight title by beating Keith Thurman in July 2019.

  • Pogba still not fully fit but will come good for Man Utd - Solskjaer Pogba still not fully fit but will come good for Man Utd - Solskjaer

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says Paul Pogba is still not fully fit but backed the Manchester United midfielder to "get better and better" after the dramatic 3-2 win at Brighton and Hove Albion.

    Pogba did not have a full pre-season with United after testing positive for coronavirus last month.

    The France midfielder was ineffective as the Red Devils slumped to a 3-1 home defeat against Crystal Palace in their first game of the Premier League season last weekend.

    Pogba was taken off midway through the second half of that surprise loss at Old Trafford and was also withdrawn after 65 minutes of a thriller against Brighton at the Amex Stadium on Saturday.

    United boss Solskjaer defended the former Juventus man, after Bruno Fernandes snatched all three points with a penalty 10 minutes into time added on following a VAR check that took place after the final whistle had blown.

    Solskjaer said of Pogba: "He missed a lot of pre-season because of his illness. He's not had internationals or the friendly against Villa.

    "The two 65 minutes he's had will help him along and he'll just get better and better."

    Brighton hit the woodwork five times and had a penalty decision overturned but looked to have earned a point through Solly March before the late twist.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.