NFL

Aldon Smith signs for Cowboys after five-year NFL absence

By Sports Desk April 02, 2020

Aldon Smith has confirmed he has signed for the Dallas Cowboys, five years after he played his last NFL snap.

The 30-year-old defensive end, a first-round draft pick for the San Francisco 49ers nine years ago, had 33.5 sacks in 2011 and 2012 - the most of any player across their first two NFL seasons.

However, off-field problems blighted Smith and he was arrested for driving under the influence three times during his time with the Niners, who cut Smith in 2015.

He signed for the Raiders and played nine games in his first year, but Smith was suspended indefinitely by the NFL for violating the league's substance abuse and personal conduct policies, and he sat out the entire 2016 and 2017 seasons.

In 2018, shortly after Smith was named as a suspect in a domestic violence incident, the Raiders released the defensive end.

However, Smith is now set to return to the NFL having agreed a reported one-year, $4million contract with the Cowboys.

Smith would need to be officially reinstated by the NFL before that contract can begin, though Dallas are reportedly confident that hurdle can be cleared.

In an Instagram post where he was pictured signing his contract, Smith wrote: "Life is good. I'm thankful. I'm blessed. I'm a Cowboy."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Massachusetts teams can re-open practice facilities, Celtics set to resume workouts Coronavirus: Massachusetts teams can re-open practice facilities, Celtics set to resume workouts

    Massachusetts governor Charlie Baker said the state's five professional sports teams can re-open their practice facilities on June 6 as the Boston Celtics prepare to return on Monday.

    The coronavirus pandemic has wreaked havoc across the globe, especially in the United States, where the NBA, MLS and NHL seasons have been postponed since March.

    The start of the 2020 MLB campaign has also been delayed due to COVID-19, which has killed over 104,500 people in the USA.

    But the Celtics, Boston Red Sox, Boston Bruins, New England Patriots and New England Revolution will be able to resume practicing next month, in compliance with the health and safety rules set in place by their respective leagues.

    "The leagues are obviously working hard to host games again and I think we all hope opening practices will make that happen a little sooner," Baker said on Friday.

    "For all of us, live sports and especially pro sports would be a great thing to see again. It's not only a significant milestone for fans, but also a signal that we continue to do all the things we need to do."

    NBA franchise the Celtics, meanwhile, will allow voluntary individual workouts at the Auerbach Center on Monday.

    The NBA has been on hiatus since March, but the league is reportedly planning to restart the 2019-20 campaign on July 31.

    "We're happy that our players will now have the option to work out individually in a safe environment at the Auerbach Center, and we hope it signals a step back towards playing basketball again," Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said.

    The Celtics (43-21) were third in the Eastern Conference, behind NBA leaders the Milwaukee Bucks and defending champions the Toronto Raptors at the time of the postponement.

  • Cowboys' Aldon Smith still feels great despite NFL layoff Cowboys' Aldon Smith still feels great despite NFL layoff

    Dallas Cowboys defensive end Aldon Smith said "I still feel great", despite five years away from the NFL.

    The NFL reinstated Smith from an indefinite suspension earlier this month, allowing the former All-Pro an opportunity to return to American football for the first time since November 2015.

    Smith's ban was lifted, with the 30-year-old's career plagued by substance-abuse and off-field problems – he was suspended for violating the league's substance-abuse and personal-conduct policies as a member of the Las Vegas Raiders in 2015.

    Despite an extended absence, Smith – who signed a one-year contract with the Cowboys – does not believe he will be impacted by his time away from the game.

    "I still feel great," Smith said on Friday. "I still feel young. I still can move well. I still have a great knowledge of the game, if not better knowledge of the game. I learned a lot from the guys I played with in California and they taught me a lot of good things."

    Smith added: "It has been a journey, indeed, and a journey I'm grateful for. I've had time to really work on myself and take advantage of all the support and things that have been offered to me.

    "The way I look at where I am now to who I was in the past, I was a young teenage boy in a man's body, so a man on the outside but a boy on the inside. The way I handled the issues, life, was in that immature manner and that was fear-based and not just handling things the way I should have.

    "With the time I've had to work on myself, it's allowed me to grow into the man that I man that I am so the man on the inside fits on how the man on the outside looks."

  • Bengals QB Burrow and Dolphins coach Flores speak out on Floyd's death Bengals QB Burrow and Dolphins coach Flores speak out on Floyd's death

    Joe Burrow said "the black community needs our help" as the Cincinnati Bengals quarterback spoke out on the death of George Floyd.

    Floyd – an African-American man – died in Minneapolis after a police officer was filmed kneeling on his neck for at least eight minutes during the arrest.

    Violent protests have broken out across the United States since Floyd's death on Monday, after he was filmed crying out for help as he was handcuffed and pinned to the ground.

    Burrow – the number one pick in this year's NFL Draft – used social media to have his say amid the fierce backlash and riots.

    "The black community needs our help. They have been unheard for far too long. Open your ears, listen, and speak. This isn't politics. This is human rights," Burrow tweeted on Friday.

    Miami Dolphins head coach Brian Flores also addressed the issue that has engulfed the country.

    Flores, who is one of four minority coaches in the 32-team NFL, said in a statement: "I've had the privilege of being a part of many different circles that have included some very powerful and influential people of all different races and genders. The events of the last few weeks have brought some of the memories of those conversations back to light.

    "I vividly remember the Colin Kaepernick conversations. 'Don't ever disrespect the flag' was the phrase that I heard over and over again. This idea that players were kneeling in support of social justice was something some people couldn't wrap their head around. The outrage that I saw in the media and the anger I felt in some of my own private conversations caused me to sever a few long-standing friendships.

    "Most recently, I've had conversations about incentivising teams for hiring minorities. Again, there was some outrage in the media and talks that this would cause division amongst coaches, executives and ownership. I bring these situations up because I haven't seen the same OUTRAGE from people of influence when the conversation turns to Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and most recently George Floyd.

    "Many people who broadcast their opinions on kneeling [during the national anthem] or on the hiring of minorities don't seem to have an opinion on the recent murders of these young black men and women.

    "I think many of them quietly say that watching George Floyd plead for help is one of the more horrible things they have seen, but it's said amongst themselves where no one can hear. Broadcasting that opinion clearly is not important enough.

    "I lead a group of young men who have the potential to make a real impact in this world. My message to them and anyone else who wants to listen is that honesty, transparency and empathy go a long way in bringing people together and making change. I hope that the tragedies of the last few weeks will open our hearts and minds to a better way of communicating and hopefully create that change."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.