NFL

Patrick Mahomes 'optimistic' on Chiefs contract and vows to work on pocket presence

By Sports Desk March 02, 2020

Patrick Mahomes is "optimistic" of agreeing a new contract with the Kansas City Chiefs and has praised the team for how they "handle things the right way".

With one year left on his rookie deal, Mahomes is in line for a lucrative extension after winning NFL MVP in 2018, his first year as a starter, before he was Super Bowl MVP in the Chiefs' dramatic win over the San Francisco 49ers last month.

The team and player have repeatedly expressed their mutual desire for a deal to be done and the 24-year-old remains confident that will happen at the right time.

"The best thing about this team and this organization is they handle things the right way," Mahomes said to SiriusXM NFL Radio.

"So, for me, obviously, I'm optimistic of getting that contract and extending my time in Kansas City. 

"I'm just going to go about being who I am just like I have since the beginning since I was the backup until now. That's just to go out there, love this game, treat people the right way, and all that stuff handles itself. 

"I'm optimistic just to be able to be a Kansas City Chief for a long time."

The Chiefs retain control over Mahomes for the foreseeable future, with the fifth-year option in 2021 and the franchise tag available after that should there be any complications in negotiations, which may not gather pace before the new CBA.

Quarterback Mahomes also discussed his offseason routine, which will consist of work on his body before a bid to improve his pocket presence.

He added: "These first few weeks, I've really kind of been building the injury prevention stuff. The stuff I dealt with this year, with the ankle and with the knee, I've really been getting after that.

"I'm trying to make sure I can be 100 percent going into this next season, 120 percent, and ready to take on the impact of another entire football season. 

"Every year is different, you've got to find ways to go out there and win football games. As of right now, it has been about my body and getting myself in the best shape possible.

"As I get on to it and start working with my quarterback coach in quarterback drills, I'll work on my footwork and work on that stuff.

"I can be better from the pocket and keep getting better because that's an area I still need to improve on. If I can get better there, extending plays is just a bonus."

With free agency approaching, the Super Bowl champions are expected to use the franchise tag or transition tag on Pro-Bowl defensive lineman Chris Jones as they shape their roster for another championship run.

Related items

  • Texans DE Watt says asking for extension would be ‘wrong move’ Texans DE Watt says asking for extension would be ‘wrong move’

    J.J Watt has put together a Hall of Fame resume and been the face of the Houston Texans franchise for the last decade.

    The star defensive end, however, is not about to ask the Texans to restructure his contract, despite having two years and no guaranteed money left on his deal. 

    "I'm going out there to prove what I'm worth," Watt said during a conference call on Wednesday. "And I believe that's the right situation for everybody.

    "I think if I went back and asked for an extension, more money, anything right now, I think that would be the wrong move."

    The 31-year-old Watt is signed for the next two seasons, with non-guaranteed base salaries of $15.5million in 2020 and $17.5million in 2021.

    He is a five-time Pro Bowler and a three-time AP Defensive Player of the Year award winner, but Watt realises he does not have much leverage for trying to negotiate a new deal given his health the past few seasons. 

    After playing all 16 games his first five NFL seasons, he appeared in more than eight games just once in the last four. He missed eight games last season with a torn pectoral muscle but was able to return in time for the playoffs. 

    “I think that I fully understand and respect the situation that I’m in at the moment and what's happened in the past few years," he said. "So I’m not going to sit here and demand anything.”"

    That could change, however, if Watt stays healthy in 2020 and returns to his Pro Bowl form. 

    "I'm just going out there and trying to prove my worth, help this team win games, and doing everything I can to earn and make sure that these people know that I’m worth it," he said. 

  • Rams CB Jalen Ramsey says he definitely will report to training camp Rams CB Jalen Ramsey says he definitely will report to training camp

    Los Angeles Rams cornerback Jalen Ramsey is still seeking a long-term contract extension, but he says he will not hold out and will attend training camp.

    Ramsey earned his third straight Pro Bowl selection last season and is widely considered among the best in the league at his position.

    Acquired from the Jacksonville Jaguars in October for two first-round picks, Ramsey totaled 33 tackles, four passes defended, one forced fumble and one interception in nine games for the Rams this past season.

    Ramsey will make $13.703million this upcoming season in the fifth year of his rookie deal and the Rams have already said they realise he deserves to be one of the NFL's highest-paid cornerbacks.

    "It will get handled," Ramsey said on Tuesday in a video conference call.

    "The Rams know where I stand, and that's all that matters. They've been in contact with my agent. They're on the same page. They know what's up … Everybody knew what type of situation it was going to be once they traded for me. I think it doesn't need to be talked about that much. It'll get handled."

    Ramsey's contract could end up exceeding the five-year, $82.5m deal that the Miami Dolphins gave Byron Jones in March that made him the highest-paid cornerback in the league.

    "There's a lot of dialogue," Rams coach Sean McVay said on a video conference with reporters. "The anticipation in acquiring him is that he is a Ram for a long time. We went and got this guy with the hope that it's not a short-term thing."

  • Coronavirus: Dolphins owner Ross says NFL season will ‘definitely’ happen Coronavirus: Dolphins owner Ross says NFL season will ‘definitely’ happen

    Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross is certain there will be a 2020 NFL season - and he remains hopeful of fans being able to watch from the stands.

    The NFL season is set to kick off on September 10, and the league is hopeful it will begin on time amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    Some NFL teams were able to open their facilities for key staff, medical personnel and rehabbing players last week, but there is still no word on when all players and coaches will be cleared to attend their team's complexes.

    "I think there definitely will be a football season this year," Ross said on Tuesday during an interview on CNBC. "Real question is, will there be fans in the stadium?

    "Right now - today - we're planning to have fans in the stadium.

    "But I think the NFL is very flexible so that we will be able to start on time and bring that entertainment that is really so needed to all of us in this country."

    Currently in the United States, there is no scheduled start date for games in MLB, NBA, NHL or MLS, as some cities have still not yet loosened their social distancing and stay-at-home orders.

    "We all miss our sports," Ross said. "The NFL, I think, will be ready to go. I know we're all looking forward to it. I know I am."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.