NFL

Mason Rudolph calls reiterated claim he racially abused Myles Garrett a 'bold-faced lie'

By Sports Desk February 15, 2020

Mason Rudolph said Myles Garrett's claim the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback racially abused him prior to their on-field brawl in November is a "bold-faced lie" and "1,000 per cent false".

Garrett was suspended indefinitely by the NFL after he ripped off Rudolph's helmet and hit him over the head with it in the closing stages of the Cleveland Browns' Week 10 victory over the Steelers.

Although Garrett initially apologised for his actions, he subsequently accused Rudolph of using a racial slur, a claim that was vehemently denied by the Steelers signal-caller at the time.

Following an investigation, an NFL spokesperson said the league found "no evidence" to support Garrett's allegation.

After being reinstated by the Browns this week, Garrett again said Rudolph racially abused him, telling ESPN: "He called me the N-word. He called me a 'stupid N-word'."

Responding to a clip of the interview on Twitter, Rudolph said: "1,000 per cent false. Bold-faced lie. I did not, have not, and would not utter a racial slur.

"This is a disgusting and reckless attempt to assassinate my character."

Rudolph's attorney and agent Timothy M. Younger suggested legal action could be taken against Garrett.

A statement posted by Younger read: "We waited to hear the entire interview. Garrett, after originally apologising to Mason Rudolph, has made the ill-advised choice of publishing the belated and false accusation that Mr. Rudolph uttered a racial slur on the night in question.

"Not that Mr. Garrett claims that Mr. Rudolph uttered the slur simultaneously with being taken down, and before Mr. Garrett committed a battery by striking Mr. Rudolph on the head with a 6 lb helmet.

"His claim is ludicrous. The obviously was not the first time Mr. Rudolph had been sacked by an African American player. Mr. Garrett maliciously uses this false allegation to cox sympathy, hoping to be excused for what clearly is inexcusable behaviour.

"Despite other players and the referee being in the immediate vicinity, there are zero corroborating witnesses – as confirmed by the NFL.

"Although Mr. Rudolph had hoped to move forward, it is Mr. Garrett who has decided to utter this defamatory statement – in California. He is now exposed to legal liability."

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said: "I support Mason Rudolph not only because I know him, but also because I was on that field immediately following the altercation with Myles Garrett, and subsequently after the game.

"I interacted with a lot of people in the Cleveland Browns organisation – players and coaches. If Mason said what Myles claimed, it would have come out during the many interactions I had with those in the Browns organisation.

"In my conversations, I had a lot of expressions of sorrow for what transpired. I received no indication of anything racial or anything of that nature in those interactions."

Related items

  • Rams CB Jalen Ramsey says he definitely will report to training camp Rams CB Jalen Ramsey says he definitely will report to training camp

    Los Angeles Rams cornerback Jalen Ramsey is still seeking a long-term contract extension, but he says he will not hold out and will attend training camp.

    Ramsey earned his third straight Pro Bowl selection last season and is widely considered among the best in the league at his position.

    Acquired from the Jacksonville Jaguars in October for two first-round picks, Ramsey totaled 33 tackles, four passes defended, one forced fumble and one interception in nine games for the Rams this past season.

    Ramsey will make $13.703million this upcoming season in the fifth year of his rookie deal and the Rams have already said they realise he deserves to be one of the NFL's highest-paid cornerbacks.

    "It will get handled," Ramsey said on Tuesday in a video conference call.

    "The Rams know where I stand, and that's all that matters. They've been in contact with my agent. They're on the same page. They know what's up … Everybody knew what type of situation it was going to be once they traded for me. I think it doesn't need to be talked about that much. It'll get handled."

    Ramsey's contract could end up exceeding the five-year, $82.5m deal that the Miami Dolphins gave Byron Jones in March that made him the highest-paid cornerback in the league.

    "There's a lot of dialogue," Rams coach Sean McVay said on a video conference with reporters. "The anticipation in acquiring him is that he is a Ram for a long time. We went and got this guy with the hope that it's not a short-term thing."

  • Coronavirus: Dolphins owner Ross says NFL season will ‘definitely’ happen Coronavirus: Dolphins owner Ross says NFL season will ‘definitely’ happen

    Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross is certain there will be a 2020 NFL season - and he remains hopeful of fans being able to watch from the stands.

    The NFL season is set to kick off on September 10, and the league is hopeful it will begin on time amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    Some NFL teams were able to open their facilities for key staff, medical personnel and rehabbing players last week, but there is still no word on when all players and coaches will be cleared to attend their team's complexes.

    "I think there definitely will be a football season this year," Ross said on Tuesday during an interview on CNBC. "Real question is, will there be fans in the stadium?

    "Right now - today - we're planning to have fans in the stadium.

    "But I think the NFL is very flexible so that we will be able to start on time and bring that entertainment that is really so needed to all of us in this country."

    Currently in the United States, there is no scheduled start date for games in MLB, NBA, NHL or MLS, as some cities have still not yet loosened their social distancing and stay-at-home orders.

    "We all miss our sports," Ross said. "The NFL, I think, will be ready to go. I know we're all looking forward to it. I know I am."

  • The Match: Tiger and Manning hold off rallying Mickelson and Brady The Match: Tiger and Manning hold off rallying Mickelson and Brady

    Tiger Woods and Peyton Manning earned bragging rights against Phil Mickelson and Tom Brady in "The Match", but charity was the real winner.

    It was an all-star cast for The Match: Champions for Charity – arranged to raise funds for coronavirus relief efforts – as 15-time major champion Woods teamed up with two-time Super Bowl winner Manning.

    Woods and Manning secured a 1up victory over Mickelson and six-time Super Bowl champion Brady in Hobe Sound, Florida on Sunday.

    Mickelson and Brady made a late surge on the back nine, but Woods and Manning held on at Medalist Golf Club, where social distancing was front and centre.

    More importantly, over $20million was raised to help with COVID-19 relief amid the pandemic, which has wreaked havoc globally.

    Bad weather delayed the charity contest by 45 minutes but there was plenty of fun and entertainment once the players teed off, with PGA Tour star Justin Thomas and NBA Hall of Famer Charles Barkley headlining the broadcast.

    The star quartet exchanged banter, while Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Brady struggled early.

    Brady did not look like the NFL's G.O.A.T with a golf club in hand, until holing out for birdie from the fairway at the par-four fifth hole in South Florida.

    Team Brady and Mickelson rallied, however, the Woods-Manning pairing were not to be denied.

    "It's great, the fact that we all came together and we were able to raise $20million for those that have been so severely affected," said Woods, with the PGA Tour planning to return next month after golf was suspended in March due to the COVID-19 crisis. "This is our arena. This is what we do. We couldn't imagine going out onto the field and doing what they do."

    Former NFL quarterback Manning said: "I know Tom and I were kind of comparing notes and feelings to each other. To go behind the ropes in these guys' world and kind of be in the arena with them, it was a really special experience. I was not comfortable the entire time, from the first tee all the way down here."

    Mickelson – a five-time major winner – added: "We fought hard. I was a little nervous, a little tight on the front nine. My man kept us in there, and the back nine he really shined. We made a run and came really close."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.